Teddy Ruxben™ shakes the Foundation (RoD/SoD vs Foundation)

- Maxim Archive.

Teddy Ruxbenâ„¢ shakes the Foundation (RoD/SoD vs Foundation)

Postby Zanafien » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:18 am

((OOC: For those that want to know:

Sheiks of Dispair (SoD) 6 1,727,475 287,912
Renegades of Despair (RoD) 10 2,815,053 281,505

DARDEN 16 4,542,528 283,908

Foundation (Foundation) 14 7,778,926 555,637

((/OOC))

“Lord Zanafien, there is a rumour upon the wind about Teddy Ruxben™. It would seem there was a sighting of one meeting that description in the lands of the Foundation where it is supposedly being held by one Lord Furor.”

“Furor!? Yes, yes…it could very assuredly be him. If he somehow found out about the artefact inside, he may be studying it as we speak, and it is absolutely imperative we do not allow knowledge of this into the hands of those who might not know how to use it. We have no choice but to speak with Lord Link about this, as he is quite aware of the possible damage which could be wrought with this teddy bear. I should never have animated the creature, but it is too late for regrets. Prepare the sorcerors and get my chief of intelligence in here. We will be going to war.”

Turning, he sent a message to Lord Link on the wind, explaining the situation and explaining the dire circumstances that could come about should Furor discover any of the powers the relic might hold within. Even Zan had not found much out about the device or its uses, but had discovered it held immense powers waiting to be unlocked.

“Sir, what if it is not Teddy Ruxben™?”

Zanafien glanced up. “What do you mean?”

“Well, it might not be him.”

The Lich of Despair thought about this for long moments, weighing the consequences should it fail to be the animated bear. On one hand, they would have made a serious mistake in assuming the bear was in the hands of Foundation and have harmed innocents in doing so. He was not happy with that possibility, but on the other hand, if Furor did hold the artefact, then it most assuredly would spell doom for all on the isle should it be used improperly, and that was something he was not willing to chance.

“You have informed me of Foundation’s steady rise in lands and power, yes?”

“Yes, milord.”

“They could very well be seen as a threat to others, and even to us. Therefore, we will use that same old tired excuse of believing them to be a possible threat to our continued existence upon the isle.”

“Isn’t that a lie?”

“Not really, it is merely a spin on the facts, an elaboration of the truth. In truth, they could be a threat to us if they continued their steady rise in power, so it is not wholly an untruth, merely an elimination of some facts. It’s also called politics, or should I say diplomacy? If we tell them we are after Teddy Ruxben™, then they will begin to wonder what is so special about a stuffed teddy bear. If they already have the bear, they know what is unique within it, and will do everything they can to defend against it.”

The scout nodded, finally understanding. “Diplomacy and Politics are very dangerous games, it would seem milord.”

“Filled with pitfalls and traps, so that it makes you wish sometimes you had never become involved in them. Go out and start organizing our forces. I believe we will have additional help for this, considering these reports. I’m sure Lord Link will invite the Sheiks to aid us in this search and rescue.”

[center]**********[/center]

In hours, the forces of Darden had allied and began the assault. Naturally, those kingdoms of Foundation were what had been expected by the followers of the Lord of Despair. With the aid of the Sheiks, and the combined sorceries of both guilds, slowly they began to gain some purchase, but it was only the beginning of this war, and fate had not yet begun to play its hand.
Chaotic Undead Mage
~It is often better not to see an insult than to attempt to avenge it.~
Zanafien
Stablehand

Postby FieldCaptain_Galran » Wed Nov 12, 2003 2:59 pm

Wound rope and wood groaned for only seconds like a stiff wind pushing an old tree as the catapult launched. There was a rustle of the sling flinging its cargo into the air at a high arc as a high pitch shriek of glee faded into the sky. On other side, more groaning and shrieks issued followed by the grunting little workers working the winches on the sides in pairs pulling the catapults back into a firing position. Loud sharp wooden thocks issued from triple headed ballistae, arranged in seemingly random staggered positions besides the catapults flinging wooden stakes several feet long through the air. As one large bolt left the string, the ballista's head shifted from left to right lining up the second and then the third while the first was reloaded.

By the end of the volley from the ballistaes, dark specks would appear in the sky hurdling swiftly down at the fort under siege. Over the din of the siegers and attackers vying for the walls and gate, a multitude of excitedly terrified shrieks trailed down like whistling ... things. From the dark objects, a pair of crude wings detached and flipped uselessly in the breeze leaving the small found objects flailing in the air moments before slamming into the battlements and buildings within the long rectangular walls. As they disappeared within, muted explosions rocked the earth as bits of structures and defending personal became airborne for only minutes. Those that fell over the wall hit solid earth as the crowd of dimunitive figures below parted with only a few hapless crushed kobolds here and there.

Another volley from the ballistaes pelted the wall and the structures beyond before the next set of dark spots descended.

"Think these K.T.H's (Kobold To Heathens) are working dad?" Jessica shouted over the chaotic swirl of barks, yips, and noise of the battle.

"Positive! I mean, it's psychological wa-tchit!" Galran shouted as he stepped aside from the ladder crew that bumped into his backside. The lead kobold grunted at him as he barked and they started forward like thin caterpillars making a beeline with their brethren to reinforce the seigers on the right side of the wall that had managed to bridge what remained of the moat.

"Psychowhat?" Jessica shouted back waving frantically for the kobolds with large backs and crude wings strapped to their backs to take their place on the catapults to her left.

"Warfare! I mean, you got these buggers dugging under the wall, got them climbing over it, and you got them flying down with explosives! Who Wouldn't cave under something like that?!" Galran replied waving a small orange flag over his head signalling a second battering ram to take the place of the first that lay burning in front of the gate like a funeral pyre with dozens of small bodies around it.

The pair watched as the next round of flying kobolds fell into the fort blowing a soldiers off the wall. They winced as one missed the structure entirely and fell directly against a ladder crew that had just successfully placed their ladder and were climbing. Defenders cheered briefly before a rain of arrows poured down wall. Galran and Jessica turned to face the source of the arrows and found elves clad in a deep green but with orange gold standards of Darden lining up and firing from the distant treeline.

"Oh good, our allies have arrived." Galran commented idly.

"How long do you think this place will last?" Jessica asked. Galran gave her a sidelong glance.

"I'm supposed to be asking You that there Sarge."

"Sorry dad."

"That's Sir to you."

"Tight ass." Jessica muttered

"What?" Galran asked looking back to her.

"They'll fight to the last!" Jessica beamed up at her father.

"Oh... Uh.... Okay. Go tell you mom we'll be late for dinner then."

Jessica saluted and trotted off down the hill towards the camp half a mile in the distance weaving her way through the rush of kobolds swarming out of tunnels either directly to the fort or into another set where the sappers were digging under the wall. Galran inhaled and popped his neck.

"It's a good war." He beamed and covered his eyes to watch giant hawk mounted elves fly over the fort deftly dodging the falling kobolds who pulled on strings and opened billowing strings attached to sheets to slow their descent into the keep while raining an arrowy hell on the heathen archer on the walls.
Field Captain of the Re-Employed Koboldic Aerial Legions
LoF Motto: 'Spleling! itso ur froteh! REELYL!"
FieldCaptain_Galran
Stablehand

Postby Pastor » Wed Nov 12, 2003 9:08 pm

OOC: WOW, You guys got some balls good first strike. Lets have a good war!

War was indeed a burden upon the lands of the Foundation, so many times the enemy had come to their gates seeking knowledge, refuge, and on those not so rare occasions, blood. It was a day like any day, brisk for evenfall, the winds had picked up and Pastor needed his leather coat he had purchased for his walks in the orchards just inside the keep walls. He had just enjoyed his morning breakfast and was now strolling through the winding orchards with his consort; the very capable and able bodied Aeryn Krynn. Consort was a harsh thing to call her though, for she had been a good friend and confidant back in his Senate days, even now when the world seemed to hate him she showed nothing but compassion for the young man.

“What do you think will happen next Chancellor? The other faiths are demanding to be heard; they are demanding equal say in the control of the continent. We can see what such firebrands like Eisheth had done under the premise of ‘fairness’ how can we be assured they will treat us with equal respect.”

Pastor smiled as the two walked, their trench coats dangling behind them, scraping their boots as the came to the next walkway, “I cannot assure anything Aeryn, all I can say is that I tire of the mind numbing diatribe of the weaker faiths, they moan if we war for our own safety, they whine when we build upon newly given lands from the church, hell they even cry when we catch their scouts and assassins in our own lands. I would gladly accept an armistice if only …”

The aide was running quite quickly and both Pastor and Aeryn turn to see the flabbergasted young man huffing and puffing as he came to a stop in front of his Chancellor, “Chancellor, I bear news from the Intelligence Directorate and Lord Furor, we are being attacked, full scale invasion!”

Pastor turned to Aeryn and grabbed her hand firmly in his, raising it slowly as the young aide watched calmly, “I trust I will see you again dear lady?”

Aeryn nodded an affirmative and returned the bow, “Whenever you wish Eminence.”

Pastor kissed her hand gently and then turned to the aide, putting his arm around him and comforting him, “Tell me, who is responsible for this attack.” The two began as Aeryn left back towards the guest quarters.

“The Sheiks and the Renegades of Despair. They … well they began to raid villages on the fringe of our territories, but they have yet to even touch some of the older more prestigious landmarks. Thus far, the Directorate estimates that our sorcerers will hold back their powerful magics while our scouts have hung as many as a thousand drow, shakes, and human vagabonds.”

Pastor nodded silently, “You did say the Forces of Despair correct? I mean, their gross national product is not even close to ours, for them to do this they would be putting themselves in even greater peril than what we would normally expect from the foolhardy Darden Regime.”
The aide caught his breath and nodded at the thinking Chancellor, “I guess so, and all I can tell you is that our forces are marching even now on the territories of the Forces of Despair. Your personal contingent stands by for orders, they had taken quite a beating while protecting the borders of the newer protectorates.”

Pastor stopped and released the aide, “Send for me when the time for diplomacy is required, it is better that I stay out of the politics of war right now, I believe full heartedly in the command abilities of Lady Arwydd, Lord Furor, Lord Ammon, and Lord Nitetime. If there are any other questions, forward them to me personally. In the meantime …” Pastor looked back to where Aeryn was walking away, “I have some other business to attend to. Please keep me informed … I am sorry I didn’t catch your name young man.”

The young aide turned and shakily spoke his own name as though it was a curse, “Laurence.”

“Well then Laurence, you can be my relay, let them all know I will meet them in Mosinee within one day to discuss our losses and to evaluate our situation. Until then, I leave it in their most competent hands.” Laurence bowed deeply and then started back off towards the keep. Pastor watched him run then turned back to reach Aeryn before she had left the orchards.
F O U N D A T I O N
Pastor
Stablehand

Postby Aeryn Krynn » Wed Nov 12, 2003 10:45 pm

He was being kind again; he was always so kind to her. His breath was still minted, which was a good thing because if it hadn't been she would have had a hard time sitting close to him like she had for the past few days, here in the orchards. She knew he was a friend, nothing more, she knew better than to trust her feelings when he was in a position of power and she was not, it tended to cloud judgment. “So what is the military’s plan if you don't mind me asking?”

Pastor looked surprised when she turned to him, her ponytail nearly hitting him in the face, “We are working that out at the moment Aeryn, we should know soon enough." He paused, she noted it, "I am sure you will want to get back to Mosinee as soon as possible, your family there will need you for support.”

Dear goddess did he think her that blind, “You are right dear Pastor. I will take my leave this evening and head back to the homestead. Until then, we have more time to … debate a bit more on our earlier subjects.”

Pastor smiled and leaned forward kissing her gently on the cheek, “I would enjoy that greatly Aeryn, but unfortunately I have a meeting with the Financial Council later this evening, seems the Whigs are making a bid to replace our outdated seige weaponry.”

God Damnit! Why was he being such a stubborn wart now! “Very well Chancellor, I shall than hope to see you around the Secretariat then, I still venture those walls from time to time.” She said, hoping to lure him into asking her to stay.

She noticed his reaction to the thought of her not being around for awhile, he seemed to become very distraught, at least his face did as he looked out past her towards the falling leaves. “I guess then, I will see you when I have some more free time, but seeing as the Forces of Despair are challenging my rule again in these lands, that may be sometime.”

She felt compelled, yes that was the word, compelled to kiss him good-bye, which was strange, and especially for a special operative of the Intelligence Directorate such as she was. She really liked this unbridled oaf of a man; he was public, yet secretive and that intrigued her. For the past year she had been under orders by the Directorate to monitor Pastor Evencourt and maintain close proximity to him. Her orders had been clear, at least they had been clear to her when they were given. But now, with him in power, she did not understand why her orders had not been recalled, why their mistake in suspecting the Prime Minister had not been discarded and she allowed to enter into a more fulfilling assignment.

She knew that was why she had allowed her guard to drop around him while he was Prime Minister. She leaned in close and kissed him back ... but something went horribly wrong. Fulfilling … that is exactly how she could describe the kiss she gave him. It fulfilled her, but why? She would need more deliberation and from the look of Pastor’s face, so would he, she had kissed him not on the cheek as they had done over and over again this past week, no instead she had gone straight for the mouth, slipping the young man her flashing tongue.

What in the seven hells did I just do? She asked herself yet her mind was unable to answer, it was aflutter, so was his, she had to act quickly and with tact. Without another word to him, she grabbed her coat around her, pulled from his grasp, and headed away towards the gate. She did not look back at him, nor did she try to hide the tears streaking down her face from the sentries who greeted her warmly as she left the orchard, “G’dnight Mrs. Krynn.”

This evening was starting to really stink.
[center]Aeryn Krynn
Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds
its certainty, fight your fears and become immortal.

Foundation Agent[/center]
Aeryn Krynn
Stablehand

Bah..wrong alt

Postby Zanafien » Wed Nov 12, 2003 11:02 pm

Teddy Ruxben stood amazed as drow moved in and out of the kingdom of Lord Furor, obviously searching for him. There was no two ways about it, someone had seen him and now Zanafien was bring everything he could muster against the mighty Foundation in an effort to regain him.

I told you we should not have come here. We know this kingdom is stronger than at least two of the Renegade kingdoms put together and now they have launched an offensive to get me back. Oh, I’m in so much trouble when the master gets me back. Teddy thought, watching the waves of attackers throwing themselves against the border of Furor’s kingdom only to be pushed back.

Oh, please, do shut up. Look, we followed that wizardly fellow here to this city. Now, we need to locate him and get my home back so we can return to Zanafien’s realm. Then, perhaps, this war can end.

“Hey, what’s this?”

Ruxben went limp and appeared to be a normal stuffed bear.

“Oi, seems as if some young’un left a teddy laying about. Well, I guess I’ll take it back to me own.”

Roughly, he was picked up and carted off with the Foret soldier.

We have to get away from this buffoon.

What do you suggest.

Well, you have control over the body, not me. Stab him.

Um…I really don’t like doing that.

You are such a wimp. How do you ever expect to be part of Zanafien’s intelligence service if you aren’t willing to kill when it is necessary?

Okay…you’re right, I’ve got to learn to deal with this.

Pulling a long dagger, at least for a teddy bear, he dangled by one arm and began to time his strike. It was difficult, considering he was being swaying with the man’s walk. Another problem was locating an appropriate place to stab, with the leg being an obvious target, but not necessarily the best. If he was able to enhance his strength with his magic, he might get lucky and hit a blood vessel, but in the end, his decision was made for him.

Quite wasting time and get him in the groin. He will hit the ground like a pile of rocks and we can flee.

What about his friends?

Remember those pellets you found in your foot?

Yeah… The bear replied hesitantly.

Toss one in the middle of them while you run away. Nice big explosion, which will kill them completely, and no one is the wiser.

Okay.

With the aim of an expert swordsman, the stuffed bear enhanced his strength and timed his strike perfectly, the dagger digging deeply into the man’s groin region hitting vital and extremely painful areas. He dropped the bear, his friends stopping to look down at him as he fell, holding his bleeding private parts and bellowing at the top of his voice.

“By Foret! The teddy bear is moving!”

Three sets of eyes turned to look at the small orb that landed at their feet as the stuffed toy ran away.

“What the…”

It was the last thing any of the four would ever ask again as a brilliant flash and loud explosion turned their world into ash.
Chaotic Undead Mage
Zanafien
Stablehand

Postby Furor » Thu Nov 13, 2003 12:19 am

[OOC: kudos boys on a great hit, brass ones all around]

He grinned with pleasure as his troops prepared themselves for another offensive. It had been a long time since he had been left with offensive capabilities after an initial sweep. But these heathens had bitten off more than they could chew and now their borders were being pushed and broken through on all fronts.

He rode his horse through the kingdom towards the Darden lands, looking to catch up with his dispatched military he had stayed behind to coordinate an attack in the night by his thieves. Now it was time to take to the field and wield his sword.

The ride was a good one and as he descended through the village he watched the peasants go about their business. Dressed in his military attire few recognized him as their leader and so he was allowed to go about unnoticed by those around him. It was as he was leaving the direct vicinity that a strange sight caught his eye. It was far off but if he could believe what he saw then he’d seen a stuffed teddy bear knife a poor fellow in the groin!

He blinked twice, quickly.

By the Gods I must be getting old, what is that thing, a rat? A cat? No, it can't be!

The brown bear after escaping his temporary master ran towards the horseman and in a brilliant flash the day lit up as a great explosion rocked the earth. Furor and his horse were hurled on their side. It was by the narrowest of margins that he escaped being crushed by the horse.

Quickly he recovered his mount and scanning the area saw a little brown behind running it's furry legs off towards the border. Tearing after it he encouraged his horse to pick up the pace!

Heya! Move move MOVE!

He was unsure what to do, it was a teddy bear, some possessed bear or something, whatever it was he was intrigued. Should he catch it? Kill it? How did one kill a teddy bear? Vital organs? Oh well, whatever it was he would take it, it had just killed four of his peasants!

I'm coming for you, you little stuffed heathen! Prepare yourself for I will rip that hide from your body and use your innards as a pillow for my head!

Had the situation not just seen those citizens killed he probably would have laughed at the sight they must have made, a knight on his horse chasing down a wee little daemon possessed teddy bear. Not really a sight you expect to see every day.
[glow=red]Welcome my fury.[/glow]
Furor
Stablehand

Postby Valarn » Thu Nov 13, 2003 5:07 am

What is it to despair?
What is it, to be a renegade?

I stand here, and all I can think of is you, Sera.

He stood alone on the keep wall, keeping watch against the coming dawn. A year ago his world had been entirely different. He had lived with Sera, and together they had raised their son Arren - sheltered, they had thought, by the grace of Foret. It was then that war had come.

There were always rumours about war, it was a part of life. Yet even then it was something that affected other people, people you did not know - and people you did not care to know. Even with the talk of war being common place, it was a shock when it came, stealing everything held dear. That morning he had left his village, and everything had been fine. It was only the next day when he returned, but it had been savaged by a raiding party, with few survivors. Sheltered by the grace of Foret?

The Gods have never protected us.. it is us who protect them.

He stood on a keep dedicated to the protection of a God he cared nothing for, awaiting a dawn that would herald another war in which innocents would die. The history of Tonan was full of wars such as this, and the past months had seen him participate in more than the coming one. Why did he fight? First for vengeance and when that left, leaving him cold and barren inside, he fought on simply because he knew of nothing else to do with Sera gone. He was waiting for death to find him, he had no illusions about that - and it would one day, in a battle caused by Gods he loathed. He looked forward to that day yet was not about to hurry towards his death, as every man he killed was another child-killer, another brigand, another rapist. He thought of those he served with in the Renegades of Despair in the same way. They may be friendly, joke with him, they may have children of their own.. but given the order they would have destroyed his village, he could see it in their eyes.

The sun rose, and in accordance the keep came to life as those contained within awoke. Many of them were marching to war this day, but Valarn's duty was to defend the keep as part of the garrison. He knew whom the men would be marching against today, and knew also of the strength that laid within Foundation's borders. He would see battle in this war there was no doubting that, even if he was defending a keep.

Maybe I will see you soon Sera..

Take care of yourself she had said, the last words she had uttered to him. Take care of yourself.. he clung to those last words, kept on living because of them.

He would do as she said, but maybe.. just maybe he would soon see her again.
[center]To live without hope, forever.
Renegade of Despair
[/center]
Valarn
Stablehand

For the rains may come... or not

Postby Owl da Renegade » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:01 am

Scattered puffs of clouds dotted the sky, the crispness of the high altitude coldness making the surfaces of the clouds amazingly sleeked. Smooth sides and flattened bases made them look as floating white mountains with dark grey under bellies. Beautiful in all appearances, cauliflower imprints on their top sides, suggested turbulence and high winds at that altitude, maybe the chance of rain.

The clouds were set in a perfect backdrop of the illuminate fluorescent sky blue ceiling that was touched with a translucent whiteness of high ice cystals from the cirrostratus clouds. It was clear to Owl the clouds were begining to gather, joining themselves and forming rain clouds, threatening to release the rains.

Turning his attention through the trees he spyed the cities of Foundation. Having already met their amies in battle, both claiming victories and defeats, he waited so he could attack again. His eyes glowed softly in the shadows, hoping to catch a glimpse of the illusive Teddy Ruxben...
Have you ever heard the songs of the trees? "NO?" You haven't been listening have you...

~Divine Song~ in the Breeze
Owl da Renegade
Stablehand

Postby Teddy Ruxben™ » Thu Nov 13, 2003 7:47 pm

What do I do!?!?

Calm down first. We are going to create an illusion like Zan taught you to do. Remember how he showed you to produce a realistic grizzly should you ever be caught in a bad situation?

Yes! Worried eyes glanced behind him at the man on the horse bearing down on him quickly.

Well, quit talking about it and do it before this fool kills us. I can’t fix a sword swipe that will cut us in half.

Considering he still had a bit of distance between him and the man coming towards them, he turned and began to concentrate. In his mind’s eye, he imagined the look of a large grizzly, angered at its hibernation being cut short and towering massively while glaring down with incessant rage, just as Zanafien had taught him.

The voice within kept informing him of how they were going to do this. First, he would unleash the illusion. No matter what, this would bring the man up along with the horse, although it might not hold them off for long, it would hopefully give him time to get away.

A full-bodied grizzly seemed to stand up from the spot where Teddy Ruxben™ held his ground, saliva dripping from its gapping mouth as paws the size of a man’s head raised up in the air and a roar echoed across the grounds. The horse stopped, just as they had predicted, completely unprepared for this new arrival. Without missing a beat, the stuffed bear shot straight forward, running under the mounted beast.

Hamstring it! The voice shouted as the bear was about to escape from beneath the creature.

Without a question, the teddy bear reached out with his dagger and sliced across the back of the leg, cutting a deep wound, which given time would heal but incapacitate in the present. Enhancing his speed, the bear rushed from the scene, attempting to get away from the crazed human.

Two drow shot from the shadows, aimed at getting to the bear but the sudden burst of speed threw them off. Too late, they could only believe their best option was to keep the rider of the horse from getting to Zan’s bear, willing to lay down their lives for that purpose.

Teddy Ruxbenâ„¢ ran on, turned around now and moving deeper into Foundation territory, where he believed the wizardly type person had gone to. He glanced back to make sure the man on the horse was not following and saw the drow. They were good fighters, capable of taking on just about anything and if nothing else would slow him down. He looked quickly for signs of any more of them, for Zan usually kept thousands of intelligence agents and he would have sent them all. Luckily, it appeared that was the only two in the area, and the stuffed bear intended to make the best of it.
[center]Elite Intelligence and Assassination Operative
Sanctum Officio
Have you had YOUR Teddy Ruxben™ cuddles today?[/center]
Teddy Ruxben™
Stablehand

Postby Furor » Thu Nov 13, 2003 11:57 pm

What is this?!!?!?

He struggled with his horse as it plunged and kicked, the sight of a grizzly before it sending it into a panic. Finally getting the horse under control he pulled out his bow and with a quick motion shot an arrow through the grizzly?

An illusion! Quickly his eyes went to the stuffed bear but it was too late, he felt the horse collapse beneath him.

By the Gods you are an annoying little critter!

Jumping free from the beast now rendered useless he jumped after the teddy bear! It was moving faster now but his long legs soon ate up the distance that separated them. So close was he to the catching the elusive little daemon of Darden's stuffed animal collection he never noticed the drow that sent him reeling with a blow to his shoulder. Luckly the heathen had not had time to draw a blade or he would now be dead!

Where the hell do you all come from? Where are my thieves! This is not a free country! First a rampant stuffed animal now two heathen thieves? Fine, you wish to end your lives then come and I shall oblige your whims!

The battle that insued was too fast to watch, three men their daggers drawn, the preferred weapon of a thief they battled back and forth, nicking here and there but never getting a true blow in.

He battled hard to keep himself defended. These drow were well trained in their use of the blade and he found himself back peddling quickly to stay out of the reach of both blades. Against one the battle would have been quick but the two of them used their advantage well always attacking together, never alone. A quick dart in nicked his brow while another caught at his ribs but the time was coming to even the battle. The next lunge was just an inch too high, a slight imperfection that would cost this man his life. Deflecting the blade upwards he threw himself into the drow pushing him back into the second attacker. The three of them fell to the ground together in a jumble of arms and legs. However, as the two drow must be careful not to stab each other this was not a caution that Furor had to worry about and his blade sunk in over and over removing the life from these two thieves who had interrupted his charge.

Standing back up, his blade having been cleaned on the shirt of a heathen he gazed after the quickly disappearing stuffed bear. It was with a heavy sigh, but a sigh of relief that he wiped the blood from his eye....

Fine, you have escaped, but I have a feeling that it is better for me this way. Although, I would have dearly loved turning your innards into a pillow for my head at night. Perhaps we shall meet again some day you miniature heathen, but for now it looks like Arana will have to deal with you first as those are his lands you head into. I'm not sure which I pity more....
[glow=red]Welcome my fury.[/glow]
Furor
Stablehand

Postby Pastor » Fri Nov 14, 2003 12:36 am

“I understand quite well your concerns Senator Lenik and I assure you that they are being addressed during our briefings with the Ruling Council, but you must give us more time if you are to reap the profits we have promised you.” Pastor told the old man standing before the throne.

“You have promised us these profits for the past year and a half since your coronation to this prestigious position of Chancellor, may I remind you that House Lenik’s vote counted for nearly ten percent of the vote, you might not be in your current position if it was not for us.” The elderly senator spat back at the Chancellor.

Pastor found himself wishing for Aeryn’s presence now more than ever and that bothered him greatly. He had never relied on anyone before, at least not personally, and now with the Senate in an uproar, he missed her … a lot. Her presence had been soothing and restfully an anchor to which he would happily tie his life down to. But that was part of why he had to let her leave, she was trying to test his prowess with subtle attempts to manipulate him. He knew this, his other senses told him of it and warned him, “Senator, no one House is more important than the others, we have noted this before in memorandums from the Aggregate Secretariat and my own personal desk. Your claim to be one of the sole reasons I have claimed this title is nonsense!” Pastor turned back and took a sip from his goblet of wine, “Besides Senator Lenik, what has been done is done, the past cannot and will not be altered.”

Senator Lenik smiled graciously, “Very well Chancellor, have it your way.”

Pastor nodded in return, “I shall Senator, now can we count on your vote for the Hawk Party to continue their efforts to bolster our equipment surplus in the Northern and Western Protectorates?”

Senator Lenik might have been taken off guard by such a quick request for assistance after a serious rebuffing before the Secretariat if he had been twenty years younger, but here amongst the elderly pro-councils of House Lenik, he was used to just about anything a Chancellor would throw at him, “Of course your Eminence, House Lenik will continue their supply of monies as you see fit. You can count on our vote when it comes to pass before the Secretariat.”

Pastor looked about, hoping to see her face as these mind numbing proceedings continued. The Aggregate would give him whatever he desired, he knew that much, it was just that they wanted their cut too, such is the way of the politicians; always skimming the top for themselves. Pastor hated them so much he could almost bring himself to order their disbandment, but he didn’t, he knew what would happen without them, the people and their Chancellor would become out of touch and that would end everything. “Very well then, I am going to move for a motion to bring this bill before the Secretariat tomorrow morning, implementation should begin next week sometime, just before the Evenfall Festivities. Are there any other questions for the Chair before I retire for the evening.”

A young woman from the Faustland region stood up and bowed to the Chancellor, “Approach Senator.” Pastor said with almost a roll of the eyes when he saw the fire that was in her heart being worn like a badge of honor upon her sleeve, this would not be pleasant.

“Your honor, what of the attacks of the Despair, do you not intend to contain them as we continue into this war?” She was angry, her eyes held that same fire Pastor had once had back when he would go head to head with Chancellor Talonspyre.

”I have effectively contained them for the moment, currently Foundation forces have pushed them back into their territory and are currently relieving those villages closest to the border of their land and their possessions, such is the tax for trespassing on Foundation territory with the motive to make war.” Pastor said unemotional.

“What of the guerilla fighters destroying entire regiments closer to home here in Stromgarde, the lack of intelligence information on the current troop compliments of the Renegades, or how about the Intelligence Directorate’s inability to protect our own troops and temples here in Stromgarde? Does that not matter during this war, that civilians are kept from harm?” She said, her fists clenching and releasing.

“A wise man once told me that when the Foundation goes to war, it fights, not just as a military on the battlefield but like a sea vessel charged with one purpose. I am but the captain at the helm of this beast, every person, horse, and acre of land is stamped with my sovereign name upon it to remind all of you that I am the one who steers our course through the oceans of time. Every burden of war is shared by my crew, by the people of the Foundation, not just by a few. Together my dear, we will weather this storm and return to the placidity of the ocean we know.” Pastor did not smile, he just knew he needed to see Aeryn again, but this time about other things.
F O U N D A T I O N
Pastor
Stablehand

Postby Arana » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:06 am

The head came off quick as a wink, it scooted accross the field rolling and bouncing down the slight decline. The body jerked a bit then fell limply to the ground. He was only one of hundreds of heathens to meet their demise this evening. Reports had come in from the front that the warriors of RoD were marching on his lands. Instead of attacking them he had decided to wait in ambush, what a glorious fight it had been. The heathens never saw it coming, once, twice, thrice they charged through ambushes and yet they kept on coming. The losses that were incurred today littered the fields; it was a glorious day for Foret.

Holly bloody hell! Bring that fight to me lands boys! Aye, we be ready for you! Helga, she be bloody and itching for more heads to sever! He kissed his axe with the affection a man might show his spouse. Aye, she be a beauty indeed! Come now men, the time has arrived. They have come to our lands, now we be moving to their lands. Let us see if they be as prepared for us as we be prepared for them!

He started gathering his forces. An army of axe wielding highlanders, all big and strong, they began their trot, a steady thunder echoed through the hills as thousands of them moved forward toward the heathen lands.

It was then, as the army moved off that Arana spotted a small brown object moving off to their left flank. It was coming out of the lands of Furor, it must be a small rodent of some sort, a rabbit probably.

Hmmmm, a rabbit? Aye that would make for a bloody good soup t'night. A tasty little treat before we be marching on our enemies! It is decided then, I be back general, keep me men moving, I fetch us a small dinner treat!

And so the veered off to the left to hunt the little brown rabbit!
Arana
Stablehand

Postby Greybeard » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:42 am

Forward for the Foundation!

The cry rang out among his men. From afar he sat on his horse, an arm perched over the pummel to support him. A weariness showed in his eyes. He knew what lay behind him, a land decimated by sorcery. At the least they would get their revenge now. Before him he watched the heathen lands swarm with his thieves as temples began to burn into the night. Soon the entire sky was lit, fire raged everywhere, they started in the temples but then caught on to adjacent buildings slowly spreading through the entire city. The night was soon lit up bright as noon.

Alright, send the dispatch back to Hellblazer, the temples have been decimated. He can now reign down his fires from hell!

Calling back his thieves they withdrew just in time, it started slowly at first, but the hurricanes increased in size and strength, almost as if they sensed the urgency at hand! Soon their view from the hill top was obscured as dust and rubble swarmed the sky like an angry nest of hornets. It wasn't until hours later that things finally settled. The lands lay only in a fine rubble and dust. Where once thousands of structures stood now there was nothing.

Satisfied with the awesome sight before him he turned his men away and began the march home. It was time to rebuild their lands. The favour dealt to them had been returned.
Greybeard
Stablehand

Teddy?

Postby Murdock Pryor » Fri Nov 14, 2003 8:57 pm

Murdock stood amongst the freshly burning temples amongst his lands as he quickly ordered the peasants and blacksmiths to get to work at rebuilding the almighty darden temples for their next strike. Murdock walked along and watched his newly attained Foresters to go to battle. They trained and faught amongst each other and after a few minutes were prepared with very little food not expecting to return back to their homes and families.

Suddenly a scout had returned his eyes wide and approached quickly and slipped in the mud falling flat on his back. Squirming he stood up and looked at Murdock.

Sir.....A teddy bear. He.....stabbed someone in the......groin sir. It was awful. Then suddenly they all blew up when he threw a small metal object in the middle of them. I don't beleive my eyes, I must have drank to much or something sir. My eyes must have been deceiving me.

Murdock smiled, and laughed.

Ah, I see Zanafien is still searching for Teddy Ruxben. And he has found himself to the realms of the Foundation. Teddy may be in trouble when he gets home.

Stopping and looking at the man thinking the man might have been drinking to much as he spoke.

Stabbed him in the groin? Teddy stabby someone in the groin? That doesn't sound like something he would do. But yet again he might. Are you sure you have not drank to much tonight?

The man looked around nervously and fell to one knee pleading.

Lord I am sorry how did you know that I had been at the tavern?

You aren't to smart are you? Whatever, if you have seen Teddy, then you shall go to Zanafien and give him word of Teddy running rampant amongst the Foundation lands and tell him what he did to that man.

Murdock shook his head in disbeleif as the man ran off stumbling around in the mud trying to keep his balance as Murdock smirked and pointed his Staff of Elements to the ground and made the land beneath his feet shake a bit as he fell face first in the mud Murdock laughed and turned back to the Temples watching them burn.

We shall rebuild. Return the favour to the Foret heathens in burning, killing, and looting of their lands. We will not go down without honor.
Acolyte of Pain
Sanctum Officum/Black Dogs
The Golden Hordes Dragon Knight Beserker
Murdock Pryor
Peasant

Postby FieldCaptain_Galran » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:05 pm

Fires burned in the night. Ranging from small fires burning what little grass and the arrow it landed with to large pyres eating up the remains of wooden catapults and small barricades. Shadowed figures both the size of men and waist high creatures scurried past these fires in groups. Over mounds and down into entrenchments, these figures would appear and disappear like armed ghosts into the pitch black darkness created by heavy fogs and a moonless. The darkness was not silent however.

Cries of battle echoed all over in a distorting manner as weapons clashed from the left and then the right. Sounds of struggles and feet scrambling for purchase on the rocky soil drifted from all over as unseen groups advanced or fell back. Overhead in the unseen blackness, arrows whistled and shrieked, sometimes hitting someone who cried out as they fell, other times hitting nothing. Burning balls of flame crackled overhead resulting in explosions here and there as the few remaining mages blindly flung their spells into the blind folded chaos.

In the distance, the sound of the few remaining catapults thumped as they launched their boulders blindly into the sparse forest that the crew remembered lay before them when they had set up earlier that day. Galran crouched with his daughter and two dozen kobolds in a shallow trench as the boulders howled overhead. He heard one thump undeterminably close by in front of him and the dirt showering from the impact.

"I don't like it here." Jessica growled hugging her knees, her sword learning against her arm and a shield slung over her shoulder.

"Me neither. Bloody heathens." Galran muttered and chanced a small look over the edge of the trench. He saw nothing as expected and motioned to a nearby kobold holding an unlit torch. He kobold lit it and then flung it over the lip of the trench as his comrades clamoured half way up the side resting small crossbows and notched short bows along the edge. The light sailed into the darkness before being swallowed up. They saw a faint glow bounce briefly before illuminating a vague shape.

"Fire!"

Arrows and bolts whistled through the air as the kobolds launched the projectiles. There was a grim sense of reward as cries and bodies hit the ground in the darkness before them. Galran gathered up the battered large shield resting against the egde of the trench and held it up.

"OVER!"

Feet scrambled againt the gravelly ground as the kobolds and their captain crested the top of the trench. Arrows whistled past causing steps to falter and heads to turn to look behind. Some that had shields felt their arms shake as the arrows pierced through the wood while those that didn't fell down and were swallowed up by the night as the company pressed on.

The company was at a dead run now and a growing rumble of a battle cry rose in front of them. Several torches flew forward from the kobolds lighting up figures waiting behind a low earthen barricade. Fire glinted off spears bristling like porcupines behind a few spears stuck outwards. Arrows flew as fast as the archers could fire them as the kobolds and their human officers rushed the earthworks. The initial few that reached the defenders had mixed success in warding off the spearheads and stabbing groins and hacking legs with small cutlasses and short swords.

The battle broiled over fiercely for a minute before the defenders gave way with the rear most retreating into the night leaving those engaged to fall. As quickly as they could, the kobolds slew those on the ground and dropped down into the trench behind the barricade regrouping. A quarter of their number was missing while half that number nursed small wounds. A couple died where they sat clutching gut wounds.

Behind the lot, the sounds of more feet scrambled over the barricade and several small groups of kobolds brought by the sound of battle joined the company. Galran looked up at the reinforcements and then around at the fallen bodies as he discarded the old shield riddled with arrows in favor of a newer one.

"How far have we come?" He asked his daughter who peered over the rim of the trench.

"I don't know. I'm not sure if we're fighting forwards or backwards." She said in a hoarse whisper.

"Hrm... Heads up." Galran said pulling his helm down over his eyes and hunkered down his shoulders as more boulders howled overhead. Ahead and behind the company, several boulders slammed into the ground, one close enough to shower the kobolds in dirt as it rolled into the trench slamming into the far wall.

"We're reaching the end range of the catapults. Do we go on?" Jessica asked.

"Move down that way." Galran pointed off to her right. The kobolds and their hunkered down officers moved as quickly as they could down the trench. Their way was impeded several times by small groups of soldiers heading in their direction. These were cut down with minimal casualities as the mob of kobolds scampered through the deepening trenches.

A fork appeared and the kobolds split instinctly going down both ways without a word. Galran pat his daughter on the shoulder as she hurried off to follow the group heading right as he followed his down the left. He heard the sudden sound of combat rise over the large hill seperating the trench ways and muttered a soft prayer for his daughter. Ahead, his kobolds met up with another large group and they were lining themselves up at a small rough dug stairway leading deeper into heathen territory. Hefting his shield, Galran pushed his way to the front where the rest of the shield bearing kobolds waited expectantly and climbed a few steps peering over. Again he motioned towards a kobold with a torch.

The light sailed into the night, and bounced. Galran squinted trying to pierce the darkness then lifted his voice.

"OVER!"

The whistling of of hidden arrows greeted him and his company as they rushed up the stairs and disappeared into the night.
Field Captain of the Re-Employed Koboldic Aerial Legions
LoF Motto: 'Spleling! itso ur froteh! REELYL!"
FieldCaptain_Galran
Stablehand

Postby Succuba » Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:44 pm

Succuba eyed the desperate man with a hungry gleam as she circled him, the fear in his eyes only served to feed her hunger. The last heathen she had devoured had been a little scrawny and had only whetted her appetite for more. This one had given her a bit of a challenge, he had been fun to chase down.

She and Seraphim had caught a group of them who had been setting fires all over Mistress Harmony's lands. The majority of the land was burning or smoldering now. She and her mate had been patrolling and looking for the ones responsible for the fires when they had come across this small group just as they were leaving the borders. Seraphim had chased several of them one way while she had followed the four remaining ones.

The first one she caught up with had been too easy. He never even put up a fight, instead he had just whimpered and begged. It had given her great satisfaction to silence his pathetic snivelling. The second one had shown more spirit, running and dodging for almost a mile through the forest. He had drawn his blade when he realised he was cornered and stood facing her now. His friends had never even looked back.

Succuba circled her prey slowly and cautiously, looking for an opening, edging a little closer each time his eyes darted away from her. If he backed up far enough he would trip on the log they had just jumped over. Her blood red eyes watched him intently, waiting for him to let his guard down.

She could see the sweat pouring from his brow and running down his face, the ash and soot that covered him washing away in streaks. His green eyes darted here and there, looking for a way to escape, and he gripped the handle of the blade so tightly that his knuckles were turning white. His adam's apple bobbed in his throat as he tried to swallow a scream. His fear was palpable as she stalked him.

Seeing the blood of his companion dripping from Succuba's fangs was the man's undoing as he tried recklessly to make a last desperate attempt to get away. He turned quickly to run and fell over the log. Instinct caused him to throw his hands up in front of him to ease his fall and he lost his grip on the dagger. Succuba was ready and was on him in an instant. The last thing the man saw before his life ended was Succuba's mouth wide open and heading for his throat.

When she was finished devouring her second victim Succuba turned her attention to searching for the other two. The last one she would keep alive and take to Mistress Harmony so he could be interrogated. She didn't quite understand what Teddy Ruxben was, but she knew that Mistress Harmony was looking for him. Maybe one of these men knew something of his whereabouts.
Succuba
Stablehand

Postby Dark_link » Fri Nov 14, 2003 11:45 pm

"With all do respect my lord, this is insanity." Link nodded to his Captain, still looking down at some Foundation kingdom plans. Trican sighed and said, "And you know this don't you my lord? So, my presence here is no longer needed is it my lord?" Again Link nodded, this time looking up at the Captain.

Link sighed and said, "Trican, the definition of insanity, is doing the same thing again and again, and expect different results. SO my friend, we have tried something new. I understand your worries, but you must put faith in me, as well as the rest of the Renegades. We will walk away from this war alive, and the victors. Foundation is scum heavy so i wish you to pull in the Guerilla forces. We will need to be especially careful around them. If worst comes to worst. Resort to plan B.

Trican sighed, Plan B? We havn't done that insanity since the days when we were all Royal Knights. But then again... it worked. Perhaps it is time I put more faith in my lord. Trican nodded and said, "Yes my Lord, at your will we trust." And with that, Trican was off to the training fields, and the masons office.
I...S...A
Dark_link
Peasant

Postby Ricardo » Sat Nov 15, 2003 9:52 am

This war was madness, he knew it, but Ricardo was a novice with RoD and needed to prove his worth to those whom led. he saddled up his horse and led his troops onto the field of battle. Twas only yesterday that Ricardos sorcerers had proved their inadequacies, he knew he shouldnt have beleived them to be any godd after he caught the head magi reading Complete Idiots Guide to Magix. He would sort that oversight out when he returned from leading the charge.

Forward strode his troops, elves to the left of him, elves to the right of him...and up ahead was a bloody teddy bear running around like his arse was on fire.......these RoD folks were a strange lot warring over some bear called Teddy Ruxben.

Ricardo nodded his men forward as ahead lay the lands of the Foundation, prime for the taking. CHhhhhhhhargeeeeeeee Ricardo yelled.........and that was it his troops surged forward , swords drawn and yellnig blood curdling obscenities about the Foundations mothers.....
Merry Union of Mercenaries
If theres something strange in yer neighbourhood, Who ya gonna call?
http://www.ltd-nz.com/mum/index.php
Ricardo
Journeyman

Postby Aeryn Krynn » Sat Nov 15, 2003 7:41 pm

“The situation report has been filed as I promised ma’am.” Aeryn said with little care for rank or title. “You will see it is all there, just as you wanted.”

The older woman with the veil over her face chuckled a bit as she swept over the documents, skimming them for the entertaining parts, “Very good Operative Krynn, you have completed your objectives magnificently. Are there any other questions before we re-assign you?”

“Just one,” Aeryn said moving closer to the old woman. “Why did you not tell me that my cover was blown, why was I led to believe Chancellor Evencourt knew nothing of my true motives for being with him?”

The old woman sat back in her comfortable looking chair, “You see my dear girl, not everyone in the world trust those of the Intelligence Directorate, including your friend there, Chancellor Evencourt. He believes our trade to be ineffectual and outdated; his view is that of the politician, the one that seeks an end to all problems through compromise, not espionage and sabotage. No matter how he may feel for you Aeryn, he naturally distrusts the Directorate, ergo he distrusts you.”

Aeryn seemed unaffected by the answer, “So you understand then what I am about to do?”

“I understand that resigning to be with a man you hardly even know is foolhardy and reeks of adolescence. That is why I will not accept your resignation from the Directorate, instead I will reject it and give you one simple piece of advice.” The old woman said leaning forward but not far enough for Aeryn to see her face.

“And what is that?” Aeryn said.

“Learn more about him, see what he is really like, then … and only then make your decision about your resignation. The Directorate has been your family for nearly twenty years Aeryn, Pastor Evencourt you have only known for a fraction of that. If at the end of your adventure you believe the only way to this man’s heart is through your resignation from the Directorate, I will accept your resignation kindly.”

Aeryn paused a moment, “You know of our plans to leave for Tiavain then?”

The old woman nodded, “Of course I do, it is my job to know.”

“You won’t stop us?”

The old woman tilted her veiled head to one side, “It is not my place to stop you, the Chancellor will not heed my suggestions against it, and therefore I am incapable of stopping that which does not wish to be stopped. Besides, he is in good hands.”

“Does he know that you have found out his plans?” Aeryn said nodding.

“No, but it matters little who knows, just as long as our enemy does not figure this out. We could be in dire straights soon enough if the Chancellor of the Foundation ends up in enemy hands being auctioned off as a slave.” Said the old woman.

“I will not allow that to happen.” Aeryn retorted.

“I know you won’t dear, now please, get going or you will be late for your knight in shining armor.”
[center]Aeryn Krynn
Fear accompanies the possibility of death. Calm shepherds
its certainty, fight your fears and become immortal.

Foundation Agent[/center]
Aeryn Krynn
Stablehand

Postby Teddy Ruxben™ » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:22 pm

Whew, got away from him.

What was it he was saying? Something about Arana?

Oh-oh, don’t look now, but it seems there is another war party over there, and one is heading toward us.

Why won’t they just leave me alone?! I just want to get your home back and go back to Zan. I don’t like it out here anymore.

The stuffed animal sat down, almost like he was waiting for the person to come kill him.

No, no, no. We can’t stop now, we are so very close. Look, we get this one to leave us alone, and we can get my home back. Once done, we can go home.

I should have just told Zan about it in the first place, and he could have spent all this time looking for it, instead of having to go through all this trouble just to get your home back, and even having to go to war.

Teddy, I’m sorry. Look, let me take you over for a bit, and you rest.

You can do that?!

Well, yes. I don’t like doing it, but I can.

You do it then. I can’t take much more of this.

Then you may not have what it takes to become an operative for Zan, you know.

If I was an agent for Zan, I wouldn’t be out here running from every one.

No, you would be out here running, just not from every person you saw. The best agents know when to run.

I just need a rest. I haven’t had any since all this started.

Okay, you take a breather, and I’ll deal with this one.

The voice took over from Teddy, not that anyone would have noticed, except for a malicious glint in the bears jewelled eyes. He had become annoyed, and now he wanted his home back. Teddy Ruxbenâ„¢ was a kind-hearted type, looking to keep harm down to its bare minimum. Xavier, as the voice was known, was no where near as conscientious in his dealings, and did what it took to get what he wanted, and that was to find the wizard with his home and take back what was rightfully his.

The bear held his paws up and began concentrating in front of him. Last time, they had created an illusion of a grizzly, but this time, they would actually summon a dire bear to entertain this newest person. His gaze currently transfixed upon the approaching Foret, he had no idea of who he was or what he was about, all he did know was this man was about to get a very nasty surprise, and hopefully one that would allow them to make good their escape.

“Come brother bear, we have a friend for you to play with.” Xavier quietly stated through the mouth of the stuffed toy.

“EXIST!” The tiny teddy bear shouted toward the oncoming soldier and a bright light flashed in front of him. As it dissipated, a huge roar echoed across the way. Standing a massive ten feet tall and almost half that wide, its angered gaze fell across the figure of Lord Arana.

Another roar, and it started forward, intent on ripping this one to bloody shreds.
[center]Elite Intelligence and Assassination Operative
Sanctum Officio
Have you had YOUR Teddy Ruxben™ cuddles today?[/center]
Teddy Ruxben™
Stablehand

Postby Zanafien » Sat Nov 15, 2003 10:54 pm

“Are you absolutely certain of this?”

“Yes, Lord Zanafien. I can assure you it was Teddy Ruxben™.”

“Thank you scout. Please return to Lord Murdock and thank him for me.”

The man bowed and left, seeking to do the bidding of the councillor of the Renegades and glad to be gone. It would seem the mage was in something of a foul humour, having been roasting a Foret scout for information when he had entered.

Zanafien glanced over at the now unconscious Foret intelligence agent.

“Send him to the Dungeon of Despair. I’m sure Mistress Harmony will be able to get more information out of him.”

Gwidon entered the room and waited patiently until Zanafien acknowledged him.

“Lord, two of our best drow were killed in a fight with Lord Furor. They kept him from obtaining Teddy Ruxben™ at the cost of their lives. Another had stayed in the shadows to make sure the bear made a clean escape and report back.”

“Yes, Lord Furor is well-trained, and make sure we take good care of the families of those two drow. Do what is necessary to have their bodies returned and have them buried in the royal crypts.”

Gwidon bowed. One thing about Lord Zanafien, he treated his people well, even in death.

“Who were they?”

“V’rathal and Ismer.”

The lich sighed. “I trained those two personally in their first year at the academy. Their reflexes were absolutely amazing, even for such a young age. Perhaps I should take more of a hand in the training in the later years? Add more magic to their schedule? Tell me Gwidon, what do you think would give them more of an edge?”

“Lord, in comparison with other kingdoms I have seen, your troops have more training and better. I do not know what else could give us more of an advantage.”

He nodded. “Send another thousand out. According to your report, Furor believed Teddy Ruxben™ to be headed into Lord Arana’s lands. Arana is a honourable man, but even he might make the mistake of coming head to head against our little bear. I was not aware I had given my stuffed animal such a vehement streak. It will be necessary to have a stern talk with him upon his return. Unbelievable he actually stabbed someone in the groin. How would he have known to go for such a vulnerable target? Obviously, there is more going on than meets the eye. Perhaps the relic has something to do with it?”

“It could very well be milord. I will make sure the troops are sent out. How do I sorcerors fare after the attack?”

“Lord Furors mages overtook us. Due to my intelligence agents being out searching for Teddy Ruxben™, as you know, we have had not quite as strict security as normal. Thieves were able to sneak in and burn most of my power points, and I was unable to rebuild them before they unleashed on us. Now, we are attempting to rebuild, but for the most part, I shall only be looking at getting back that bear. I have no concern with their lands, so continue the search. Once we have the return of Teddy Ruxben™, we can then begin peace negotiations.”

Gwidon bowed, unsure how long this search would go on, and how long the forces of Darden could hold out against the might of the Foundation but aware Zanafien would not bow out of this until he had Teddy Ruxbenâ„¢ in safe keeping.
Chaotic Undead Mage
Zanafien
Stablehand

Postby Valarn » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:15 am

They returned many days later, with tales of success and victory. The Lord who commanded the men had swept into vast swarths of undefended land, and the peasants living there had their lives destroyed as they were driven out, or killed, in order that it could be claimed for the glory of Darden. How many had died, just to extend a line on a map? How many men like he had been forged in the fires sweeping those lands, men who lost their family - and now swear vengeance?

Though battles had been won, the war was about to be lost.

He had been sent on patrol in the newly acquired lands as one of the few replacements needed for fallen riders. The land they covered was rolling grassland for the most part, with groves of trees and hills scattered through out it. It was a beautiful country and in happier times be home to many, many people. Now however it was deserted, save for the gutted remains of the villages that had existed just days ago. He didn't look at them, and while near them he didn't look at those he rode with.

Suddenly the leader of the patrol halted them with an raised hand, and pointed off into the distance. From behind a hill a hazy dust could be seen, and while they watched tiny figures on horseback appeared on the hill top.

"Our enemy it seems, it wont be us.. fallback onto the hill behind us so we can watch them."

This was the patrol leader of the group, a veteran who knew his business. They had probably been spotted, and the best they could hope for was to observe the forces before withdrawing with the news. They were fortunate no airriders were present, otherwise they would easily be outflanked - as it was they would have to be cautious. Making their way up the hill quickly, they estimated the oncoming mass of troops.

"Thousands of them.. at least five thousand foot.. and that second group over there contains another thousand.. two maybe, it will be from a second Foundation Lord."

This from one of the riders near the forefront of the force, at his words the patrol leader nodded.

"Yes.. I think we have seen or we can from here, so this is what we will do..."

The forces available in this new land would only just hold against the thousands in sight. If there were any further Foundation forces, a likely occurence, the defence would become untenable. Accordingly, the patrol of thirty riders would split into smaller groups. One would warn the main army, one watch the current forces in sight, and the others split up to search for more invaders, or the other patrols out. The only hope to hold the taken lands was to spot all incoming enemy groups, and remain in contact with the main army to coordinate an effective defence.

It was possible they could hold forever, but an honest man would admit it was unlikely. Eventually, they would break. The defence would then rest on the keeps and the traditional lands Valarn had left just days ago.

Battle is coming, Sera.. soon.. very soon..
[center]To live without hope, forever.
Renegade of Despair
[/center]
Valarn
Stablehand

Postby Ammon » Sun Nov 16, 2003 12:23 pm

::On the outskirts of Foundations Southern wilderness on a developmental survey expedition::

Ammon was saddened by the news he had just recieved. His allies of the Foundation were under attack. His own realm assaulted by Dardens sorcerors.

"ASSEMBLE THE TROOPS!!"

Within 5 minutes, the five thousand assorted troops at the camp were assembled. Men we are needed in the north. Foret calls us today. We have a 3 day march ahead. Nubash Battallions 2 and 4, the Opulents, and 1/3 of our shakes. You will make that march in 2 days time. Foret will be your strength to travel swift.

The rest of you men. Follow me, we have 12 hours time in order to save our families and friends from destruction. Battle awaits us, we will not keep it waiting.

The race begins, Ammon says a silent prayer, Please give us strength for this journey.
TRC
ICQ#42606802]
Ammon
Peasant

Postby Arana » Mon Nov 17, 2003 7:43 pm

Rabbit stew? Or perhaps I'd be rathering some roast rabbit? Fried rabbit be particularly good but rabbit soup mighten be even better!. Hmmm, we'll be seeing depending on the girth of this here critter! Come on Helga! prepare yourself for battle!

He chuckled as he drew the giant battle axe, his stride increased in length as he approached the little brown ball of fir. It appeared to be petrified with fright now! With a great heave he lifted his battle axe into the air, preparing to bring it down and finish the critters without any suffering. But alas, it would not go as planned, the little ball exploded into action tearing off from Arana now....

Bloody hell that ain't no wee rabbit? That be a wee teddy bear! That be Teddy Ruxbenâ„¢! Furor you old goat! Ye couldn'a finish off this wee thing! HAHA! I'll have yer furry little arse you little munch kin! It be ye own fault we be warring with these heathens now! It be all peaceful in d'es here lands till ye showed your face! Well now I'll be showing Furor who be the mightier of de warriors!

He followed that teddy everywhere it went, up the hills, down through the valleys, into ditches and through the mud. The 6'8, 280 pound frame of the highland warrior crashed after that little spawn of Zanafien like it was a prime leg of mutton, there was no escape!

Come now wee little munch kin, I no be wanting to hurt you, we shall be friends, Arana and Ruxben, it will be as known as Arthur and Merlin, a famous duo to go down to the books of history! What say yee little fella?

It was too his surprise that the bear stopped, he grinned not with the smile of a friendly man but a wicked little grin of a man about to strangle the stuff'n out of a cuddly little creature!

Aye little fella, that's the way, no come a wee bit closer and let me have a look at me new pal!

What followed next was too fast for the big warrior to react to, the sweet innocent little teddy leaped at him straight through his towering legs and as the giant turned to sweep out a hand and snag the little critter he found himself grabbing something else, something very VERY much larger than a teddy!

BLODDY HELL!
Arana
Stablehand

Postby Owl da Renegade » Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:35 pm

Owl waited in the cluster of shrubbery, the smell of the flora was pungent in his sharp sensory nose. He was lying in wait bidding his time to make his move. The soft winds carried the smells of The Foundation cities below as their lights twinkled up to the night, stretching off to the horizon line. He was about to make the move he had waited almost the entire night to make. It was time.

He slowly left the shelter of the shrubbery and tiptoed what seemed a half mile, but was just a mere 50 yards up the deserted little hill that was crowned by a lone crab apple tree which was emphasised by the moon that was alight directly behind it. Reaching the tree he crouched low to the ground, sweat and the odour of excitement that pounded through his heart haunted him the whole time.

Finally after a long period of scanning the area, he was certain he wasn't being watched. He crept down the other side of the hill in a crawling like manner on his belly to another cluster of shrubberies on the other side of the shrubberies he just came from. The move from shrubbery to shrubbery cluster only took him half the night, he was by far ahead of schedule, with this daring move that he just under took.

Unknown to Owl, Teddy Ruxben was perched on the crab apple tree with one hand on his brow shaking his head profusely at Owl's shenanigans...
Have you ever heard the songs of the trees? "NO?" You haven't been listening have you...

~Divine Song~ in the Breeze
Owl da Renegade
Stablehand

Next

Return to Maxim Archive