The Hole in the World (Maxim/Sailing/Open)

- Archive Forum for Old Games.
(Calam, Speed, Christmas, Debacle, etc.)

The Hole in the World (Maxim/Sailing/Open)

Postby Thepheonix » Fri Oct 14, 2005 1:07 pm

Toph stood at the brink, and stared down.

The crack was massive, at least fifty meters across, and dividing this hill completely in two. The more disconcerting problems were twofold. One, it appeared to be bottomless, Two... It had definiely not been here a month ago, for Toph had traveled this way on his journey to visit Nagash.

Others were also at the brink of the crevasse, staring down into the darkness as if expecting something. Toph could hear people talking...

"It goes on forever"

"My brother said he saw things in the depths"

"What does this all mean?"

Toph sighed. That last question was by far the most common sentiment he heard. The entire island was wondering about what would be happening in the coming days, and... fortunately or unfortunately, not many knew the truth, that the island was doomed. For a moment, Toph considered telling the crowd about the fate of Tonan, but then reconsidered... there were too many... the ensuing panic would probably result in bloodshed, since the dominions were still at one another's throats even now.

And so Toph turned back to the pit and looked down once again. Toph realized that it was a good thing he was not afraid of heights, because this would be terrifying to anyone who was.

Toph picked up a rock, and murmered softly to it. The rock began to glow, and Toph dropped it into the crevasse, where it fell, its light growing dimmer and dimmer until it dissapeared, without ever having hit the bottom.

Toph turned at the sound of yelling. It appeared that a fight had developed somewhere in the crowd between two men, each accusing the other's god of causing this calamity... as Toph watched, the fight spread, as more people joined in on each side, while bystanders moved away as quickly as they could.

Toph sighed... the people of Tonan would go down fighting, one way or the other.
~OAFS' Resident Sidhe Mage~
The "EpiToph of Faith" ~Nagash
Thepheonix
Peasant

Postby Drimortantes » Tue Oct 18, 2005 5:43 am

"Sir, I think I can see it" The sprite bowed down to the face of her master and pointed right ahead. It wasn't hard to miss, not only did the gap stand out between the hilly grassland like a wolf in sheep flock, but there was truely a campsite build near it. Apparently they weren't the first who had decided that it was a site worth visiting. "Are you sure you want to continue, master? I've warned you before about the unpredictable nature of humans, they are not used to your kind here and might react hostile after all they've been through the past few weeks."

"I know Melinde, and though I thank you for your input, I don't think I have much of choice, do I? I don't have magicks at my command to change my appearance, besides, if a human would float down into that chasm, it would perhaps attract even more attention than when a winged creature like myself flies down into it, however foolish it may be." As if to mark the words, the earth beneath them rumbled for a moment, a few birds flew up from the nearby trees, already disturbed a dozen times before by the vibrations of the earth, but still not used to his new phenomena. The manticore was disappointed that they weren't close enough to see what happened inside the gap, he hoped the earthquakes wouldn't cause landslide or anything similar when they would try and enter it.

It took them another half an hour to reach the actual spot and he had decided to remain flying high for the time being, hoping not to draw too much attention, as most of the people would be staring downwards rather than upwards anyway. He felt that his sprite servant was excited as well, she held tightly to his manes. With a few last strokes of his wings, then they hoovered above the chasm. He tried to peek down into the darkness, but the distance seemed immeasurable. He asked Melinde if she could see anything special, but when she answered "Rocks sir, and dirt that is" he knew that if they were to get to know anything more, they would really have to go down.

"By the honour of Barnabas, these times are hard enough already, testing my luck by flying down in a gap that would take a god to create. But we must know what is going on and truely, I have the means, I mean wings to do so. Here goes Melinde."

The flight of a manticore is by no means an elegant act to watch and though Drimortantes Avantrièl was dubbed Guardian of the Skies, this was just because he was the only Court Agent that had the ability to fly at all. So, when the manticore started to descend, it was not comparable to a falcon plunging down to its prey with lightning speed, nor to an owl who swept downwards silently and caught his prey by surprise through stealth. A manticore was more like a vulture, a fat bird swooping down with lazy flapping of its wings, descending slowly but steadily into the chasm. He and his servant ignored whatever response came from the general public at the edges of the hole and down they went.

Though Drimortantes possessed the body of a catlike animal, his face was human and so were his eyes. When they descended deeper into the earth and Intop's light slowly faded to mere reflections on some of the crystal structures in the lower layers of the isle, he had trouble keeping 'visual contact' to his surroundings, up to the point that he stopped descending at all and reconsidered his options with his servant.

"Well then, Melinde, do your sprite eyes see more than mine do, because I'm feeling almost blind here and well, that's about as far as I want to go." His voice echoed around them for a moment, the walls of the chasm had constantly narrowed towards eachother, though really only the breadth of a thumb for every so many meters they had gone down, and added strange effects to his voice, even though his speech was little more than a whisper. Nevertheless, so far they hadn't seen much more than a lot of stones, some passing by from above them plunging along into the depth, dirt, more stones and, indeed more stones. The pebbles sometimes falling by or even hitting them were fortunately not the landslides he had feared to encounter, but all in all there wasn't much of interest to observe. Melinde agreed to these observations. "Well blind, blind, pardon me sir, but my eyes still see. However, there isn't much of use to see, don't you think." He felt that she bowed down and looked down over his shoulder. "No, I don't think there's much of use to do for us here. Except that we can confirm that the chasm is deep, really deep and that no living things go here, except for some burrowing creatures I really don't want to know about."

She looked up to the sky, which was now like an umbrella of light above them, standing out from the dark sides of rock and dirt beside them. 'Only one more thing to test' she thought. "Hello, anybody there?" She yelled the words down into the depths. She felt that Dree did not agree with her, but she would not stop and he let her speak. She tried a few languages she knew, but all the response she got was a dozen echoes, and the languages intermingling and forming strange words as they returned to her. She liked the effect, but restrained herself from doing anything more due to the serious nature of the situation.

"I'm not sure that was quite necessary, but now that we know no one's down here, not even the gods themselves, shall we go up again?" Without waiting for a reply to his sarcastic question, he started to ascend. It would take some time to return to the surface and then they would have to report surely, but at least they had survived... for now.
Drimortantes Avantrièl
Guardian of the Skies
"If wishes were wings, lions would fly"
Melinde, trusted sprite-servant to the manticore
Drimortantes
Stablehand

Postby SIlverwolfe_ » Tue Oct 25, 2005 6:12 pm

Silverwolfe had left the Library soon after Toph, and immediately flew to his realm. Once there, he quickly collected his most prized weapons, millenia old blades, still as beautiful and as deadly as the day they were made. Calling Khelestra, Silverwolfe hastily explained the situation to her.

After he was done speaking, Khelestra sadly shook her head. "Most of your serfs are infested with the plague. The palace is the only place that hasn't been infected, and even that won't last long."

Closing his eyes, Silverwolfe smiled sadly. "If the plague has them, then they can not be saved. What we can do is end their suffering, and help to guarantee the survival of many more people."

Raising an eyebrow, Khelestra looked incredulous. "And how do you plan to save the people of the isle."

Shaking his head, Silverwolfe looked westward, dreading what he was about to do. "It is impossible to save all the people of the isle. Thousands will die in the attempt to escape. However, if we had powerful magic on our side and fled in ships, we have a good chance to save any people who happen to be travelling with us."

Confused and annoyed, Khelestra frowned. "If both of our magical abilities are not enough where do you plan to get this powerful mag....." Noticing Silverwolfe's gaze, Khelestra's eyes widened as she realized what he planned on doing. "The Entombed Ones!"

Nodding gravely, Silverwolfe took flight, Khelestra immediately following suit.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a few minutes they arrived at the Forbidden Valley, and Silverwolfe stood at the entrance of one of the prison tombs.

"The tombs of the Icarii. Our dark heritage. My father's people, and one of very few races who were able to match the magical ability of the Sidhe. We have a lack of Sidhe to help us in the crossing, so we will have to depend on the magic of the Icarii."

Silverwolfe and Khelestra moved quickly through nine of the tombs, working together to release the icarii of the spell of sleep the Sidhe had placed on them over a thousand years before. He didn't bother explaining anything to them at the moment, for they were still loyal only to his father, Sor'jus Talhana.

Stopping infront of his fathers tomb, Silverwolfe steeled himself for what he must do. Entering the tomb, Silverwolfe walked several hundred paces before entering the huge atrium in which Sor'jus Talhana, The King of the Icarii, Silverwolfe's father slept.

Approaching the sarchophagus, Silverwolfe cringed as he felt the familiar, sinister presence. He had considered releasing his father from his long sleep, but he was far too powerful. He was far too chaotic, and extremely insane. During the war he was able to tear apart some of the most powerful Sidhe mages with his astounding control of the Battle Magic. Sor'jus fed on death, and thrived on absolute carnage.

If Silverwolfe freed him, Sor'jus would attempt to destroy the people of the isle, and revel in the destruction even as the isle consumed him. No, He would not be freed, but would serve a higher purpose.

Placing a kiss on Sor'jus' forhead, Silverwolfe wept over what he was about to do. "Forgive me, my father. This must be done."

Drawing his Sidhe blade, Silverwolfe was grimfaced as he ran the Sword through his fathers heart. "One life, to save the many."

Exiting the tomb, Silverwolfe faced the small congregation of Icarii that surrounded the entrance. "I am the Juriel Dlorian! Son of your king, Sor'jus Talhana. His blood still drips from my sword. You serve me now. You will find that I am nothing like the bastard that now lies dead in the tomb crafted so long ago by the Sidhe."

Cleaning his blade on the grass at his feet, Silverwolfe turned his attention back to the icarii. "I am king now, and I have awakened to tell you that the people of the isle are in great peril. The isle is slowly tearing itself apart, and a plague ravages the land. People are fleeing the Isle by many means, and I believe the most popular at the moment is by ship. We are to help in this endeavor."

Gesturing to Khelestra, Silverwolfe grinned. "You are to respect this woman. She outranks you all, and answers only to me. You are also to show respect to every person you meet, whether they be human, elven or sidhe. You shall not instigate hostilities with anyone, but you are allowed to defend yourselves if attacked."

Pointing to the east, Silverwolfe shook his head. "My people are suffering from the plague, and will suffer greatly unless we do something."

Thinking a short while, Silverwolfe can only think of one way to help his people. Sadly, Silverwolfe slowly rose into the air and faced his capitol. "Come up here and lend your magic to mine. We have to end their suffering. We have to spare them from the lingering deaths that the plague causes.

The other Icarii rose then, A strange green beam of light emanated from each of their hands, entering Silverwolfe's body. Stretching out one arm, a large ball of energy materialized above his city. Lowering his arm, so did the ball sink into the heart of his city. Hanging his head, Silverwolfe abruptly closed his fist.

The resulting explosion disentigrated everything within a mile of the city in one horrifying instant.

Tears streamed down Silverwolfe's face as the smoke cleared. Nothing was left of the once glorious city or it's people. Abruptly turning around, Silverwolfe faced his fellow icarii. "Its done. Now we go in search of one of my old friends. He is the only person I know who is still alive that made the trip here from Mo'pri. We fly to the south. I can sense him."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After a few hours of quick flight, they arrived at the crevasse in the earth. Circling about like vultures for a short while, the Icarii decended as soon as Silverwolfe spotted Toph. Landing behind Toph, Silverwolfe grinned as Toph turned to face him.

"Hello, my old friend. I must apologize for not speaking with you earlier at the library. I was trying to find a solution to our little problem. Like many others I have decided on escape. By ship. What you said at the library earlier intrigued me."

"Ah, I am forgetting my manners, allow me to introduce my companions. You may remember the nine Icarii men and women behind me as the generals of the war that was fought so long ago. Last remnants of my fathers race I'm afraid to say. The Icarii woman standing to my right you have met before. Meet Khelestra."

Silverwolfe had to stifle his laughter at the expression on Toph's face. Well, It was to be expected. The last time they met, Khelestra had been in possession of Silverwolfe's body, and had run him through.

"Don't worry my friend. Khelestra and I have had quite a change of heart in our attitude towards each other. Now there is no one I trust more. As for the nine behind me, they follow my orders now that I am their king. Kind of had to stick my sword through my old man's chest."

Grinning now, Silverwolfe clapped Toph's shoulder. "Anyway, When you spoke before, you said you had been born in mo'pri. Ships had been used to reach the isle right? And there was a ward?"

Scratching his head, Silverwolfe began to think. "I have a theory. That was a VERY long time ago. I would believe that the wards that protect the isle are quite damaged after so long. And if time has not damaged them, Surely the trouble we are having with the isle itself has made them unstable. Which is the reason I freed these guys. If the wards do happen to be unstable, perhaps there are gaps. And if there are gaps, with sufficient magical ability we should be able to hold the gaps open long enough for ships to pass through."

Silverwolfe was no longer smiling. His expression had darkened, and his face as if set in stone. "Which is why I came to you. You are perhaps the last remaining pure blooded sidhe to walk the isle, and if that is so, the last survivor of Mo'pri. I need your opinion on my plan, and if you are willing to, We can also make use of your abilities if we go sailing. You must know as well as I that it is imperative that we get off of the island. As the last legacies of our great races, We must survive. "
Life isn't about making it to the grave safe, and in a well preserved body

Its about skidding in sideways, screaming "Holy Shit, What a ride!"
SIlverwolfe_
Stablehand

Location: Out of that pit of uncaring and beggining life anew

Postby Thepheonix » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:33 pm

Toph turned and smiled as Silverwolfe's presence became known to him. He was quite glad to see his old friend, but his blood ran cold as he saw who else landed with the icarii lord.

It was them. And her

Toph remembered what these nine had done. They had destroyed his race. It had been these nine who, aside from orchestrating the war effort, had stumbled upon the one spell that had spelled the doom of the Sidhe, that had sterilized most of his race... himself included.

The Sidhe had finally released their most potent magic then, tearing out the land from under the Icarii and causing the very air around them to turn to molten lead. The Icarii had felt the full fury of the Sidhe on that day... and what was the result?

Now there were eleven Icarii left, and only one Sidhe, millenia after the conflict had ended. Silverwolfe may believe that they followed him unquestioningly, but, Toph knew he would never forgive them, and never trust them.

However, Silverwolfe's question awaited:
Yes, we did use ships, and the ward was quite strong.

I have not been idle since we last met in the Library, Silverwolfe. I went to Azrael's tower, where, despite the fact that the arch-mage has left these lands, there are many books... books of magic, and books of history. Mo'Pri was even more incredible than I remembered, but, ultimately, it was just like Tonan. Just without you Icarii.

Toph mentally told himself to not let his feelings about Silverwolfe's company intrude into his speech, and continued

"I discovered a book, and in it, found a description of the ward that surrounds the island... apparently, Azrael spent a fair amount of time studying it once we got onto the island. He was interested in what caused the pulsing, and Toph smiled "He found a solution.

The ward, apparently, was set up by a race that lived on this island long before we Sidhe, or even the Icarii set foot on the island. The ward is actually produced by some sort of machine, buried somewhere on the island. Now, Azrael never found the location, and he definiely didnt find the machiene, but from the fragments of local legends, he was able to piece an important fact together... the energy source that this race used... pulsed. What this meant for the Ward machine is that the Ward it produced varied... pulsed... in strength. The magic of the Ward was powerful, more powerful that even our strongest mages could handle, but only at a peak in the strength. If we waited for a lull, I think that any powerful spellcaster, like all those present, could ensure the protection of their ship as it passed through. We would have to time it perfectly, though."

Toph smiled. The discovery of this weakness in the Ward had been a great boon.
Toph turned to some of the others gathered at the hole, who had turned to watch the two fairy-tale races of the past come to life and converse among them. Now all they needed was for a centaur to show up. Toph spoke:
"Surely you have heard the rumors, that the island of Tonan is doomed.

I will not deny these rumors. Omens indicate that this very well may be the case. But do not panic. We have discovered a way off of the island. Go and tell your lords that you and they should meet us at the western docks of the island. We will not wait long, and you must bring a competent spellcaster for each ship you plan to sail. I will teach them the spell they need to escape the Ward surrounding the island."

Toph turned back to the Icari
"Our people are gone. These people are not. We should save those we can."
Thepheonix
Peasant

Postby Thepheonix » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:34 pm

my my... my first double post ever. :)
Thepheonix
Peasant

Postby Drimortantes » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:25 am

They emerged from the hole without hesitation. He ignored in any reactions that their return might provoke and continued to ascend. When he was sure he was out of reach of anyone who might have hostile intentions towards them, the manticore stopped his ascend and hovered over the site, his servant and he looking down at the scene below.

The crowd looked as chaotic as when they had arrived some time ago and he had no clue wether it had changed or not. He had picked up a few words of the discussions they held amongst them and he was sure that if he spoke to them about what he had seen in the chasm, some would believe him, but many would ignore his statements and continue to preach their arguments. All in all, there was little that kept them here.

"I'm sure that the others will be interested to hear what we've seen here, though there's little that I can inform them about, except for all these fools who expect some miracle to sprout forth from this... hole." Melinde nodded thoughtfully but didn't speak.

They left the gargantuan gab for what it was and flew towards the south. When he thought they were well out of sight, he descended, while ordering Melinde to take the amulet. When they reached the treetops and disappeared from view, she made the necessary movements to activate the amulet. Red to gold, here they'd come.
Drimortantes Avantrièl
Guardian of the Skies
"If wishes were wings, lions would fly"
Melinde, trusted sprite-servant to the manticore
Drimortantes
Stablehand

Postby LLardorwyn » Thu Nov 03, 2005 4:45 pm

It was time to go.

Llardorwyn looked around the keep that had been his home-away-from-home for so many years. He had met Toph at the begining of the Sidhe's adult life, and, for some reason, the two had become fast friends, up until the point that Llardorwyn had declared Toph his "Chosen" or his favorite among the lesser races.

The elf looked out the window at what remained of Toph's lands. Not much was left. Toph's keep had been surrounded by woodlands and forests, with only a small town of elves nearby to provide company and service the castle.

The forests still smouldered, and Llardorwyn could see in the distance, more flames rising as the firestorms swept through the dried trees like kindling. Llardorwyn had seen the devastation everywhere, and knew that this was not a unique occurance. It had not rained in over two months, and the entire island was poised on the brink of destruction. Llardorwyn's magic had been the only thing to save the keep. Llardorwyn had dropped the shimmering barrier after the fires had swept past, but was glad that at least his spells still worked, unlike the clerics who lamented that their gods had deserted them.

The elves were dead, too. A plague had swept through the area, and killed most of them... Llardorwyn was sure the fire had gotten the rest. He had waited for as long as he could...

There was no point dwelling on the past. Llardorwyn had, down in the courtyard, a large bag filled with mementos for both himself and Toph. Mementos from the Hall of the Dragon King, as well as the vast majority of the things in Toph's study. Toph had organized those himself.

Another elf, with darker hair and a sharp gaze, came into the room and spoke to Llardorwyn
"Uncle, we should go"

"Yes, Nassir, I will be down in a moment."
The younger elf nodded and left. Llardorwyn gave one final look around the room, sighed, and followed Nassir to the courtyard.

Nassir had already changed into his dragon form when Llardorwyn arrived. The young dragon had entered his adolescence recently, and therefore had become old enough to learn how to work magic. Which was a good thing. It had been quite a while since the dragonet had been able to run the halls of the keep freely.
Llardorwyn gave the dragon a smile, and chuckled as Nassir smiled toothily back.

Llardorwyn moved to the middle of the courtyard and concentrated.

Seconds later, the gold dragon stretched his wings and cracked his tail. It felt GOOD being back in his true form. Llardorwyn remembered what other dragons had told him... that he might lose himself in his elven form. But Llardorwyn had not listened... being a dragon was FAR superior to any biped.
Llardorwyn grinned back at Nassir
"ready?"
The younger dragon nodded, and the two leaped into the air, each carrying a bag of items. They headed for the center of the island, where Llardorwyn knew Toph was waiting for them.
Firebreath, sing your song in me. Silverscale, protect me. Demon of chaos, bear me up on dragon's wings.
LLardorwyn
Stablehand

Postby SIlverwolfe_ » Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:56 pm

Silverwolfe noticed the anger and contempt in Toph's voice although he was doing a great job trying to hide it. After Toph had finished speaking, Silverwolfe smiled and placed his hand on Toph's shoulder.

"It is evident that you do not completely believe that I have complete control over my friends here. Allow me to explain. You see, long ago, after the icarii had mutated from their theft of the isle's inherent magic my great grandfather had placed a spell of sorts over the entire icarii race. With this spell, the icarii had no choice but to obey any order the ruling family had given them. The icarii aren't inherently evil, how they behave depends on the traits of their ruler. My great grandfather and my grandfather alike were good men who ruled peacefully, and tried to make right the damage the icarii caused when they stole the magic from the land."

Looking at the icarii, Silverwolfe saw that their heads were hung. They too remembered the Elder Talhana ruling class. And what had happened to them.

"My father was a psychotic murderer. My grandfather had him imprisoned, but about 1500 years ago he escaped and murdered my grandparents and all of his siblings, assuming rule of the icarii. It is from this period of rule that most remember the icarii. We were a terror apon the land, conquering, enslaving and murdering thousands of people. We were a power without comparison. Until we reached the sidhe lands anyway. It was there that I was born."

"My father had captured and raped a sidhe sorceress, Mina D'lorian. He kept her imprisoned untill I was born. Afterwards she escaped, and had told the sidhe council of the icarii threat. You know most of what happened next. The sidhe had amassed an army of several different races and slowly pushed the icarii back to their homeland. It was near our capitol city that the last battle took place. Where perhaps the fate of both of our races was decided. Thousands had died on both sides, but in the end it was the sidhe who were triumphant. The few icarii who survived were entombed by the most powerful of the sidhe mages."

Silverwolfe looked back to the north. The mountainous region where the icarii's home had once been. Where Silverwolfe himself had been entombed. Shaking his head, Silverwolfe turned his attention back to Toph.

"Three hundred years ago my mother came to my tomb and released me, and reconfigured my memory so I would not know what had happened in my past. It was there that she died. A trap that the sidhe had set had been released, and destroyed her body. Khelestra was that trap. She was an icarii soul that had been entombed with me so that if I was ever freed she would hunt me down and destroy me. As my mothers last act, she sent Khelestra to the underworld."

"When I had died some 75 years ago, I battled Khelestra in the underworld, and my soul was freed from that place to seek out my body. She followed in my wake and we had been seeking each other out for a good long time. Through our adventures over the years you and a few others came to know her. In her attempts to destroy me, she nearly killed the lot of you several times."

"In that final battle with Khelestra at my capitol city I unleashed all the icarii battle magic that I knew of at her. What I didn't know was that every time I used my icarii magic it put me more and more under my fathers influence. Although he was sleeping we shared something of a telepathic link, and the use of my magic just made it stronger. At the end of that battle when I had subdued Khelestra, my father had almost complete control of my actions. I knew what I was doing, I just couldn't stop it.

"I didn't want my father to make me hurt any of you so I used the last of my strength to have you and the others thrown out of the kingdom. Out of my reach. Once you were gone, I was fully under my fathers control, and turned my attention to Khelestra. Icarii bodies do not decay, so I went to the crypts and found hers. It was somewhat damaged from which ever ancient battle she died in, so I repaired it, and reattached her soul. I then proceeded to torture her for months on end. After a while, my fathers influence began to wane, and I once again had control of my actions."

Silverwolfe shook as tears streamed down his face. The memory was painful, and he doubted that he could go on. Turning to look at Khelestra he noticed that she cried also. Wiping away her tears, Silverwolfe smiled. "You finish the tale. I need to give them orders."

Silverwolfe walked some distance away, and the rest of the icarii followed. After watching him for a few seconds Khelestra began to speak.

"He removed me from the shackles that bound me. They were a vile creation of Sor'jus Talhana, Silverwolfe's father. They brought your greatest fears to life in your mind, and made it feel like molten lead was coursing through your veins. They also kept you conscious and alive. Even removed from the shackles, the pain stayed, the magic still burned through me."

"It was then that Silverwolfe cradled me in his arms, and sent his healing magic through me. Through his magic I felt something else. I felt love. It was a love for life, and all things living. Even a love for me, and great sorrow at what he had done, Even though I was his enemy. He took the dark magic from my body, took it into himself. He took not only the vile magic of the shackles, but also the icarii magic that made me follow the king without question, and the sidhe magic that left me with the irrestisable urge to destroy him. Healing me nearly killed him, and he fell unconscious. "

"I sat there for a long time, helpless and weak ass I cradled his head in my lap. I could tell he was desperately trying to expell the magic that was attempting to consume him. He finally woke up nearly two days later. I didn't have the strength to move him during that time, So I stayed there by his side down in the dungeon, naked and cold. I did not want to take his cloak from him, because I did not want him to get cold. When he finally woke up, he saw me shivering and immediately placed his cloak around my shoulders."

"The first thing he did after that was to ask me to forgive him for all he had done to me. This surprised me. After all I had done to him throughout the years, all the pain and suffering I had caused, he would ask me to forgive him. I told him that there was nothing to forgive, as I would most likely have done the same if our positions had been reversed. He carried me out of that dungeon then, and flew me to the Icarii tower. There he spent the next few weeks nursing me back to health. Getting me strong again. It was during that time that I fell in love with him. He knows how I feel for him, and I do hope that it is beginning to become a mutual feeling. I follow him of my own free will, no magic binds me to his."

Hearing Silverwolfe begin to approach again, Khelestra bowed to Toph, her fiery red hair tumbling off of her shoulders. Turning to Silverwolfe, Khelestra smiled, her green eyes twinkling. Seeing how close he was, Khelestra's heart shaped face flushed red. She was afraid he may have heard her last statement.

As he reached Toph and Khelestra, Silverwolfe returned Khelestra's smile and nodded in greeting. Looking at Toph he gestured to the rest of the icarii who had taken flight.

"I've sent them to the western docks to prepare for our departure. I would have gone with them, but I would prefer to accompany you on the ground if you don't mind."

Putting his hand on Khelestra's shoulder, Silverwolfe grinned. "She refuses to leave my side, So if you do allow me to accompany you, she will also come."

SIlverwolfe_
Stablehand

Postby Toph » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:59 pm

(OOC:Time to actually break in the alt/main character ;))
Toph blinked in surprise as Silverwolfe, and then Khelestra spoke. He had never actually heard the entire story of the two of them. The idea that Silverwolfe's arch-nemesis and his own enemy was now in love with Silverwolfe was... an amazing revelation. Toph had played a role in Silverwolfe and Khelestra's tale, and, well... this was a much better ending than he had thought would have happened.

Toph cleared his throat when Silverwolfe returned.

"Thank you, old friend, for telling me more about the Icarii. I had no idea that there was an actual bond between your people and you. Also, hearing that Sojus was an abberation from the rest of your line is... reassuring, to say the least.

That said, please understand that while I now understand that the remaining Icarii are bound to your will... they still are the primary reason that the Sidhe do not exist anymore, and that is not something I can forgive so easily."

Toph turned his head as he felt a familiar presence approach. Llardorwyn was on his way. Toph, Silverwolfe and Khelestra stepped back as the dragons prepared to land. Toph chuckled to himself. The peasants on the ridge must be feeling rather shocked. A Sidhe, a dozen Icarii, and now a grown Gold Dragon and an adolescent shade dragon were landing near them.

"Hello, Chosen" Llardorwyn rumbled.
"We have your things here. So, I assume we're leaving the island soon? The portents are... bad."

Toph nodded up at the dragon.
"Yes, Llardi, we're leaving soon. We've told the other Icarii and some of the people gathered here to meet us at the docks of Westbrook for passage off the island. Do tell me you brought Azrael's book."

"of course. Wait, there are more Icarii now? How interesting." Llardorwyn took a closer look at Khelestra and Silverwolfe
"I recognize Silverwolfe, Chosen, but... " the dragon's nostrils flared in alarm "Isnt this one Khelestra the demon? Do I need to cast a spell or twenty?"

"No, no, Llardorwyn" Toph said, patting the dragon lightly on the leg "I think things will be fine with Khelestra from now on.

If you and Nassir could head to the docks and start organizing, I have a few things I want to take care of first."

Toph's gaze wandered out across the fields, while Llardorwyn watched him, green eyes swirling softly in understanding.

"Going to look for Lyssia, Chosen?"

Toph nodded slowly. He hadnt seen or heard of Lyssia in months, and that was... quite unusual. He owed it to his kin, to his mentor, to his friend to both check up on and offer a way off the island. Truth be told, the sorceresses' magic would be quite a help, too. If he could find Syek and Mede, too... but, well, he assumed Lyssia would know of Syek's location, hopefully, and Mede... Astavia had her, so she was likely safe.

"yes, Llardorwyn. I am."

Llardorwyn nodded and looked to Nassir, who bobbled his head in acknowledgment.

"then we will see you at the docks soon."

With that, the dragons leapt into the air and began following the path the icarii had taken to the docks.

Toph looked to Silverwolfe and Khelestra.

"As you heard, I still plan to look for Lyssia. If you want to follow me, then we can go directly there, but if you want to wait at the ships, that is also alright. I imagine this will not take too long, since I only know of a handful of places she might be.
Death is fleeting, Life eternal. Catch hold of your inner light, and rise from the ashes.
Sidhe Mage
AoA-OAFS-GCS
Toph
Stablehand

Postby SIlverwolfe_ » Fri Nov 11, 2005 1:16 pm

Silverwolfe was somewhat apprehensive when he saw Llardowyn arrive. The last time the two had seen each other, Khelestra had possession of Silverwolfe's body, and had been smashing dragon eggs. As Llardowyn landed Silverwolfe bowed, and Khelestra followed suit. Silverwolfe was somewhat worried as the dragon turned his attention to Khelestra, but glad that Toph was nearby to calm him.

Silverwolfe stood there quietly and patiently as Toph and Llardowyn speak. Finally noticing the younger Dragon, Silverwolfe studied the size and shape compared to the larger Gold Dragon. He was intrigued, but resisted the urge to walk up to it and borrow the creatures essence for his shapeshifting.

Looking at the people, Silverwolfe laughed at their wide eyed stares. They probably believed that the sidhe and icarii were mere legends. Myths, created to entertain the masses sometime in the distant past. These people now knew differently, and were shocked to find out the truth.

Hearing Lyssia's name mentioned, Silverwolfe turned his attention back to Llardowyn and Toph. He knew Lyssia. She had been there the day Silverwolfe had died, and brought his body to a tomb in a now long forgotten city. When Silverwolfe regained his body, he sensed a group of adventurers nearby, and sought them out. Upon hearing that they were on a mission to save Lyssia, he immediately joined up. That was where Silverwolfe first met Toph. At the end of their journey, Silverwolfe drove his sword through her, freeing her from the creature that taken her body, but also giving her a mortal wound. A phoenix saved her life then, and Silverwolfe left.

The last time he had seen her was when they travelled the desert to a mountain range. There they repaired a magical mirror, and Silverwolfe saw his future within it. The small group parted ways then, and Silverwolfe hadn't seen or heard from her since.

Watching the dragons fly off, Silverwolfe noticed that Toph was now looking at him.

"As you heard, I still plan to look for Lyssia. If you want to follow me, then we can go directly there, but if you want to wait at the ships, that is also alright. I imagine this will not take too long, since I only know of a handful of places she might be."

Smiling, Silverwolfe put his hand on Toph's shoulder.

"Well, Since you don't mind, I think I'm going to have to follow you around for a while."

Playfully shoving Toph towards the pit Silverwolfe's grin got a little wider. "Lead the way my friend. We don't have all day."

SIlverwolfe_
Stablehand

Postby Toph » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:27 pm

Toph smiled slightly, playfully pushing Silverwolfe back. To think that they had been enemies at one point. Quite a change. Toph looked over at Khelestra. Quite a change indeed.

"well, yes, as you said, we dont have very much time. Lets get going"

Toph turned to the nearby onlookers and spoke
"would you mind stepping back about three steps? I've got some magic to do that if it touches you, will kill you."

The villagers were clearly daunted by the calm way in which Toph discussed magic that could kill them, and hurried back a good ten steps, which was just fine in Toph's opinion... the first time he had tried this spell, it had ended up nearly killing him when the magic cut through a tree and the tree tried to crush him.

He hadnt let it, though, and, well... he was a bit more in control nowadays. Concentrating, Toph cast the spell.

A slit of darkness appeared in the open air before him, expanding to at least six feet tall before widening out into what, for all intents and purposes, looked like a door. A door wreathed in black flames, but a door nonetheless. Toph concentrated a little more, and the door opened, revealing a desert landscape beyond. Toph paused for a moment, making sure everything was secure, and stepped into the portal.

Suddenly, it was very hot, and the wind was blowing dust into his eyes. Blinking furiously, Toph turned to watch Silverwolfe and Khelestra follow him through into the desert. When they had cleared the portal, Toph relaxed, and the magic collapsed in on itself, winking out in the space of a few seconds.
"this is as far as I've teleported into Lyssia's domain before. She tends to have... unpleasant surprizes for anyone who comes closer, and I'd rather deal with irate desert fanatics than automated magical defenses. Anyways, the temple where Lyssia has been living is about six hours that way. Lets get going."

Toph began walking west, deeper into the desert.

His first indications that something was wrong was, well, that nothing had gone wrong yet. All the other times he had visited, he had been... greeted... by fanatics, and escorted... forcibly, at times, into the camp. Needless to say, this hadnt happened, which was odd. Toph grew even more concerned when the encampment surrounding the temple appeared. The usually bustling marketplace was empty.

Or, mostly empty.

It appeared that the plague had visited the desert fanatics as well. the bodies were visible, if just barely, lying between the tents in the shade. There weren't nearly enough bodies to account for all the people Toph had seen before. So, perhaps they were at some sort of meeting at the temple. Or so Toph hoped.

The temple was as large as Toph remembered. Toph chuckled softly
"Lyssia cant have a normal castle or keep... no, she needs a fae city or a desert temple for her home."
The temple was empty, too... a few more bodies, but not many. It appeared that the surviving villagers had left already. Toph braced himself, and entered the temple proper. With the leaving of Darden, the temples defenses were no longer impenetrable.

Soon, Toph came to a large chamber. On the table in the middle of the chamber was a piece of paper. Toph hurried over, and read it.

"Lyssia,

I know you told us you wouldnt be returning for a long time, but if you return here before leaving the island, know that I am taking the people to the nearest docks to try and find passage off the island. Im not sure how well we desert types will handle the ocean, but anything is better than staying here, with the plague."

So, it appeared that Lyssia had left the fanatics and gone elsewhere.
Toph sighed, and turned to Silverwolfe
"She hasnt lived here in a while, if this note is accurate. As far as I know, theres only one other place that we have a good chance of finding her at."

"Gyppeswyk, where we first met"
Death is fleeting, Life eternal. Catch hold of your inner light, and rise from the ashes.
Sidhe Mage
AoA-OAFS-GCS
Toph
Stablehand

Postby Toph » Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:09 pm

Toph jumped as the ground beneath them started rumbling ominously. The island's time was nearly up.

"Come on!" he shouted to the two icarii, summoning forth another portal and hurrying through.

Gyppeswyk was much as he last remembered it, and by much the same, Toph meant that it was still a large blasted area in the center of the forest. Some grasses and small trees had begun to reclaim the spot where the city had been, but the destruction had been... complete, and very fierce.

Lyssia and Lossandrea, her... other half... had fought for control of Lyssia's body in Lyssia's tower at the center of the city. Toph and Silverwolfe had been part of the party who, led by Syek, had given Lyssia the slight edge she needed to place Lossandrea under her control... but the city had been the casualty of the conflict.

Toph shook his head. Clearly, Lyssia was not here, either.
"I guess... she either found a way off the island herself, or is dead. I hope its the former." Toph said over his shoulder to Silverwolfe. [/color=olive]"Anyways, shall we go?"[/color]

Toph summoned up another portal, and stepped through into the salty air of the costal town of Westbrook. Toph took a moment to breathe in the salty air, then began making his way down to the docks, pushing past the milling crowd of people seeking passage off the island. He would try to fit as many as possible on at a time, but...

"Hey! Where do you think you're going?" a voice from the crowd called out, as a hand reached out to stop his forward progress. "We're all trying to get on, why do you think you can go ahead like that?"

Toph turned to face the man who had grabbed his shoulder, and just looked at the man for a moment. The man was fairly well dressed, and was likely a lesser noble in some court or another. Toph concentrated, and the man's arm left Toph's sholder and returned to the man's side, where it was pinned in place by a band of force.

"Why? Because it will be my spell that gets you and all these people off the island. You need the Art, my friend, and we have it."
Toph jerked his head in the direction of Silverwolfe and Khelestra, who obligingly half unfurled their wings for show.
"Icarii" the man gasped. "I thought they were legend. But you are no Icarii, elf. What Art do you speak of?"

Toph looked at the man, smiling slightly. So, the Sidhe were elves, eh?
"Why, the Art of my race, the Sidhe."

Toph almost laughed at the man's expression, and took the moment to turn and continue to the docks, where Llardorwyn and Nassir were waiting.

"Good to see you, Chosen" Llardorwyn said. "I've taught the wizards who came the spell, and distruibuited the Icarii to different boats, as well. The boats are also as full of refugees as they really can be. I've saved room on the flagship for the five of us."

Llardorwyn paused, then continued

"The quakes have been getting more and more frequent and strong. We have very little time."
Toph turned to look back at the crowds waiting to board the boats.
"you say the boats are full of people?"
"Yes, as full as we could possibly make them"
"And all these people are still waiting?"
"Yes. Some other ships are supposedly on their way"
Toph nodded sadly. Hopefully those boats would make it in time. But they had to leave... now.
"Do you still have the book?"
Llardorwyn nodded and reached into his cloak, pulling out a book and handing it to Toph.
Toph took the book and turned to the nearest person in the crowd
"Give this book to any mage you come across. They will need the magic it describes to safely cross the Ward."
The woman looked startled, but took the book.

Toph turned to the others.
"then, lets go."
Sidhe Mage
AoA-OAFS-GCS
Toph
Stablehand

Postby SIlverwolfe_ » Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:02 am

Silverwolfe grinned at the stares he got from the people in the large crowd as he pushed through to the ships. He knew that he was an intimidating figure, but his calm and friendly personality usually eased peoples fears after a few minutes of conversation. There was no time for conversation at the moment, and both Silverwolfe and Khelestra's forms parted the crowd.

Within a few minutes they arrived at the flagship. There Toph spoke a few brief words to a woman and they pressed onward. Apon entering the ship, Silverwolfe looked around and saw that it was quite full. Ordering the plank pulled up, Silverwolfe leaped out of the ship and onto the docks. There he herded as many people as he could into the other ships, leaving the old and the weak on the docks. They wouldn't live through the trip, and the space was needed for people with a better chance at survival.

Even after all the ships were loaded, there were still several hundred people left on the docks. Sorrowfully hanging his head, Silverwolfe prepared to return to the flagship. Looking at the coastline, he spotted something approaching from the north. At first he couldn't make out what it was, but was overjoyed when he saw what it was. A small fleet of a dozen frigates waving the banners of his nephew Manhael's clan of elven assassins.

Waiting at the docks, Silverwolfe sent the currently filled ships to wait a few hundred yards out to allow space for the other ships to land. Once they finally did land nearly a half hour later, Silverwolfe was glad to see the large hulled ships. Everyone currently on the docks would be able to fit comfortably on merely three of these ships, and there were a dozen!

As the flagship of the assassin fleet landed, Silverwolfe's heart soared when he saw his nephew disembark. Running up to Manhael, Silverwolfe immediately embraced him. Holding Manhael at arms length, Silverwolfe's face beamed.

"Manhael! It's been forever. How did you know to find me here."

Shrugging, Manhael smiled back. "Word travels fast uncle. My spies saw the ships and people ammassing here a week back, so we decided to come to help. I didn't even know you were going to be here."

Still smiling, Silverwolfe finally let Manhael go. Gesturing to the large ships, Silverwolfe raised an eyebrow. "I must ask you, Where did you get all these beautiful warships?"

Laughing now, Manhael nervously scratched his head. "Well... Me and the boys here were tired of living in the background. We wanted a land of our own, so we built them from scratch several months back. We were planning on invading a coastal realm and taking it for ourselves. The isle's current problems put a damper on our plans."

Shaking his head, Silverwolfe glanced around at the few hundred people still lingering on the docks. "Tell me, do you have mages on your ships?"

Manhael nodded. "I have several dozen mage warriors in the clan. They are still in the ships." Looking at the people now, Manhael gestured. "Should I have them loaded onto the ships? We have plenty of room. However seven of these ships are loaded to the brim with supplies. We have enough dried goods, fruit and water to last several months."

Thrusting his hand into the sky, a ball of light flew into the air, summoning one of his icarii. When the icarii mage arrived, Silverwolfe grinned. It was Chari, his former mate. Turning to Manhael, Silverwolfe pointed to Chari. "Summon your mages. All of them. Chari here has a spell to teach us, and I have to explain something to them."

Manhael tapped one of his guards on the shoulder. Immediately the guard took off running, returning a few minutes later with three dozen elven mage warriors. Silverwolfe explained what Toph had told him about the ward surrounding the island, and had Chari teach them the spell to hold its effects at bay. Redistrubiting the mages evenly throughout the frigates, Silverwolfe sent Chari back to her ship.

Looking at Manhael, Silverwolfe put a hand on his shoulder. "All of the remaining people have boarded your ships. When we reach safe waters, we can redistribute some of the passengers from the overcrowded ships to your ships to help make the trip more comfortable. For now, return to your ship and cast off. Sail directly west. Once we pass through the ward we can change course if necessary."

Pointing out at the currently anchored ships further out in the sea, Silverwolfe singled one out. "The flagship of the fleet is the galleon sitting out there. I will return there to join with Toph and Khelestra."

Manhael had become worried when he saw the icarii Chari, but his face paled when he heard Khelestra was part of the group. "Silverwolfe. We have some things to discuss."

Nodding, Silverwolfe took flight, then called back. "Later, for now we must get these people to safety. Stay close to our fleet, and remember to keep your mages ready when we pass through the ward."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The fleet had sailed for nearly two hours before reaching the ward. The flagship sailed through the ward with ease. The combined magics of Toph, Silverwolfe and Khelestra easily holding back the ancient magics protecting the isle from outside invasion. After passing through the ward, Silverwolfe turned to watch the rest of the fleet sail through. Most of the ships passed through unscathed, but two of the smaller ships were consumed by the ward, and a few had taken minimal damage.

Looking through the ward, Silverwolfe knew he was looking at his ancient home's final hours. Tears streamed down Silverwolfe's face as the island was consumed by a firestorm. Clasping a fist to his heart in Salute, Silverwolfe watched the island untill it sank from view on the horizon.

Turning away from the dying island, Silverwolfe looked northward. He looked to the future, and all of the possibilities it may bring.

SIlverwolfe_
Stablehand

Postby Toph » Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:32 pm

Toph had been quite worried that, perhaps, the spell that Azrael had found would not be enough to protect them from the Ward, but thankfully, his doubts had proven unfounded. Yes, a few of the boats had, unfortunately, been consumed by the ward's energy, but most of them had made it past.

Toph bowed his head momentarially in remembrance of those who would never see land again, and then looked back on Tonan. It was far away, but, muttering a short spell, Toph was able to see back to the shore with ease.
The fires that had consumed his home had finally reached the shore, and the town of Westbrook didnt stand a chance. Toph watched as the buildings, one by one, started to burn, and was glad that the extra ships had come in time.
Toph turned away. What was this now... the second home that Toph had seen destroyed? At least this one hadnt exploded, like Mo'pri had.

Someone shouted, and Toph wheeled back around. The ward that they had just passed through was... flickering. As Toph watched, waves of color flowed down the walls of the ward, and then, the magic visibly contracted, drawing itself closer and closer to the island. That would be the end of it, then... when the Ward reached the island, it would rend anything left standing, until it reached its own source and, presumably, destroyed the machiene that created it.

Toph glanced over at Silverwolfe
"So, west? I figure thats as good a direction as any. I seem to recall that there are other islands out here... west seems like as good a direction as any to try and find a new one."
Sidhe Mage
AoA-OAFS-GCS
Toph
Stablehand

Postby Toph » Tue Dec 06, 2005 10:58 pm

They had been sailing for quite some time. Toph had spent much of his time in deep thought. Odds were, he was the last Sidhe in existance.

Oh, he could hope that the others he knew had made their way to safety like he had, but... there were no guarantees, and, well... Toph had kept his ears open during the past month's proceedings. The Sidhe were, by nature, reclusive... but they were leaders, not to mention nearly mythical. He should have heard rumors of at least *some* other Sidhe, if they existed.

He *had* heard the one tale about a Sidhe seen walking into an abandoned temple... an exciting bit of news... if that Sidhe hadn't been himself.

Toph thought back a bit to the others that had been left on the island... Johnny, Shawn, Moshi... Some of those names were from quite some time ago... it was possible they were already dead from old age anyways... but, well, wherever they were, they were most likely dead now.

"Land ho!"

Toph turned around to see that the elf lookout had indeed seen land in the distance. Soon, the island grew closer, and closer still. Toph tensed, waiting for some sort of Ward to pounce on them... but none came. Finally, the boats moored off the shore of the island, and began offloading passengers.

An hour later, Toph stood on the shore of a new island. He hoped this place would make as good of a home as Tonan had.
Sidhe Mage
AoA-OAFS-GCS
Toph
Stablehand

Return to Old Games Archive