by Corinthyalas » Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:48 pm
Unstoppable. That was the word he used. Bigger than anyone could understand... his words brought a memory screaming to the front of her mind, back when they were both so much younger and she was caught in a war of her own making between her Da and her elf king, back when she was still just little Cori Shadow, the half breed elfling.
Coris saw a very angry looking Aidan storming in their direction. She knew her cousin well enough to see that he was so lost in whatever had his temper riled this time that he wasn't paying attention to where he was going. He went to storm by her and Cori was horrified to see tears running down his face, she reached out to grab his shoulder and ended up jerking him back and slamming him to the ground pinning him when he turned around and swung at her. With his hands pinned above his head, Cori straddled over him she yelled his name to get his attention on her.
Aidan! Look at me!
He was breathing heavy and whatever happened Cori knew had to have been bad if it made Aidan mad enough to cry.
Aid!
Eyes as green as emeralds looked at her and when recognition flared in his gaze his breathing started to slow.
Cor...?
She nodded but didn't move.
Aidan what happened?
He shook his head and looked away from her.
You need to let me up Cor, if your dad sees you with me he's going to be mad.
Cori snorted forgetting that their grandparents were there, it didn't matter that Cori was almost grown, Aidan was still her best friend.
Not until you tell me what has you so pissed Aid.
I heard my dad and Aunt Ori talking... see I went to report in to our King like Ramseys told me to... and I heard him tell Ori that your father has every right to think I'm an asshole, because my father thinks I'm an asshole too... all this time I've been trying Cor, I've been trying really hard. I don't go to your house unless your Ma sends for me for lessons, I don't talk back to your dad anymore... I know I still have alot to get through and I still have alot of changes to make but I'm trying Cori and for what? Nothing I do is right. I thought I was doing good...
Coris eyes spit fire and she lifted her head looking to her grandparents at the same time she got off her cousin and helped him up off the ground. Her arms went around him protectively.
Do you see? If we aren't perfect this is what happens. Aidan has issues and he's a smart ass little bastard alot but you know what? He has been trying and it's not enough, nothing we do is ever good enough... he's only eight years old for gods sake why is he expected to act like a grown man at eight years old? Why can't he just be a kid for a little while and why can't anyone understand him? Poppy... we hate it here. We both do... I can't leave Aidan here alone....
Memories flashed, fast forwarding like someone skipping over the previews on a dvd she was brought to a another time, a place where she spent years building a life with the elf that she called King, lover, friend, husband, the father of her children. That life was slowly coming to an end, it was five years before Payne died and she was in his study with him sitting on the corner of his desk going over plans for the fall festival. Out of nowhere he started a conversation that she should have seen as a warning sign he would be gone from her soon.
I think a jousting tournament in Carters memory is a lovely idea... I just wish I would have thought of it myself... you always come up with the best ideas Payne...
She sighed and thought about her Poppy and his wife, Carter had been dead only a year, lost in a tournament and since then nothing anyone did could bring the Elder Toras from his darkened state. The only time Cori ever saw him smile was when she would throw herself at him and kiss his cheeks. Not even Toral, Tia and Taltos or Ardis, Astrid and Valiant could get any sort of emotion from him, so Cori took every opportunity she could to spend time with him.
I hate thinking that he's going to be alone Payne. Look at how long he went without caring for anyone after Gran was gone, oh I know there is always the chance he could meet another, but I don't think he'll ever open up like that again. It makes me think about what your life will be like when I'm gone. I don't ever want you to be alone Payne, not ever. You are too good, too wild to be alone...
She winked at him and was a little surprised when he stood up, came around the front of the desk and lifted her up to her feet wrapping her in his arms. He stared at her for a long minute with those dark warm eyes, and brushed back locks of her long blonde hair, then kissed her so lovingly she really thought she might cry. When that kiss broke she was looking up at him with a question in her eyes.
I think my Queen that I worry more for you, than I do for myself. Cori you have to promise me that if I leave our world before you that you will not close in on yourself, that you will see not just with your beautiful blue eyes, but with your beautiful soul, that there is still good in the world, that you can and will see love that is right there in front of you. You were never meant to be alone Cori, I've always known this...
She laughed at him then, ruffled his hair and threw her arms around his neck.
Enough of this dreary talk Payne... neither of us will be alone for a long time so it doesn't matter, but if it makes you happy then I promise all those things you want me to now can we please find something more cheerful to talk about?
Snapping from those memories brought her back to the present where she was enveloped in arms that had always held her when she needed to be held, arms that protected her when she needed to be protected, arms that comforted her and soothed all her fears when she was scared. Aidan. There had always been and would always be Aidan. Blue eyes looked into blue eyes that were almost twins to her own, and there she saw all that he had been trying to tell her, to make her see, everything she had known deep inside but didn't want to admit to out of fear for the consequences but now it all changed. Everything changed. Unstoppable, that was the word he used. Whispering was not necessary, they were alone but her words came out that way anyway.
He knew... and I can see what is right here...
She put her hands to the face that she had touched so many times before, so many times that were countless and Cori gave in, gave up, kept her promises. She accepted Aidans kisses, his touch and returned them with her own and finally Cori let go, in her heart she said her final and true good-bye to her elven king.