Templar Knights (TK) Recruitment and Chat

- Archive of the Guilds Game.

Templar Knights (TK) Recruitment and Chat

Postby Lady Maven » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:36 pm

First, the important stuff, our story and charter.

Templar Knights of Barnabas Story

Rise
The Knights Templar trace their origin back to shortly after the Leto Crusades. In 1119, a Barnabas nobleman from the MacNaa’nan region, Lord Kin'rane, collected nine of his knight relatives, and began the Guild, their stated mission to protect pilgrims in the God’s Rest. They approached King Ban'ormo II of Daan, and were allowed to set up headquarters on the southeastern side of the Temple Mount, in what is now known as the God’s Rest.



The Temple Mount is sacred to the Letites, Barnies, and Angelites, as an important location throughout history. It is the probable location of the ruins of the Temple of Islan, the legendary place where the gods rested before taking mortal form, and the last peace before the wars.
Little was heard of the Guild for their first nine years. In 1128 though, they started to become very well-known in Islan. They went on a fundraising campaign, asking for donations of money, land, or noble-born sons to join the Guild, with the implication that donations would help both to defend Daan, and to ensure the charitable giver of a place in Heaven. Their efforts were helped by leading priest Bernard de’Clairvaux a nephew of one of the original nine, who became the Guild's powerful patron. Bernard wrote a multi-page letter entitled "In Praise of the New Knighthood", championing:
[A Templar Knight] is truly a fearless knight, and secure on every side, for his soul is protected by the armor of faith, just as his body is protected by the armor of steel. He is thus doubly-armed, and need fear neither demons nor heathens. [1]
Lord Kin’rane and Bernard participated in the 1128 Council of Barnabas, where the Guild was officially recognized and confirmed, and the donations came pouring in. For example, in the 1130s, The High Priest of Barnabas, left large tracts of land to the Guild upon his death.



In 1139, even more power was conferred upon the Guild by, the High Priesthood of Barnabas who issued an edict. It stated that the Knights Templar could pass freely through any bGuild, owed no tithes, and were subject to no one's authority except that of the High Priest. It was a remarkable confirmation of power, which may have been brought about by the Guild's patron, Bernard de’Clairvaux, who had become the High Priest
Warriors


The Knights Templar were the elite fighting force of their day. However, not all of them were warriors. The mission of most of the members was one of support -- to acquire resources which could be used to fund, equip, and bring back information for the small percentage of members who were fighting on the front lines. Because of this infrastructure, the warriors were well-trained and very well-armed, and very well informed. Even their horses were trained to fight in combat, kicking or biting the enemies.
The Templars were also shrewd tacticians, following the dream of High Priest Bernard who had declared that a small force, under the right conditions, could defeat a much larger enemy. One of the key battles in which this was demonstrated was in 1177, at the Battle of South Hill. The famous Angelite military leader Loromo was attempting to push toward Daan from the south, with a force of 26,000 soldiers. He had pinned the forces of Daan's King Angskel, about 500 knights and their supporters, near the coast, at Ascalon. Eighty Templar knights and their own entourage attempted to reinforce. They met Loromo's troops at Gaza, but were considered too small a force to be worth fighting, so Loromo turned his back on them and headed with his army towards Daan.



Once Loromo and his army had moved on, the Templars were able to join King Angskel's forces, and together they proceeded north along the coast. Loromo had made a key mistake at that point -- instead of keeping his forces together, he permitted his army to temporarily spread out and pillage various villages on their way to Daan. The Templars took advantage of this low state of readiness to launch a surprise ambush directly against Loromo and his bodyguard, at South Hill near Almara. Loromo's army was spread too thin to adequately defend themselves, and he and his forces were forced to fight a losing battle as they retreated back to the south, ending up with only a tenth of their original number. The battle was not the final one with Loromo, but it bought a year of peace for the Kingdom of Daan, and the victory became a heroic legend.
The Templars, though relatively small in number, routinely joined other armies in key battles. They would be the force that would ram through the enemy's front lines at the beginning of a battle, or the fighters that would protect the army from the rear.

Bankers

When members joined the Guild, they often donated large amounts of cash or property, since all had to take oaths of poverty. Combined with massive grants from the High Priest, the Guild's financial power was assured from the beginning. Since the Templars kept cash in all their chapter houses and temples, it was natural that in 1135 the Guild started lending money to Barnabas pilgrims who wanted to travel to God’s Rest.

By 1150, the Guild's original mission of guarding pilgrims had changed into a mission of guarding their valuables through an innovative way of issuing letters of credit, an early precursor of modern banking. Pilgrims would visit a Templar house in their home country, depositing their deeds and valuables. The Templars would then give them an encrypted letter which would describe their holdings. While traveling, the pilgrims could present the letter to other Templars along the way, to "withdraw" funds from their account. This kept the pilgrims safe since they were not carrying valuables, and further increased the power of the Templars.



The Knights' involvement in banking grew over time into a new basis for money, as Templars became increasingly involved in banking activities. One indication of their powerful political connections is that the Templars' involvement in usury did not lead to more controversy within the Guild and the church at large. Officially the idea of lending money in return for interest was forbidden by the church, but the Guild sidestepped this with clever loopholes, such as a stipulation that the Templars retained the rights to the production of mortgaged property. Or as one Templar researcher put it, "Since they weren't allowed to charge interest, they charged rent instead."
The Templars' political connections and awareness of the essentially urban and commercial nature of the Outremer communities naturally led the Guild to a position of significant power, both in Islan and the God’s Rest. They owned large tracts of land both in Islan and the God’s Rest, built churches and castles, bought farms and vineyards, were involved in manufacturing and import/export, had their own fleet of ships, and for a time even owned the entire island of Cana’em. The Knights Templar were literally part of the fabric of everyday society in Islan for nearly 200 years.

Decline

Their success attracted the concern of many other Guilds and eventually that of the nobility and monarchs of Islan as well, who were at this time seeking to monopolize control of money and banking after a long chaotic period in which civil society, especially the Church and its lay Guilds, had dominated financial activities.



Their long-famed military acumen also began to stumble. In 1187 came the disastrous Battle of the Horns of Templar Rise, a turning point in the Crusades. It again involved Loromo, who had been beaten back by the Templars in 1177 in the legendary Battle of Montgisard near Saireb, but this time Loromo was better-prepared. Further, the Grand Master of the Templars was involved in this battle, Gerard de Aughranpol , who had just achieved that lifetime position a few years earlier. He was not known as a good military strategist, and he made some deadly errors, such as venturing out with his force of 80 knights without adequate supplies or water, under the devastating desert sun. The Templars were overcome by the desert heat within a day, and then surrounded and massacred by Loromo's army. Aughranpol then made a further error which was destined to demoralize the entire Templar Guild -- rather than fighting to the death as was the Templar mandate, he was captured, and allowed himself to be ransomed by surrendering Templar Rise to Loromo. Aughranpol then tried to attack Loromo's forces again a few months later at the Siege of An’kel, but this too ended in failure and capture, only this time he was beheaded.


The battle marked a turning point in the Crusades, and within a short time the Angelites had re-taken Daan. This shook the foundation of the Templars, whose entire reason for being had been to support the efforts in the God’s Rest. They attempted to drum up more support among Islanan nobility to return to battle, but after the fallibility shown by Grand Master Gerard de Aughranpol, the allied Guild’s withdrew their own support of the war. Without the support of other Guilds, even the remarkable leadership of King Chaourn could not prevail. Islan had lost interest in pursuing the losing battles of the Crusades. The Guild of the Templars became a Guild without a clear purpose or support, but which still had enormous financial power. This unstable situation contributed to their downfall, their last kingdom fell shortly after this battle, and their families scattered with what was portable of their wealth

Today

But that is all ancient history. The Templar Knights of today are the descendants of those knights of old, both the good, and the bad, the mighty, and the incompenent. Determined to fulfill their self appointed task of bringing all of the lands under the banner of Barnabas, today’s Templar’s have their work cut out for the,. Most of the riches from days past long spent, and with few members, there is a lit of work to be done.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out screaming "HOLY SHIT ..... what a ride"!!
User avatar
Lady Maven
Royalty
 
Posts: 8270
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Sacramento CA

Postby Lady Maven » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:38 pm

In the interest of saving your scrolling arm, I am breaking this up, lol.

Templar Knights Charter

Grand Master – the GM

Master of * -same as AGM

Knights - officer-often a squad leader/more responsibility

Sergeant - trusted members

Brother – newer/probation members

Should Lady Maven leave the guild, one of the AGM’s will step up and assume command until she returns.


Promotion will be based on many things. Your level of participation is chief among them. I don’t care if you get your ass kicked regularly, as long as you show up to get your ass kicked. It will also be based on whether or not I like you. That’s a big one.

It’s ok to ask to be promoted; I forget sometimes that a person hasn’t been. It is NOT ok to pester me or an AGM to be promoted.

**NOTE: Posting on Tempers Ball is not required, but highly encouraged.

1. Do not make an ass of yourself.
2. Do not post accusations of cheating.
3. Do not post bug reports.
4. Do not post kingdom numbers.
5. Do not post redundant messages (no spamming).

How to make Maven mad in 4 easy steps:

1. Being an ass: this will be pretty liberal, it takes an awful lot to get ME to consider you an ass, so if I tell you to knock it off once, I will only repeat myself with the boot button

2. Randomly attacking/sorcing/scummer other kingdoms. Don’t do it, ever. Don’t even THINK about doing it. And never, ever, as one did, tell me that I’m not the boss of you.

3. Cheating/OOC spying, this is low stuff people, we don’t do this. There are a lot of ways to get scum reports, too many to ever make us look like slime doing it.

4. Helping a known banned player get in to the guild. I will not only kick you for this, but I will pass out your number to the heathens. There are certain banned players that are far worse than others to help.

If you wish to join The Templar Knights, please PM/Email/ICQ Maven My contacts are all in my profile, and below, send me all of the following that pertains to you:

1) How long have you been here?
2) Your board name
3) Your kingdom name
4) Your email, ICQ etc.
5) Whether or not you have an interest in role play, this will determine whether or not we ever have a role play thread, no point in it if no one wants to
6) If you know anyone currently in The Templar Knights this will not automatically get you in, nor will not knowing someone bar you, it’s just nicer sometimes to quad up with people you know

Contacting me is important, it won’t automatically bar you from acceptance, but it IS part of the overall promotion process.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out screaming "HOLY SHIT ..... what a ride"!!
User avatar
Lady Maven
Royalty
 
Posts: 8270
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Sacramento CA

Postby Lady Maven » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:43 pm

Okies, all of the preliminary stuff done with.

I don't play to win. If you do, play for one of the other fine Barnabas Guilds. There are many who enjoy playing to come out on top. I am ok with being on the bottom where I can bite the heathens in the kneecaps. I play for a good time. I play because I usually get a really great comraderie going with my members. They like me, and I like them, and having a guild gives us a reason to like on each other. No more no less. I don't care if you have been here 6 days or 6 years. If you hold our NW down, it is doubtful I will ever know since I only check the rankings to see who we can hit.

If you are new, someone in the guild will take on the task of teaching you. If you aren't, someone in the guild will take on the task of browbeating you in to teaching those who are.


edit/ and holy #### Batman, they already approved me, lol.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out screaming "HOLY SHIT ..... what a ride"!!
User avatar
Lady Maven
Royalty
 
Posts: 8270
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Sacramento CA

Postby Blackheart » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:42 pm

Hi. Thanks for accepting me. I'm new to this game, so please treat me kindly.

I promise I'll only be responsible for keeping the guild at the bottom of the scrolls 3/4ths of the time.
"An object at rest, CANNOT BE STOPPED!"
User avatar
Blackheart
Stablehand
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: TN

Postby Lady Maven » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:57 pm

YAA DOGGIES!!! Our first "canon" fodder!!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out screaming "HOLY SHIT ..... what a ride"!!
User avatar
Lady Maven
Royalty
 
Posts: 8270
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Sacramento CA

Postby Dyvim Tvar » Tue Apr 18, 2006 4:57 pm

Blackheart wrote:Hi. Thanks for accepting me. I'm new to this game, so please treat me kindly.

I promise I'll only be responsible for keeping the guild at the bottom of the scrolls 3/4ths of the time.


You just go from bad home to worse home man. Next thing you know you'll be in a guild run by, well, me!
;-p
Eddie Kim sends his regards, motherfucker!
WhY so SeriOUs?
FOXHOUND - It'll make you a god damn sexual tyrannosaur, just like me!
User avatar
Dyvim Tvar
International Superstar
 
Posts: 4196
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: The palahahahahahAHAHAHA

Postby Lady Maven » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:00 pm

hey man, we're not bad, we're just... well... ok, we're bad, but we believe in Liberty and Free Booze for all!!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out screaming "HOLY SHIT ..... what a ride"!!
User avatar
Lady Maven
Royalty
 
Posts: 8270
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Sacramento CA

Postby Blackheart » Tue Apr 18, 2006 5:19 pm

Dyvim Tvar wrote:You just go from bad home to worse home man. Next thing you know you'll be in a guild run by, well, me!
;-p


Eh....at least I'm not going from bad icon to worse icon. :P
"An object at rest, CANNOT BE STOPPED!"
User avatar
Blackheart
Stablehand
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: TN

Postby Dyvim Tvar » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:02 pm

No, when you hit a goldmine of pure crap you stick with it to the end it seems.
Eddie Kim sends his regards, motherfucker!
WhY so SeriOUs?
FOXHOUND - It'll make you a god damn sexual tyrannosaur, just like me!
User avatar
Dyvim Tvar
International Superstar
 
Posts: 4196
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: The palahahahahahAHAHAHA

Postby RogueWolf » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:16 pm

Dyvim Tvar wrote:You just go from bad home to worse home man. Next thing you know you'll be in a guild run by, well, me!
;-p


yeah, being in one of dyvim's guilds is just about the time you know that your career is over. there's just no coming back from that *shakes head*

dun listen to blackheart maven, he's almost guarenteed to keep you always down, and often acts up in warchats ;p

though, the amazing thing is that maven made a guild, i keep thinking she's gonna leave, and now she has a guild again. guess it's the sign of the times ;p
Woof

Guess who's back... back again... What? I've already admitted I had problems, what more do you want, my tail?????
User avatar
RogueWolf
Stablehand
 
Posts: 242
Joined: Fri May 14, 2004 12:48 am
Location: Lost in a shadow I normally dare not tread.

Postby Blackheart » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:28 pm

Damn....not only do I apparently have a goldmine of pure crap as an icon, I can't choose a good guild, and I'll be a detriment to any one I pick.

I think it's time for me to hang it up. yeah right, ;-P
"An object at rest, CANNOT BE STOPPED!"
User avatar
Blackheart
Stablehand
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: TN

Postby Ford Prefect » Tue Apr 18, 2006 6:41 pm

I have a Templar Knight tattoo on my back........
and welcome to barnabas
~Erin go braugh~
~D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.~
User avatar
Ford Prefect
Squire
 
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2004 9:54 am
Location: planet near Betelgeuse

Postby Bran » Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:07 pm

Madam, I have applied to the ranks of the Templar Knights. I have my blood red armor, razor sharp double edged bastard sword and a fiesty war horse....

and booze, lots and lots of booze....

*Bran points to the train of wagons cresting a far hill. Strapped to the beds of the wagons can be seen many casks. The wagons are being driven by drunken teamsters singing the song, The Drunken Scotsman*

Lad I don't know where you been, but I see you've won first PRRRRIIIIIIZZZZEEEEEE!!!!
"fortes fortuna adiuvat"
DF
User avatar
Bran
Traveler
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Arkansas

Postby Lady Maven » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:43 pm

Yer in, and I have a MUCH better Irish drinking song!!

I bang on the door but she won't let me in

'Cause you're sick and tired of me reeking of gin

You lock all the doors from the front to the back

and left me a note telling me I should pack

I walk in the bar and the fella's all cheer

Order me up a whiskey and beer

If you're asking me why I'm writing this poem

Some call it a tavern but I call it home

Fuck you I'm drunk, fuck you I'm drunk

Pour my beer down the drain, I've got more in the trunk

Fuck you I'm drunk, fuck you I'm drunk

And I'm gonna be drunk 'til the next time I'm drunk

You've given me an option, you said I must choose

'tween you and the liquor, then I'll take the booze

I'm jumpin' on Western down to the south side

Where I'll sit down and exercise my Irish Pride


http://www.flurl.com/item/Fuck_You_Im_Drunk_u_117484/
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out screaming "HOLY SHIT ..... what a ride"!!
User avatar
Lady Maven
Royalty
 
Posts: 8270
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Sacramento CA

Postby Rahvin » Wed Apr 19, 2006 7:02 am

Blackheart wrote:
Dyvim Tvar wrote:You just go from bad home to worse home man. Next thing you know you'll be in a guild run by, well, me!
;-p


Eh....at least I'm not going from bad icon to worse icon. :P


depends on how you look at it...the new icon is less "gay"..

of course not that that's a bad thing

;P
Rahvin
You can't have Manslaughter without Laughter
User avatar
Rahvin
Pickpocket
 
Posts: 1858
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Blackheart » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:26 am

You have a point, Rahvin, but I didn't think he could do any worse after that Spirit Squad icon....and yet he did.

I'll give him credit for his current icon though.
"An object at rest, CANNOT BE STOPPED!"
User avatar
Blackheart
Stablehand
 
Posts: 327
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: TN

Postby Bran » Wed May 10, 2006 8:58 am

I can't remember what thread it was that I posted this in but my dog Bran died last Friday night. He was 10 or so, we were never really sure how old he was when we got him because he wasn't a puppy but he wasn't a mature dog either.

Anyway we buried him in the backyard with all the other animals. My son cried and we had to explain to him about where Bran was and that he would not be coming back. The next morning when I got home from work the first thing he asked me was when we were going to get a puppy.

4 yr olds bounce back quick :)

I have my last final today, so wish me luck. Tonight I shall be boozing it up in celebration of the fact that I only have 15 hours left to go on my Bachelors Degree.

Hell Yeah Bitchesssss!!!!!!!!!!
"fortes fortuna adiuvat"
DF
User avatar
Bran
Traveler
 
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Arkansas

Postby Lady Maven » Wed May 10, 2006 1:35 pm

Sorry to hear again about your dog, man.. I'd be lost without my mutts..

But YAY! on the degree, and go study and stop fucking posting here, that's an order!
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out screaming "HOLY SHIT ..... what a ride"!!
User avatar
Lady Maven
Royalty
 
Posts: 8270
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Sacramento CA


Return to Guilds

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]

cron