Sartorious has passed away

- This forum will house threads that are being archived, in the memory of those who have passed beyond our mortal realm.

Sartorious has passed away

Postby Taylor » Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:39 am

Greetings

I am Taylor and proud to be brother to the man you all know as Sartorious-Sorcer with a Sword. I am not sure exactly how to write this and have been dreading and putting it off for a couple of days so I will come straight to the point. He has finally lost his battle with Cancer though it was in an unexpected way. He had a violent reaction to the combination chemotherapy he recently started.

Most of you did not even know Sartorious was sick but he had Renal Adenocarcinoma. This has been a very trying time on him and his family. Orginally they did not even diagnosis him correctly. At first, the Doctors were telling him nothing was wrong and that he was completely healthy but HE KNEW something was wrong. Then It was orginally thought he had some off the wall unusual Liver cancer. Then the testing revealed that he had Renal Adenocarcinoma that had spread to several organs already.

He has kept it quiet for his own personal reasons except in his own words: A few important personal friends and once when he got "all loopy and depressed on the pain meds." I guess he made himself feel "stupid and weak" by "babbling about dying "in a couple of posts etc. I am still not completely sure this is how he would want me to tell his friends but I decided it was the only sure way to let his ALL of his friends in this game know.

Sartorious has been playing this game for literally YEARS...Our whole family teased him about playing "a game where you do absolutely nothing and do it for hours!" Monarchy/Evernight was called "Malarky" ever since his little boy called it that asking if he could play.

I never really had taken the time or interest to figure out why this game meant so much to him. But several weeks ago, I moved in to help him out. And I will be damned but he would be literally vomiting into a waste basket and telling me "I have to at least look in on my guild and check my kingdoms." He would be feeling worse then any human should be allowed to feel and he would log in to ICQ or the guild chat room and see if anyone was there. All the while trying to put up his brave side so no one knew how bad he was. Some of the stories he has told me involving this game are amazing and lend me alot of insight as to why he loved it and the people in it so much.

Towards the end, as he got worse and worse he felt he had let his guilds and friends down. It got to were he was unable to even check on his kingdoms much less play it every day or post for Maxim. He really felt as if he had let Virch and TNE down...I could not tell you how many times he mentioned that. Anyway I wanted to tell his friends in TNE/INCA/Silence that he did his very best right up until the end. And personally I am a little amazed he was able to keep so many of his kingdoms up in the top fiftey in the ranks.

A few things you guys might not know about my brother that I would like you to know. He was a very loving and patient husband and father. He was a great brother and friend. He would do just about anything for anyone and had very few people that he did not get along with. He was into Martial Arts big time...he was invited to and competed in the U.S Open martial Arts tournement for 4 years in a row. While he never finished in first place, he made it to the Final four each time finishing second twice, third and fourth once each. He is a RN on the Trauma Team and on the Neurological Floor and he loved his job. He loves Football and Soccer. He loves fishing and boating. He leaves a wife and a 9 year old son and a 6 month old daugther who need your prayers.

I am sorry this ended up so long but this is very difficult for me to write. Everything about this is hard. Hell, I even debated what the damned title would be for 20 minutes. This is all very difficult Made even more difficult by the memory of carrying his little baby girl around the neighborhood last night in her little LadyBug costume as his 9 year old son was trick or treating house to house. More then once has writting this made me cry as it is still so damned hard to realize he is gone.

There is No Way I could attempt to address each of his friends. So you guys/gals will know who you are. While I thought writting this would be hard, I dont know how to end it so I guess it will do it as I started it. Abruptly and to the point.

Thanks for the enjoyment he received from you all...
Taylor
Stablehand
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:39 am

Postby _Nagash_ » Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:50 am

I'm speechless................

Condoleances...................................
Honorary title: Verena's right nipple
User avatar
_Nagash_
Teh Spam!
 
Posts: 14851
Joined: Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:13 am
Location: Swaffletown

Postby Thepheonix » Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:52 am

wow... Im speechless as well...

Im so sorry. My condolences to everyone...
~OAFS' Resident Sidhe Mage~
The "EpiToph of Faith" ~Nagash
User avatar
Thepheonix
Peasant
 
Posts: 905
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: CA

Postby Yarrick » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:00 am

Condolescences... most heart felt ones.

:(
~Nobody is perfect, but I'm pretty f*cking close~
Yarrie the Pooh... don't hurt me or I'll have to call my MuM!!
A.D.I.D.A.S.
http://yarrick.mine.nu/MuM/request.php
User avatar
Yarrick
Stablehand
 
Posts: 417
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Udine, Italy

Postby Whit » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:11 am

A year or two ago, my father was very ill. At the time, we were in a particuarly nasty war with TNE. Sart was GM of TNE and I was GM of ISA at the time. Everyone here knows of the bad blood between the two guilds.

Not a single day went by that Sartorious did not contact me and ask about my father. We quit talking about the game altogether. I learned of his life and he learned of mine.

When he first learned that he was sick, it was a very difficult time for him. His wife was pregnant with their first child and they had just bought a house. He was told that he would not live to see the baby. At least in that, the doctors were wrong. Sart did see the baby and for that, he was thankful.

Sartorious was one of the good guys. He could bash your kingdom with a smile on his face, and still talk to you as your friend and mean it. I will miss him greatly.

Some of you may have noticed that even Virch and I quit beating each other up on the boards. We did that as a tribute to our friend, Sartorious.
User avatar
Whit
Admin - Designated Adult
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Shady Grove Retirement Home

Postby Sail_or » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:13 am

No matter how shocked I am by this so unexpected sad news, I wish you and the rest of his family all possible strength in this difficult and trying time.

Sartious was held in high regard and his passing is a sad loss for our community as well.

We offer you our most sincere condolences.
Consul of Viri Militari
Master builder extrordinair
Owner of Belle's rolling bar with fishbowl.
Solo: Memories. Foundation: Roling, roling, roling.... Reylan is still an ass.
User avatar
Sail_or
Journeyman
 
Posts: 2240
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Melbourne, Australia.

Postby General Andy Icarn » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:16 am

oh my god.

never had someone I really kinda knew more than casually in the game die...Sartorious is/was an awesome guy, occasionally ran into him, scrapped around, and had fun. I didn't even know anything was wrong. Thank you for coming here and telling us. He will be greatly missed. Damn, what can I even say?
-={Lialia}=-
{Barnabas}SOL
I'm in FEL?
User avatar
General Andy Icarn
Journeyman
 
Posts: 2425
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Tara » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:27 am

I'm sorry but I just can't think of anything to say other than how bad I feel for your family's loss.

Sart was a loving an' gracious friend, he'll be greatly missed, an' moreso, greatly remembered.


User avatar
Tara
The Wenchie
 
Posts: 2053
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: The Slippery Slope: helluva ride..

Postby Bat » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:34 am

i feel very bad about the news

i am speechless about the loss of our good friend!
FOUNDATION till they didn't liked the Europeans anymore(Unity) - Goblin Family (GF)
Bat
Pickpocket
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Grunt » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:35 am

to a fallen warrior I salute you
have a drink with bo ri kat
your battles were epic and shall be remembered
Random acts of kindness will save the world
A Few Tend the Tree of Freedom so Many can Live in its Shade
To send men to the firing squad judicial proof is unnecessary Che Guevara
Doing the right thing is seldom popular and never easy
User avatar
Grunt
Upper Royalty
 
Posts: 10189
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Shalimar

Postby Kenos » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:43 am

Farewell Sartorious :cry:

you were a good man and will be remembered
User avatar
Kenos
Peasant
 
Posts: 795
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Heghta » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:54 am

What to say? I haven't known Sart well, but like pretty much everyone who played or plays this game, I have known him, since he was both an active player and active poster. I do remember arguing with him a few times on the boards when i played for ISA andwe were in a war.

And even if i hardly knew him personally, he was well known and respected around here, and considered an important person in this community. So it is all the more shocking to hear this so suddenly and unexpectedly.

Strange to hear that today, since 1st of November is the day here on which we remember those who passed away before us, a day everyone thinks about death and friends lost.

So I can do not more than to say condolences to his friends, his family, and most of all, his children, who will miss their father most.

"When you get born, you cry, whilst everyone around is laughing,
when you die, you laugh, whilst everyone around you is crying."
-old austrian saying
AGM of War - ISA
ISA - because gangbanging alone just doesn't cut it!
Once more unto the breach, once more!
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum!
User avatar
Heghta
Stablehand
 
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Austria

Postby Bat » Sat Nov 01, 2003 7:58 am

he once send me this picture of him and his family

it's taken a few years ago

Image[/img]
FOUNDATION till they didn't liked the Europeans anymore(Unity) - Goblin Family (GF)
Bat
Pickpocket
 
Posts: 1329
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby LeoEire » Sat Nov 01, 2003 8:19 am

My prayers for Sart and condolences for his family.





~~AGM LKA~~
User avatar
LeoEire
Pickpocket
 
Posts: 1424
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: BeHiNd YoU..

Postby Glorfindel » Sat Nov 01, 2003 9:30 am

What amazes me is a point that Whit touched on.

The game is built to promote political intrigue and diplomacy, and the players take it and run with it, which is all well and fine.

But in the meantime, we forget that there are REAL people behind the ICQ numbers, posting aliases, and IRC nicks. In the 4+ years I've played this game, I think I only really dealt with Sartorius a handful of times.

Taylor, your family has my prayers.

I hope that this can help us tone down our venomous attacks on each other. In the end, we're all human and I think we should remember that.
TRC - Often imitated, never duplicated.
User avatar
Glorfindel
Journeyman
 
Posts: 2269
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Suffolk, VA

Postby Torkano » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:01 am

When I first got the news through Sarty's ICQ I thought he was playing a joke. He liked to pull pranks. I knew he was sick but never thought our Sartorious wouldn't make it. Then I looked at the other several ICQ messages and took a look at the link. I just don't know how to really handle this. It is too damn devastating. I loved Sarty like one of my best friends. He would do anything for you. Always make you laugh. He was a great leader, player, and an even better friend.

I honestly think I will have this break in my heart for a very very long time. I missed him alot when he wasn't around. He would come on every now and then between his chemo sessions. That's how dedicated of a player and a friend he was. Always checking to see how his friends and his guild was doing. Now that he won't be coming back, I can't even begin to tell you how I feel or how much I miss this wonderful guy.

Sarty, I miss you. Now you aren't in pain and feeling so lousy. Although we are in pain and feeling lousy, you at least don't have to suffer anymore. I wish we all could have taken a little bit of your pain away. Remember old friend that we love you and will always remember you. You will never be forgotten and will always remain in my heart. Good bye my friend. You will be sorely missed.

Damnit!
Sartorious lives on forever in my heart and memories!
<Thantos> so there's 5 we have to break tonite
<Sexxay-Dux> well whichuns are the biggewst
<Art_is_Sexy> can we break them with fucking?
User avatar
Torkano
Don't mess with da Elf
 
Posts: 8698
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: The little guy on your shoulder

Postby ~Vox~ » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:14 am

Sartorious was one of the good guys. He could bash your kingdom with a smile on his face, and still talk to you as your friend and mean it. I will miss him greatly.


Amen


It's been a good while, probably over 6months or so since i talked to him last but he was one of the people i had alot of respect for. Whether i agreed with him or not or he with me we always understood what was behind it all. Fun.

Characterwise we didn't get along to well, but off the boards even when we were on opposite sides we got along. I didn't know him personally but we did chat back and forth for awhile. I'll regret not keeping up with him.




[shadow=darkblue]As i sit here alone and try to be calm
Wondering almost hopelessly what would i do
Could i be strong and stand on my own, steady and firm
Always to myself be true
Sometimes stop and reflect, then continue on
As i think of you

Emotions surge as i watch the clouds and wonder why
Feeling of pain and fighting it down
Then stop and let go, taking time to say goodbye

You were someone understanding and true
A friend to me
Always to be remembered, never forgotten
Thinking now of what i shall never see

As i continue on my way, beginning my journey anew
This road is now more lonesome and i know
Sometime, someday i may be blue
And that is when i will stop
and think of you.[/shadow]



No it's not that great, just something i wanted to try. Some others that graced these halls have passed on that i never knew at all or spoke to. Sart wasn't one of those so i decided to leave a little something. Good or bad. Thanks for putting up with me bro........
~Eddie~
Monkey see, Monkey do
User avatar
~Vox~
Journeyman
 
Posts: 2829
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: South Carolina

Postby Cru » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:20 am

My thoughts and prayers are with the family.

Image
~Phenomenal Woman, that's me~
~DotFR~ http://dotfr.us
"Don't measure the distance; measure my love."
Alt of Ms Evernight 2003/2004
User avatar
Cru
Stablehand
 
Posts: 206
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Darnivan » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:42 am

It has been a long time since I have had the opportunity to talk to 'ol Sartorious. I have only recently returned to the game and haven't seen him since then, but from two years ago I remember him well. He was one of the players I respected most and will miss.

Condolences and prayers for the family. This must be hardest on them.

- Darnivan
Lost Soul of SOLO
User avatar
Darnivan
Pickpocket
 
Posts: 1337
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Virch » Sat Nov 01, 2003 10:53 am

i still remember the day when sart told me he was going for testing and waited with him for the results. a week later he told me the results and i was still not smart enough to understand what the numbers meant. i asked is that bad sart. he said yes virch real bad. i said how bad sart. he said virch i am going to die. the shock and horror of those words haunt me to this day.i also rememer him saying he wanted to hold his unborn daughter,and we talked daily about this struggle he faced.his desire to to survive and hold his daughter must have given him strenght that few will ever achieve or know. for he did accomplish that. i was so proud that day and he made sure to sneak online and drop me a note. i remember just walking away and grabbing my son and giving him a huge hug.my wife asked what was wrong as i was crying and holding our son. i told her i am crying for a man that i have never met.

we had been freinds for 5 years almost as long as i have played this game.perhaps as close as any freind i have cept for dr stones.together we brain stormed and started what is tne. spent countless hours online about game and more importantly talking about life and the hurdles it has to throw at you. i am not sure if it the ease of talking about problems online that makes it so much easier to be honest and open,or if sart and i had just became that close,i am guessing the second.

thank you for letting us know,i am sure it was a painful thing to do,but i do not think any of us could bear not actually knowing and wondering why sarty wasnt around.

i am again crying to hard to type..........i grieve with you today.
sometimes you're the bug,sometimes you're the windshield
User avatar
Virch
Journeyman
 
Posts: 2085
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Gaborn » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:01 am

This is probably some of the worst news I've heard in a long time. I've been reading Sart's posts for years and have long been an admirer of his though I don't believe we ever posted in the same thread. Its always hard to lose a person connected with this game, people here feel it no matter if they know the person as a regular poster or if the person was mostly a lurker. Sart was one of the pillars of the community and will never be forgotten.
Defenders of the Night
Rangers of Ver
User avatar
Gaborn
Peasant
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:19 am

Postby Counselor » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:03 am

Through the years I had grown to respect Sart. This....

He was just such a darned good person
User avatar
Counselor
Peasant
 
Posts: 998
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: West by God Virginia

Postby dragon12 » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:13 am

Being around here for only a couple of weeks, I can't say that I've ever seen a post by Sart never mind actually spoken to him...
But your post would have the power to move anyone, and I feel like crying myself...it's always hard when someone dies before their time.
I give you and his family my condolences.
dragon12
Stablehand
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:22 am
Location: In a figment of my own imagination

Postby Mickal Redwater » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:15 am

I've been playing this game for almost 6 or 7 years now.. i've know Sart for as long as hes been around... i've fought by his side many times and against him just as many.

Its always sad when things like this happen.. there have been a few over the years.... and it always feels like you've lost a real life friend.

That is because people here are real friends.

Sart will be missed.

Condolences to his family as well.
Lancelot: Would it not be a comfort, just for a time, to believe that we create our own Heavens, and our own Hells?
FEL forever
User avatar
Mickal Redwater
Pickpocket
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:42 pm
Location: Pride in the Desert

Postby Joegolf3 » Sat Nov 01, 2003 11:20 am

This is a man who will truly be missed by all. His manner and presence have always been what I admired about him. Goodbye my friend.
Joegolf3
Stablehand
 
Posts: 118
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Next

Return to In memory

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users