HURRICANE IVAN & THE BASH

Archive Forum for our Bashes.

HURRICANE IVAN & THE BASH

Postby Belle » Tue Sep 07, 2004 3:57 pm

Due to the fact that it is Hurricane season and Louisiana sits on the Gulf of Mexico, there will be a good chance your flights and travel plans will be interrupted by Hurricane Ivan, or any other hurricane that may pop up between now and then.

So...my suggestion to you is this, be on the alert. Watch the weather and follow this storm. Check with your airline and see what steps they will take regarding possible delays, refunds, cancellations. Also, be sure to check with the Louis Armstrong Airport in New Orleans closer to the bash for any changes in scheduling.

I will use this thread for updates to any information I receive.

Feel free to post questions but do not fill this with spam as I'm getting tired of sifting through meaningless posts to find information.

Forgive the tone, I've been subbing some VERY rotten children for the past 4 days.
Who is more irrational? A man who believes in a God he doesn't see, or a man who's offended by a God he doesn't believe in? ~Brad Stine

Jesus loves you but I'm His favorite.

User avatar
Belle
Unstable
 
Posts: 4834
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Portia » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:38 pm

Belle, I have a question?

Can we help out with those naughty kids? :twisted:

YES!! Yes you can. You can come and tie them all to totem poles as an offering to the passing gypsies, or Cajuns in need of free labor, whichever comes first.

Posted here so I wouldn't spam my own thread. :ppp
Portia - Hegemony Empress (Pink is the color of compromise)
Sexier than socks on a rooster
Telling Amaris who to kill since 1998
User avatar
Portia
Trouble
 
Posts: 3654
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Down in the Dirrty-Dirrty

Postby Draven » Wed Sep 08, 2004 7:08 pm

OK,... and thier worried about a little hurricane when a bunch of Evernighters are soming to New Orleans?!!!

I will follow your advice Belle, and check with the airlines etc!

Not sure if Im gonna make it,..
There seems to be some snafu with the money, and Im waiting to here from Decae on whats up.


~Crosses fingers~

I have to be able to show an itinerary to work by this friday, or I will not be given the time off.
Im in Love with Heavens Mom!
User avatar
Draven
Stablehand
 
Posts: 250
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Marion, Ohio, USA

Postby Bane2 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:51 am

*puts Draven in a headlock* you will go.. you are going to be there.. :-P I didn't donate money to get your ass there for you NOT to show up.. heh.


ehh, what's a little rain? it never hurt anyone.. ehh oh wait it kills people every year.. damn, yea hopefully it doesn't flood or I would have to say the bash would be off since then driving wouldn't be possible.
a Light burns deep within me, causing all around to see nothing but darkness.
User avatar
Bane2
Stablehand
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby SunSu » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:02 am

--Looks at what Bane said--

Umm, yeah.. I agree.

I hope whatever snafu there is gets straightened out.
I am proud to say that I know what 2+2 is. However, if you see my underwear, please let me know... I lost them last Tuesday.
User avatar
SunSu
Pickpocket
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Ostro » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:04 am

One of the things I want to do before I die is see a hurricane. I might just get that chance now.

*is more excited than he should be*

Recent tracking predicts that Ivan may take a semi-sharp right and go to... Florida... again another hurricane goes to Florida.

Granted it will be raining almost definitely while we're down there, I'm going to venture a guess and say we may just be getting the outside arms of the hurricane.
Ostro GoPF Forever!
"Wait, what game?"
User avatar
Ostro
Journeyman
 
Posts: 2856
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Dayton, Ohio

Postby Gem_Rathonl » Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:08 am

Ostro, you need help dude. A hurricane would be bad news for New Orleans.
Stabbity Stab.
User avatar
Gem_Rathonl
Squire
 
Posts: 3762
Joined: Wed May 14, 2003 9:29 pm
Location: Richardson, Tx

Postby Ostro » Thu Sep 09, 2004 4:17 am

I know, especially since it's now a Catergory 5... :?
Ostro GoPF Forever!
"Wait, what game?"
User avatar
Ostro
Journeyman
 
Posts: 2856
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Dayton, Ohio

Postby Belle » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:53 am

-sigh-

You people don't listen so good. :evil:

ME!! wrote:Feel free to post questions but do not fill this with spam as I'm getting tired of sifting through meaningless posts to find information.
Who is more irrational? A man who believes in a God he doesn't see, or a man who's offended by a God he doesn't believe in? ~Brad Stine

Jesus loves you but I'm His favorite.

User avatar
Belle
Unstable
 
Posts: 4834
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby shigee » Thu Sep 09, 2004 1:12 pm

As of now Ivan appears to be headed toward Florida as did Frances. Through all of Frances NOLA had not one drop of rain. Not to say we won't with Ivan, but it was not the weather that we all expected, so you guys might be fine. :) Of course we're still a few days off before Ivan's even supposed to hit, so it might turn and veer this way.

Ostro, I agree that hurricanes can be fun, and I've been through quite a few, but I've also seen people I know lose lotsa stuff and been harmed too, so be careful what you wish for.

[edit] I've also had a batch of brownies not survive because the hurricane killed power 1/2way through them cooking! Nothing worse than wasting a batch of brownies!
How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and the strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. - George Washington Carver
shigee
Stablehand
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Mon Jun 16, 2003 12:00 pm
Location: Stuck in Louisiana

Postby Bane2 » Fri Sep 10, 2004 3:25 am

*is glad he lives far enough off the coast to ever have to deal with the full force of a hurricane* :-P though I've felt the effects of the extra rain it causes, being as I almost wrecked my car cause the roads were covered in 5 inches of water.

but I guess the hurricane heading to Florida is good news for us.. :( but bad news for my relatives there and other people i know there... anyone heard from Lancelot/Tara/BaronG or any of those other Flordians??
a Light burns deep within me, causing all around to see nothing but darkness.
User avatar
Bane2
Stablehand
 
Posts: 357
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby SoulDemon » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:33 am

"Ostro, I agree that hurricanes can be fun, and I've been through quite a few, but I've also seen people I know lose lotsa stuff and been harmed too, so be careful what you wish for."

There is nothing fun about them. Go Volunteer at the Red Cross or a Shelter and see how much fun you have.

Jesus.
This user no longer exists.
SoulDemon
User no longer exists
 
Posts: 4882
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Decae » Fri Sep 10, 2004 8:37 am

That's just not true.

We all had fun being deluged in NO while we searched for an open restaurant.

But - guys, please keep this thread for information, not spamming.
I will reach lows beyond reproach for you.
User avatar
Decae
Admin
 
Posts: 4862
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:16 am

Postby SoulDemon » Fri Sep 10, 2004 9:02 am

Maybe I'm just cranky because I've actually had family displaced with extensive loss of property and belongings by one of those "Fun" hurricanes that I don't see the joy in it. But hey, whatever. Next time I talk to my uncle who lost his condo to Charley, I'll ask him how much fun he's having.
This user no longer exists.
SoulDemon
User no longer exists
 
Posts: 4882
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Decae » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:10 am

Oi don't me started with the obvious pros and cons of living in Florida. Hopefully your uncle is safe and had insurance.


_-------------------------------------------------------------------------_


http://www.boatus.com/hurricanes/hurric ... hetti2.asp

Current model image:

Image
I will reach lows beyond reproach for you.
User avatar
Decae
Admin
 
Posts: 4862
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:16 am

Postby SoulDemon » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:19 am

ROFL, so in otherwords its either goin up the coast, or up the coast ;p

Dec - Everyone I know down there that lost somethin has insurance, but its not the houses or the structure loss that upset me. You can rebuild a house -- in some instances you can't recreate the other items in the house that were lost or damaged, or in some cases looted. Everyone who lives in FL, especially on the coast knows that instead of snow storms and earthquakes - you get hurricanes and everything that comes with it. I just don't think it should be made fun of, or written off as some sort of playful experience that is totally harmless.

Just don't think Fun is the proper way to describe the experience. Either way, I'm sure as a collective group we'll find something to do that is fun - and safe if it threatens us. Heh, E7 by Candle light@
This user no longer exists.
SoulDemon
User no longer exists
 
Posts: 4882
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Belle » Sat Sep 11, 2004 8:26 pm

People, keep an eye out for this hurricane. It's moving to a forecasted hit on Mississippi/Alabama now. If it keeps this up there's a good chance it can come here.

BTW, here's the recent update....

37A 11/1800Z 18.0N/79.0W 145 180 WNW 8 921 Hrricn
38 11/2100Z 18.2N/79.3W 165 200 WNW 9 914 Hrricn
38A 12/0000Z 18.2N/79.7W 165 200 WNW 9 912 Hrricn


Also, this hurricane is ranked 3rd lowest pressure in mbs. The lower the pressure, the higher the surge. :shock:

So sorry, just after submitting this the pressure was reported at 910 mb. The strongest hurricane ever was at 905 mb. Right now, this one is now 2nd strongest in history.
Who is more irrational? A man who believes in a God he doesn't see, or a man who's offended by a God he doesn't believe in? ~Brad Stine

Jesus loves you but I'm His favorite.

User avatar
Belle
Unstable
 
Posts: 4834
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Belle » Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:48 pm

Ivan is still moving WNW, increased in speed to 10 mph. This storm has lost a little strength overnight and is now at 922 mb. Winds are at 150 mph, gusting at 180mph.

Projected path is growing slightly closer to the Louisiana boot tip.

38A 12/0000Z 18.2N/79.7W 165 200 WNW 9 912 Hrricn
39 12/0300Z 18.3N/80.0W 165 200 WNW 8 910 Hrricn
39A 12/0600Z 18.4N/80.4W 165 200 WNW 8 910 Hrricn
40 12/0900Z 18.6N/80.8W 155 190 WNW 9 918 Hrricn
40A 12/1200Z 18.8N/81.2W 155 190 WNW 9 919 Hrricn
41 12/1500Z 19.0N/81.5W 155 190 WNW 9 919 Hrricn
41A 12/1800Z 19.2N/82.1W 150 185 WNW 10 922 Hrricn
Who is more irrational? A man who believes in a God he doesn't see, or a man who's offended by a God he doesn't believe in? ~Brad Stine

Jesus loves you but I'm His favorite.

User avatar
Belle
Unstable
 
Posts: 4834
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby SunSu » Mon Sep 13, 2004 5:34 am

Ok, who's gone and invited Ivan to the Bash!?!?!?!?

It looks like he is coming.
I am proud to say that I know what 2+2 is. However, if you see my underwear, please let me know... I lost them last Tuesday.
User avatar
SunSu
Pickpocket
 
Posts: 1813
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Belle » Mon Sep 13, 2004 7:48 am

:evil:

People, you need to start calling your airlines now. It's supposed to make landfall Wednesday/Thursday-ish. Even if it doesn't hit Louisiana directly, there's an awesome chance the airports will be shut down because New Orleans is a freakin bowl that fills up FAST.
Who is more irrational? A man who believes in a God he doesn't see, or a man who's offended by a God he doesn't believe in? ~Brad Stine

Jesus loves you but I'm His favorite.

User avatar
Belle
Unstable
 
Posts: 4834
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Decae » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:33 am

Alright folks, this is the forecast I'm going on right now:

http://weather.mgnetwork.com/cgi-bin/weatherIMD3/weather.cgi?user=RTD&alt=hurricane&hwvTemplate=hurricane/storms/tracker.html&hwvStorm=WTNT44


If this is accurate, and we will know as of tomorrow night how close it is, the Bash will be officially cancelled. Encouraging you to travel during a Hurricane would be very irresponsible. That and it could turn out to be horribly expensive concerning lost flights, delays, hotel layovers, etc.

At this time the Bash is not canceled. We will be monitoring the situation though. New Orleans is low level and is very susceptible to Hurricane damage. When we were there last time just the pre-hurricane damage was nasty and shut down the airport, flood the streets, and pretty much ruined Sunday afternoon/evening completely.

I understand you've all made investments into the Bash (both time and money) and we will attempt to refund as much as possible if this were to come to pass. We've paid a number of up-front fees, so the refund will not be 100% (or even near).

If you still want to fly to New Orleans, if the bash is canceled, more power to you - be safe though.
I will reach lows beyond reproach for you.
User avatar
Decae
Admin
 
Posts: 4862
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2002 6:16 am

Postby SoulDemon » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:36 am

Heh this is kind of a catch 22 for me. If it turns east, its going right over the parents place again. If it stays on course or turns west, 99% chance flight will be cancelled or diverted.

Gotta love it ;x

Airlines are sayin' everything is a go right now. But we'll see in the next couple days.
This user no longer exists.
SoulDemon
User no longer exists
 
Posts: 4882
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Belle » Mon Sep 13, 2004 8:42 am

IT'S A TWISTER!! IT'S A TWISTER!!! AUNTIE EM!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist..

Called the hotel. I'm waiting on the Hotel Lady â„¢ to call me back before I can give any info on refunds.

Like Decae said, look alive people. Check with airlines and even call the NOLA airport to be safe. I'm going to deal with hotel stuff. You take care of travel plans.
Who is more irrational? A man who believes in a God he doesn't see, or a man who's offended by a God he doesn't believe in? ~Brad Stine

Jesus loves you but I'm His favorite.

User avatar
Belle
Unstable
 
Posts: 4834
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Grunt » Mon Sep 13, 2004 9:27 am

as it stands Ivan making a beeline for Grunt
a 5 scares me
been through 4s and they were no fun
depends on path and damage done as to whether grunt parties or cleans up
killing a chicken and beginning the voodoo ritual now
Random acts of kindness will save the world
A Few Tend the Tree of Freedom so Many can Live in its Shade
To send men to the firing squad judicial proof is unnecessary Che Guevara
Doing the right thing is seldom popular and never easy
User avatar
Grunt
Upper Royalty
 
Posts: 10189
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Shalimar

Postby Ladyaria » Mon Sep 13, 2004 10:25 am

Watching weather forecasts closely.
So far my flights haven't been cancelled.

By Tues night/weds am, I'm sure there'll be a better picture of where it's going to land.
Maybe it will continue west & completely miss.
If we are really lucky maybe we won't have to cancel.

Everyone's safety is most important so just have to watch and wait.
Trying to stay positive and hope for the best at this point.
GM of DoC

Team AWESOME!!
User avatar
Ladyaria
Pickpocket
 
Posts: 1345
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Beaver, PA

Next

Return to Bash Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron