by Corinthyalas » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:36 am
It was typical. Aranors reaction to her little announcement that she was going to be staying in Lorelei, had been just what she expected it to be. Full of minor well placed subtle insults, put downs and above else, it was one long attempt at trying to guilt her. That was what they all did, her father, Losa, Aranor, all of the men she was surrounded with always resorted to guilt trips and sudden surprise knowings of the goings on at home or elsewhere that they would use in their arsenal when they were trying to bully the women around them into giving in. This was something that Cori learned early on from watching everyone in her world and it took everything she had not to laugh in his face. He talked of her acting like a child, how did he think he looked saying what he did? Desperate and childish. She watched him leave without so much as saying goodbye, that was all right, she'd be seeing him soon enough anyway, just like she would be seeing her parents, her brothers and Payne. So she was going to stay in Lorelei for a little while, that didn't mean she was becoming a hermit and it didn't mean that she was completely letting go of everyone and everything that she loved. She felt Gailins gaze on her and she turned to him with a crooked smile.
I do apologize for what you've seen here, you have welcomed me and my kin into your lands and for this to happen as it did... was rude.
Gailin smiled back at her but there was a sadness behind his eyes that made her curious.
There is no need to apologize, we have all had to handle our transitions in our own way, I am only sorry that those in the world of mortal men, are having such difficulty understanding. From what I have been able to observe, you are intelligent and think like both of the women you call mother, and you have your fathers strong will. Combine those two elements with your Mother Raynalias' spirit and how could anyone think you would be shall we say... calmly handled ready to obey every order handed down to you. You do need to tread carefully though Corinthyalas, your mothers spirit and sharp mind have also been dangerous to her. Tell me something my lady, my brother Gaius... has he told you anything of home? Do you know why he is in Firyon? The answer is simple, our parents, long ago, tried to dictate the paths we would take... and Gaius... would have none of it, he too felt trapped and he too left home, for Firyon, and now he comes to Lorelei when he wishes to, he has not shut out his family, and I suspect that you have already made the same choice. To be your own being, but still hold them all close. I hope that your family will be understanding and see that you have not abandoned them, but something tells me this will not be the case.
Cori understood what he was saying and she appreciated his words, to be so understood by a virtual stranger but not by the people who claimed to love her, was close to being sickening. He was right, she wasn't abandoning her family, she was just doing what was best for her at that point in her life, but none of them were going to understand, no she couldn't say that. Her Ma would, Mama Rayne would, Kiara would, but the men? No. There just was no way. When she thought of the men one was front and center in her thoughts. Payne. She needed to talk to him, to really be able to talk to him, to share her thoughts, her secrets, her hopes and fears without having to be guarded with all that she said because someone in her family was always near by.
You are right Gailin I am not abandoning them and you are also right that it won't be seen that way, but they will have to make peace with who I am. I do have some matters to see to Gailin, and I do thank you for allowing me to stay here.
As soon as the elf took his leave Cori was off running through the shadows, thinking that she was going to end up giving Payne a heart attack before the night was over. She reached her destination and she was right when she thought she was going to scare him half to death. She came out of the shadows right on the balcony of his room and she opened one side of the glass double doors then peeked her head inside. Thank gods he was dressed, and he was pacing. Pacing was never a good thing. She sat down in the archway of the doors not stepping a toe into his room because one she hadn't been invited in and two if they were by some chance seen no one was going to start accusing Payne of anything.
Before you say a word your Majesty... I did not run away, I merely changed where I will call my place of residence, that does not mean that I have given up on anyone or anything, it only means that I am taking my life into my own hands as is only right. I am a good person, with morals and values, and a good mind that I use everyday, I do not lack common sense and I hold myself to a higher standard. No one wants to see that or believe that and now they do not have to. I am not bailing on my commitments to the Elite, I will still see my training through, unless I decide that it no longer suits me much like my Ma did, but once my days are my own, when I am not training I will be in Lorelei. My family can come visit me anytime they wish to.... and I would like it very much if you would visit to. This is my Independence Day Payne, but that does not mean I am going to turn into some crazed heifer that tromps all over making all the wrong choices. And just so we are clear... despite what Aranor thinks... I do not need to live in Pallia to know that I love you and I will always respect your position as King and behave the way a proper lady should so I do not ever cause you any embarrassment.
She stood up brushing the snow from her pants.
Is this the part where you tell me you don't want me to go with you to the ball tomorrow night beause you talked to Aranor and he's twisted everything around so much that it's all a big mess now? I'm not saying you did talk to Aranor I'm just asking...