Buildrate in Unity [Revote - Poll reset when I added to it]

- OOC & RP Forum for the guilded Unity game

Moderators: Voice Stone, Voice Kma

What BRT should Unity use?

[Crawl] Make it even slower than it is now.
2
4%
[Slow] Keep the current Unity BRT as it is.
9
20%
[Medium] Return to the same BRT as Solo, LQS and Massacre
9
20%
[FastStart] Something similar to the old BRT, but with a quicker start.
4
9%
[Mega] Something even faster than the old BRT.
4
9%
[Variable] BRT Slows as realm size increases
18
39%
 
Total votes : 46

Buildrate in Unity [Revote - Poll reset when I added to it]

Postby Kaz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:37 am

As you are all aware, Unity has a different Buildrate than all of the other games.

This was put in place originally to reduce the size of realms.

Link has suggested that the BRT be restored to previous values. I was wondering what the average view was rearding this.

These are the current BRT's in play.

Unity BRT
4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

Standard BRT
4, 6, 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30

I have put up a poll to see what you guys actually prefer. I have also enabled the 'revoting' option incase somebody makes an arguement that changes your opinion.

[EDIT]
Have added a Variable BRT option following Geothe's suggestion.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.
TEN, TMP, Peace, Fervent, LA, sLAinte
Table Warfare Miniatures
User avatar
Kaz
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia

Re: Buildrate in Unity

Postby Gili » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:44 am

I'm not sure if its a product of other changes in game. But from my point of view the less built realms means more chance to be able to beat on people who are ahead. Of course it could be argued that you can build faster from the lower sizes in the past.

But personally other than the relative ease ( especially the last couple of ages ) to scum/sorc kill people...I like the game pretty much how it is.

I've voted for 'as is'...but am open to be converted :)
Christianity: One woman's lie about having an affair that got seriously out of hand.
User avatar
Gili
Developer
 
Posts: 4561
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Numpton, England

Re: Buildrate in Unity

Postby Maverick » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:19 pm

What is the solo, lqs, build rate?

Is that the one you listed, or is it another one?
I saw my advantage and I took it,
Thats what heroes do.
I <3 Venus. Join the Club!
User avatar
Maverick
Knight
 
Posts: 5428
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Re: Buildrate in Unity

Postby Kaz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:26 pm

Its the original BRT Mav (4,6,8,10,12..etc)

It's only Unity that changed.
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.
TEN, TMP, Peace, Fervent, LA, sLAinte
Table Warfare Miniatures
User avatar
Kaz
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia

Re: Buildrate in Unity

Postby Maverick » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:29 pm

Thanks just wanted to make sure I was interpreting it correctly.
I saw my advantage and I took it,
Thats what heroes do.
I <3 Venus. Join the Club!
User avatar
Maverick
Knight
 
Posts: 5428
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Re: Buildrate in Unity

Postby Kwaiq » Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:53 pm

I think its fine how its is.
Anti-Hero | Your favorite players favorite player
C o m b r i c c o l a ... The original one man band.
User avatar
Kwaiq
Squire
 
Posts: 3722
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Buildrate in Unity

Postby Geothe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:04 pm

I dont know if it would be a huge pain in the ass.
But I would like to see a higher buildrate for smaller realms and keep the slower one on bigger realms.
(ie, my interpretation of your "Faststart" voting option)

Reason:
A) Allows those hit down during the age to get build back up faster.
B) Keeps the bigger ones building "slower" so they dont outdistance everyone else drastically.

Do something like.
If under 12k acres, use the old/faster build rate.
If over 12k acres, use the new/slower build rate.

So yes, someones buildrate will plummet if they go from 11,999 to 12,001 acres, and that will take a bit of getting used to, but I think the higher BR for smaller kingdoms willl really help bring them back up faster.
Fervent, ALWAYS
Yes, we are that damn good!
Our Game, Our Rules
Venus, the Embodiment of Human Perfection!
User avatar
Geothe
Journeyman
 
Posts: 2617
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Re: Buildrate in Unity

Postby Shifty » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:08 pm

It's a catch 22 really. The way the game has changed, the population etc... a slower build rate may benefit everyone. However, if you get too far behind it would make it impossible to catch up.

I think I am in favor of a slower build rate though.
Last edited by Anonymous on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Shifty
Peasant
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Re: Buildrate in Unity

Postby owly » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:09 pm

geothe has a good idea i like it....

Mainly because i get hit down a lot they know i'm active so i get pounded everytime lol. I'd love to see small realms with a faster build rate and the bigger realms with a slower build rate...
Lone NUT
Anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of Robo-Cop
If you think I don't make sense think about the evidence that Big Foot is my Papa and he got to protect ME!

DoC... Trench Town Rock... Soul Rebal...Kaya.....Thank you lord
User avatar
owly
Master Knight
 
Posts: 6022
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: I'm In Your Frige Stealing Your Food!!!

Re: Buildrate in Unity

Postby Reylan Talonspyre » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:16 pm

I voted for Fast.

Quicker build rates means faster build times, in essence, more wars.
I still think I would make a great pope.
Portia-Reylan Hegemony
User avatar
Reylan Talonspyre
Sticky Fingers
 
Posts: 9912
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Gatekeepers

Re: Buildrate in Unity

Postby Kaz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:52 pm

Something like this geothe?

0-8k acre
4, 8, 12, 15, 18, 20, 22, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36

8-16k acre
4, 6, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25

16k+ acre
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.
TEN, TMP, Peace, Fervent, LA, sLAinte
Table Warfare Miniatures
User avatar
Kaz
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia

Re: Buildrate in Unity

Postby Kaz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:56 pm

Bah!

If you add to the poll is wipes the results :(

Sorry guys
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.
TEN, TMP, Peace, Fervent, LA, sLAinte
Table Warfare Miniatures
User avatar
Kaz
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia

Re: Buildrate in Unity [Revote - Poll reset when I added to it]

Postby Shifty » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:10 pm

I guess if we start looking at this idea we need to debate whether we are all interesting in winning this game or just playing it.

If we make adjustments like Goethe suggests, it will make it a lot harder to stay on top, a position that I do not envy anyone btw, stuck where you cannot make a first strike or people will complain, you wait for imminent death and destruction. Now, on top of all that, you cannot even stay ahead by building up anymore?

I dunno...
User avatar
Shifty
Peasant
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Re: Buildrate in Unity [Revote - Poll reset when I added to it]

Postby Kwaiq » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:14 pm

I think Goethes variable BPT encourages a more Goblins style play, why spend all those turns building a large kingdom when it can get destroyed faster and more often by someone who takes the game less seriously. Not only will you build slower but you'll have to use more turns keeping down those below you. As it is your BPT goes down as you grow anyways. By this new system if you're a 15k kingdom and you take 10k land, you're BPT will drop dramatically, from both the extra land and the lowered scale. I don't think we need a double deterrent for gaining land.

It discourages growth, and gives more power to the guilds with the most members, and it give more power to sorc, which in my opinion is a bit over powered as is.
Anti-Hero | Your favorite players favorite player
C o m b r i c c o l a ... The original one man band.
User avatar
Kwaiq
Squire
 
Posts: 3722
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Buildrate in Unity [Revote - Poll reset when I added to it]

Postby Reylan Talonspyre » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:15 pm

Shifty makes a great point. Though I will say, once on top, it should become more political choices rather than simple number crunching that will make wars OK. Some of the best and worst moments of this game (and where great GMs are truly born) is holding the top position. Getting there is fine and dandy, but holding that position is the most difficult thing a guild can do. It tests everything you have already.

I remember Sanguine Fate ~SF~ holding it in Mo'Pri/Improv for a long ass time. It was so hard for them to hit down from their position, they had to invent new decrees to ensure they could still gain a little land. Scout them, they will hit you. That sort of thing.

I suggest that portion of the game stays the same, otherwise, why even care if you get up top, if it is going to suck even more than it does already.

It discourages growth, and gives more power to the guilds with the most members, and it give more power to sorc, which in my opinion is a bit over powered as is.


I agree with Kwaiq as well.
I still think I would make a great pope.
Portia-Reylan Hegemony
User avatar
Reylan Talonspyre
Sticky Fingers
 
Posts: 9912
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Gatekeepers

Re: Buildrate in Unity [Revote - Poll reset when I added to it]

Postby Geothe » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:19 pm

I wouldnt go -that- extreme kaz.

Low Acres:
4,6,8,10,12,14,16,18,20,22,24,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34

Higher Acres:
4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23

With the switch point being somewhere in the 10-15k acre range (probably closer to 10k than to 15k)

Its not a HUGE difference but enough for a nice boost for lower realms.
ie, at 40% quarries a smaller realm with have a BR of 20 instead of 12, which is a nice 67% buildrate increase.
Fervent, ALWAYS
Yes, we are that damn good!
Our Game, Our Rules
Venus, the Embodiment of Human Perfection!
User avatar
Geothe
Journeyman
 
Posts: 2617
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Re: Buildrate in Unity [Revote - Poll reset when I added to it]

Postby Kaz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:30 pm

Maybe that was a bit extreme, I still personally like the 3 tiers though. Have indicated the 30% and 40% areas that people tend to aim for with their quarries.

0-10k acre [Old BRT]
4, 6, 8, 10, 12, [14], 16, [18], 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30
Up to war number 1, and after being battered you get to play at the BRT in use in the other games.

10-30k acre [Unity BRT]
4, 6, 8, 9, 10, [11], 12, [13], 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25
Once war 1 is over, you drop down to the current Unity BRT

30k+ acre [Slow BRT]
4, 5, 6, 7, 8, [9], 10, [11], 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23
If you manage to stay alive for a couple of wars you drop to the slow BRT
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.
TEN, TMP, Peace, Fervent, LA, sLAinte
Table Warfare Miniatures
User avatar
Kaz
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia

Re: Buildrate in Unity [Revote - Poll reset when I added to it]

Postby Kwaiq » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:32 pm

I did change my vote to 'medium' actually, as it does seem to be taking people a bit too long to build back to hitting strength, people get impatient and the lower guilds just keep beating the crap out of each other or hitting the top guilds before they're really ready to. Thus leaving the gap in the ranks we see today and setting up for a long boring build session for those who do the best the first 2-4 weeks of the game.

So i agree in essence with Geothe that smaller kingodoms shoudl have an increase build advantage over what they have now, i just don't necessarily agree with that much of a boost. I think switching back to the old scale should work just fine to rectify any perceived imbalanced. After all it worked for years.
Anti-Hero | Your favorite players favorite player
C o m b r i c c o l a ... The original one man band.
User avatar
Kwaiq
Squire
 
Posts: 3722
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Buildrate in Unity [Revote - Poll reset when I added to it]

Postby Dauthi » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:43 pm

I like the idea of a three tier build rate, but I also see a problem with it. At the current rate of land taking for every 100 acres of land you take you get 1 acre of it built, If that was increased to say 5 acres of it built, that would be LESS building a kingdom woul dhave to do that help offset some of the drop in buildrate it would lose from taking all that open land.

Personally I think the idea of building a huge kingdom is pointless since this is a WAR game not a sim city game, so take my opinion as it is.
Leader of Goblins ~ Start of the new trend.
"Didina wike dat beebee!!" - Belle's little one.
Fervent. - Yeah weird huh?
"<venus> who else was i doing..dauthi? and thantos right"
User avatar
Dauthi
Journeyman
 
Posts: 2274
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Home

Re: Buildrate in Unity [Revote - Poll reset when I added to it]

Postby Kaz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Coming to think on it,

It does make sense to initially have the same BRT as the other games. It means that people who start off playing Solo or Massacre are able to jump straight into Unity and know their initial build strategy, without having to relearn the game.

A complete reversion back to the old way will just ensure a return of everyone having huge realms again. So the changing to the Unity BRT (which has been working) after a certain acarage has been reached, should give the best of both worlds.

I'm not sure how the third tier would affect things, but as a few people had called for super slow BRT I added it :)
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.
TEN, TMP, Peace, Fervent, LA, sLAinte
Table Warfare Miniatures
User avatar
Kaz
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia

Re: Buildrate in Unity [Revote - Poll reset when I added to it]

Postby Kwaiq » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:50 pm

i think we're forgetting that the land we take is empty which means if you start off with 15k acres with 40% quarries, and go to war and take 15k more, then you're up a tier and cut your percentage in half.

So you're left with 20% quarries on 30k acres and your build rate went from 13 to 6, just because you were successful in war.


based on that scale Kaz, to get a build rate of 11 at 31k acres, you'll need 12k quarries, thats just not practical. I would downsize land and sorc kill, because it would be a more effective use of turns. Building wouldn't make sense.
Anti-Hero | Your favorite players favorite player
C o m b r i c c o l a ... The original one man band.
User avatar
Kwaiq
Squire
 
Posts: 3722
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Buildrate in Unity [Revote - Poll reset when I added to it]

Postby Tnemnethgilne » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:55 pm

Could I suggest, a constant build rate based on a % of your kingdom size? Mills would lower the cost of building.

Bigger kingdoms would pay much more per turn(because they build more), and smaller kd would pay much less.

10% mills would lower costs by 20%,
20% by 30%
30 by 45%
40% by 60%
50& by 75%
Tnemnethgilne
Stablehand
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:47 am

Re: Buildrate in Unity [Revote - Poll reset when I added to it]

Postby Shifty » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:54 pm

Kwaiq, I was going to blurt all that out as well but I think we're gonna lose this fight and I wanted to keep that strategy to myself lol
User avatar
Shifty
Peasant
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Re: Buildrate in Unity [Revote - Poll reset when I added to it]

Postby Kaz » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:59 pm

Kwaiq,

In the old days if you had a 15k realm with 40% quarries, and doubled your land, you would have dropped from 18BRT to 10BRT (-8).

Currently with BRT as it is, the same war example would see you drop from 13BRT to 9BRT (-4). This suggestion would see a drop from 13BRT to 7BRT (-6), and you could easily downsize 1 acre to put you back in the middle zone, and jump to 9BRT.

Prior to me accidentally resetting the votes, people were wanting to keep BRT as it is, rather than return to the old ways, and the Unity BRT and +30k acres slow BRT are not really all that different.

The main difference would be when you cross the 10k threshold and drop suddenly from 18BRT to 13BRT after a tithe, rather than issues crossing the 30k threshold after taking land.

There is also a suggestion to increase the amount of built land taken when you take land. That suggestion was made in the old and new suggestions threads, and I like it, so would most impliment it at the same time as any BRT change (neither would occur mid-age).

Tnemnethgilne,

I dont like the idea of a constant BRT. However, changing the per-structure-per-turn cash cost may be worth considering. Although, it would work in the opposite to your suggestion, as the bigger realms would have more quarries and more quarries would mean cheaper gold costs.

Shifty,

I wouldnt worry too much anyway. When the 7 people that voted for 'keep it how it is' revote this discussion will drop to 2nd place anyway lol
Programming is 10% science, 25% ingenuity and 65% getting the ingenuity to work with the science.
TEN, TMP, Peace, Fervent, LA, sLAinte
Table Warfare Miniatures
User avatar
Kaz
Retired Admin
 
Posts: 3874
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: The Vinyards of Fernabergia

Re: Buildrate in Unity [Revote - Poll reset when I added to it]

Postby Shifty » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:59 pm

I will say, once on top, it should become more political choices rather than simple number crunching that will make wars OK.


I see the politcal intrigue in this game as a major problem to be honest. I think a lot of people are getting tired of it.

If we varied BRT from age to age, it would keep things interesting as well. Maybe have one age where after X amount of acres, say 20k, (but it could even be as low as 5k, imagine THAT) your BRT drops to 1 and cannot go higher. Imagine the strat you would need to use there...
User avatar
Shifty
Peasant
 
Posts: 651
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Next

Return to Unity

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users