Freedoms Lance (FL)

- A place to put out a roll call for a long lost guild, and for long lost members to catch up.

Moderator: Voice Stone

Freedoms Lance (FL)

Postby Pistol » Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:42 am

Thought I may as well add this guild to the list as I was in it for a few ages. The guild was basically a LoF spin off which was mainly based as an oleana guild (maybe was a different faith for a short time? Lak will probably correct me on that). Anyway was a fun guild to be in and a good laugh all round really. Know a few of you peeps are still about, but think most have left the game.
"I contend that we are the finest race in the world and that the more of the world we inhabit the better it is for the human race" Taken from the Will of John Cecil Rhodes. If only his dreams had come true.
User avatar
Pistol
Peasant
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Wigan - England

Postby Lak » Sat Mar 18, 2006 3:13 am

FL was oleana yes... we moved from LoF being Leto to FL... and then Jacob brought LoF to Oleana to be with us anyway...

Hrmmm trying to think then... basically though I think that was when we moved to the new Gods again and things are now confusing for that far back...

I remember when Killie was writing the charter for FL.... was very good time... I miss it...
~LoF~ * ~FL~ * ~AoA~
"Fractions of fear make shadows of nothing."
~I look to my Eskimo Friend
When I'm down, down, down...~
User avatar
Lak
Mad but cute
 
Posts: 5893
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Falkirk, Scotland, UK

Postby Vesperan » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:07 am

A few ages eh Pistol? A slight understatement if I ever heard one, I think the term you were looking for is years.

I remember Freedom's Lance.

During the time of Olandar's rule peace had covered the world. However, even in those days wars would still erupt amongst the people. So during those days, Olandar created an object from his power. This object was a Lance, which glowed an unearthly green in the light of the moonlight. Casting it down from the heavens, it fell to a small village near the Rillana Ocean.

People were pulled towards the object from all over the area and soon a crowd of several thousand stared at it in a lifeless gaze. It lasted only a few minutes but the Lance began to pulse and the voice of Olandar and a compulsion passed over everyone there.

"My children, it is to you that I will pass on a mission. Over this World my children war with each other, the attacks on so many peaceful people has begun to finally hurt. Therefore I charge you with finding those who would dare to attack the innocent, we shall fight their aggression with that of ourselves. It is your job to provide people with the freedom to live in peace without the chance of attack."

It was all over in a few seconds, the words had been imprinted on the minds of everyone there. For several minutes no one moved, then one brave man moved over and lifted the lance. This was the creation of the first Lancer and the group of fighters named Freedom's Lance.

The years passed and across the world Freedom's Lance defended all who needed it. They soon became a name associated with honour and hope for a better future. Peace truly was felt across the worlds during those years that they were around.

However, with the death of Olandar the Lance fell silent to all it had once called on. The words stopped and the people who had followed soon lost hope and belief. The great Lance was cast aside as the people went out to follow one of the younger Gods. Chaos returned the world and many fell in the bloody battles between the people of each God, it was said that a wailing could be still be heard from the Lance.

------------

Millennia had passed before the arrival of Oleana the Mother of Earth. On that day when she rose to join the Gods, deep in a basement a slight pulsing glow began to light the darkness. The Lance awakened from its nightmare began trying to send out a message that had once flowed across the world.

It was months later when a man hurt by his God and saved by Oleana stumbled across the ancient object. He had been trying to understand what his life now truly held for him. The words of the Lance quickly sunk deep into his mind, probing around his mind trying to compel him to listen and follow as had happened so long ago.

The man named Killie had been a follower of Leto and a GM of the great guild League of Fear but that very day the man stepped down from all position in the guild and denounced his God. In a rage Leto himself tried to punish the man, but Oleana again saved him for she herself had heard the words and understood it completely.

With a few of his friends who had heard the call of the Lance with him, he began to construct a new guild. It was hard work but Freedom’s Lance was soon reborn to fight for the freedom of the many followers of Oleana to live in peace.

------------

Once again, the years and ages passed, and all was well. But as always, the people became complacent and Killie became restless. He needed a new challenge, he had given peace and tranquility to the lands, and felt that there was no place for him anymore. But Killie needed one thing even more than a new challenge. He needed love.

His closest friend and ally, Fatbloke, had been taking over more and more of the guilds responsibilities during this time, as Killie began to lose interest in the world around him. He was missing for weeks at a time looking for a challenge, for a companion, but he always came back cold and withdrawn, moreso with each trip away.

------------

"Everyday I go to his chambers and tell him of what I have done hoping that something, anything wil arouse his interest. Nothing ever has. He got back yesterday from a foray into the mountains alone. He was thin, unshaven, and a wreck of his former self. Not wanting to alarm the guild to his demise, I had the servants bundle him up to his rooms without anyone seeing.

"On the day it happened I had gone down to him as usual and entered his bedroom, although he was nowhere to be seen. I called his name a few times and got no answer. Moving towards the bathroom, I knocked, got no reply and entered anyway. What I saw was to haunt me for the rest of my life. Blood all over the floor and the walls. The bath full of blood and Killie, dead, in the bath, a smile on his face. The man was finally free."

-Extract from the Diaries of Fatbloke

------------

With the death of Killie, Fatbloke was officially made the Lancer. There was no opposition to his ascention, as he had been more or less leading the guild for a while now. He hoped he was not overshadowed by the legend of Killie.

After a while leading the guild, Fatbloke realised he had so many other appointments and such that he could not do it on his own anymore, as did Killie before him. He appointed a promising young AGM, Vesperan to be his helper, and as time went by, he became more and more dependent on Vesperan, until the day came when he decided to call Vesperan into his office.

------------

"Vesperan, you have continually shown your loyalty to the lance and to it's followers, and I feel that I cannot serve them in the way I used to. I am passing the Lance to you... not permanently, but I feel that at the moment, I have things to get on with that are being burdened by this office, and you no longer need me here all the time. Of course, if you need any decisions making, I'll still be around" With which he got out of his chair and proffered it to Vesperan "There you are - don't be shy, see how it fits. You'll be making some important decisions from there you know..... but whatever happens, remember the sacred rules on which this guild was built"


That was written after GM'ing went from Killie, to Fatbloke, to myself. I will admit to struggling to GM - its fricken hard to order people around when half the guild is +12 hour time difference from you.

I rewrote it slightly at one point to read.. although it is short of commas at times.

"Vesperan, you have continually shown your loyalty to the lance and to it's followers, and I feel that I cannot serve them in the way I used to. I am passing the Lance to you... for I must leave. There is something I must do, something I must find, for I know it will bring to me the peace and knowledge that Killie so desperately sought, the same peace I myself now seek. I will be away now, remember the sacred rules on which this guild was built and keep Oleana in your heart... dont look sad, one day I shall be back... until that day however you are The Lancer."

And so it was that Vesperan took over the mantle of leadership from Fatbloke - just as he had taken it from Killie. The loss of the two that had been great figures to him was saddening, yet he knew that somewhere their thoughts were with him and that Oleana would guard them. This knowledge comforted him and gave him the hope that one day they would meet again. Meanwhile however, Vesperan would lead the guild in their name and together the people of the Lance would bring freedom to all.


It was at that point that the Shareplay incident occurred, and Monarchy (and Oleana with it) folded up. When Evernight arrived, in guilds I joined Ashrum (the old TDoD GM who we fought time and time again in Monarchy) as part of the Eolian Rush. After several months Pistol approached myself to start Freedom's Lance again, although I admit to some hesitation. At this point the Evernight prophets had been phased out, and we entered the time of the 'new' Gods. In the charter however I attempted to tie Oleana in, and emphasise the importance of Pistol (and portray myself as a minor character who was really passing on the reigns if anything). After an unknown number of ages myself and Pistol gave up GMing to Taff and Fireslash. Possibly not a good idea with Fireslash, but I just wanted to stop GMing! This event I appended to the charter as well.

Long is the story of Pistol, Warrior of Isonia, yet here it must be told in brief, and only the end of it. Suffice to say his body was strong, his mind true, yet his heart troubled. Under many Lords and banners did he serve, yet never was contentment to be his; and so it came to be that he travelled all of creation alone, searching for peace in his heart. For nothing it seemed could help him, for strong in his blood was the call for freedom; not only for himself, but also for all those around him - and wherever he traveled, oppression and fanaticism was found.

Thus Pistol was near despairing one winter morn, as his aimless wandering led him into the hills of Tael'uin, a land he knew little about and cared even less for. Few people lived there, preferring the lush grasslands to the west - and thus meeting Vesperan of the Romany Rush caused him surprise. 'Friend!' he cried, 'by what happy fortune brings us together? Long has it been since any I would call friend been seen, and though I only know you through song and deed, you are as familiar as brother to me!'

A silence came between them then, until words softly spoken in return came, words measured and thoughtful. 'Fortune it is not, but rather the will of the Goddess, for it is she who hath told me to greet thee, and bade thee now to join my company.' Vesperan then turned and led him away into the hills and for many days they traveled, leaving Pistol's curiosity unanswered and suspicion aroused. Finally came an entranceway, leading into cavernous halls buried under the hills. Tan Tael'uin in the local speech they were called, and the darkness in them was complete, save for a narrow shaft of light sent from the heavens; of its source - none could be found.

There, in the light, Vesperan told Pistol of the people of the lance, those who had strove for freedom so long ago, and now only lived on in the abandoned land of Tael'uin. There also he named Pistol the Lancer, leader of the people of the Lance, for in him was the blood of past Lancers long ago. Suspicion arose however, and Pistol refused the title and denied the history, claiming that to be free, one must be unfettered.

Then it was that the Lance of Freedom, the ancient artifact thought long lost, was shown to Pistol under the suns light, in the caverns of Tan Tael'uin. There it was that he held it high and felt the truth, in his mind, in his heart. He thrust it skyward; and as it rose, a light rose within it until it matched the glory of the light above. The light within grew greater still however, illuminating the caverns, and showing for the first time in millennia the life and beauty that had been hidden by the darkness - for the walls were carved with beautiful images of the Goddess, of life, and of many wondrous sights to behold.

'Isonia' Pistol whispered, 'May we be like the lance, revealing the life and beauty that is hidden from us now, may the strength and beauty within us match that outside of us - and thus let us bring freedom and peace to all.' and then the lance glowed stronger, purer.

The lance glowed, and the spirits of those who followed it shone ever brighter because of it. Where they fought, honour and justice could oft be found, where they fell - songs of bravery and courage, the songs of heroes. New Lords clamoured to replace those who had fallen, and in the never ending conflict of Tonan, they brought further hope to the cause of the Goddess. Among these Lords was Fireslash, a young, courageous, general who had once led the fighters of the Wolf Pack, and had recently brought himself under the banner of the lance. It was to him and Taff, a wisened warrior of the People, that Vesperan and Pistol first approached with their grave news.

The wars had been long and many; and although hope was strong in their hearts, no longer could they allow themselves to be the Lancers. The strain of continual war, continual struggle, proved too much, and they relinquished their leadership of the people of the lance. To Fireslash and Taff did their burden now rest, and it was given in the hope that courage tempered by wisdom would be more effective than either alone. And so it was that Fireslash and Taff took the Oaths of the Lancer together in the halls of Tan Tael'uin, in front of the Lance of Freedom, the beacon of hope. They stepped forth that day to lead the People of Lance in their struggle for peace, stepped forth into a world of war and death - not through any yearning of their own, but because it was right.

Two stepped forth, and two withdrew.

Pistol fights on under the banner of the Lance still, his name both loved and feared in all reaches of the world. Under him is no command, yet he is one of the greatest of the warriors, and so he is both strong - and free. Of Vesperan little is known, some saying he has left Tonan, others that he wanders it still. What is known however, is that he found his peace with the Goddess when Fireslash and Taff swore the Oaths, he found his peace - and moved on.

The lance glows, and the spirits of those who follow it shine ever brighter because of it. They are but a single people, but legend tells of the battles and victory that will be brought because of them, and of how they will be greater than any before. Many have fallen, but more will rise, and from among them legend tells of a man, who will rise up and stoke the flame of freedom. It is told that he will lead the People of the Lance back into the world, and the battles and victory he will bring to them will be greater than any before. And so it is told that ultimate victory will finally come to be.

Now is that time.

Now is the time of the Lance.


I am unsure how many people ever read the charters, but I was always particularly fond of that final one. It captured not only a story of a guild (a people), but my own story and feelings about the game.

After that point came the events that drove me from Evernight to lurking (if that). Namely, the rise of Foret and the people who, in my opinion, ruined the game through arrogance and underhanded tactics. In short, people who play for a single reason only: to win. I don't believe we ever did that. Burnt out, I left the guild entirely. I joined Stee Jans in The Free Corps under a pseudonym for a few weeks, then left the game entirely, except for some lurking in the forums. That is my story.

I also have a bunch of archived banners from the end of 2001, and some old RP threads for Freedom's Lodge should anyone be interested.

I always enjoyed the guild, except until the very end. Good times anyway.
Neither individuals nor corporations have any right to come into court and ask that the clock of history be stopped, or turned back.
User avatar
Vesperan
Peasant
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: New Zealand

Postby Lak » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:59 pm

Makes me sentimental... I have some old threads from the Lodge... but Ill be contacting you to see which ones you have Vespy... because I'd be interested in getting my hands on them...
~LoF~ * ~FL~ * ~AoA~
"Fractions of fear make shadows of nothing."
~I look to my Eskimo Friend
When I'm down, down, down...~
User avatar
Lak
Mad but cute
 
Posts: 5893
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Falkirk, Scotland, UK

Postby Pistol » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:50 pm

LoL aye years it was vesp, and good years at that. I really did enjoy my time with FL, both as a grunt, squad leader, agm and of course co-gm.

I agree with the fact that the wanting to win was never our primary motive, but was just to have fun and a laugh. I remember we didnt get on with TLS... seemed to be war after war or should that be gang bang after gang bang?

When Firelash took over it did get a bit strange got us in so much trouble it was untrue - always having to back out of corners and the like. His heart was in the right place, just tended to act first think later.
"I contend that we are the finest race in the world and that the more of the world we inhabit the better it is for the human race" Taken from the Will of John Cecil Rhodes. If only his dreams had come true.
User avatar
Pistol
Peasant
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Wigan - England

Postby iolo » Mon May 01, 2006 2:05 am

aah.. sweet times of old...

I only joined FL haf a dozen ages before the end of monarchy, but that was long enough to get me hooked...
When evernight popped up, I joined DoC. But as soon as FL was revived, I decided to rejoin them.. FL in evernight was never more than a glimps of what it once had been, but still I had lots of fun there.

<advertisment>
It is the spirit of FL that I rediscovered when I joined the mercenaries. Primary focus is having fun.. If we happen to be winning, than that's double fun..
</advertisment>
Quick ! Hide ! MuM's here.....
User avatar
iolo
Stablehand
 
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Postby Stryfe » Sun May 07, 2006 10:02 pm

I was in the Isonian version with Asoc and Fireslash!


Ahahahah. Fireslash... I miss that dude.
WeeC
Hall Of Fame
im in a place full of leto's im scared and cold :(
User avatar
Stryfe
Azn Invasion ZOMG!
 
Posts: 4015
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Toronto

Postby Killie » Wed Jun 07, 2006 4:55 pm

Lol!

I remember writing all the FL charter and such for Oleana.

*sniffs*

It was fun!
Scotland Forever!!

Getting Married on July 7th 2007
User avatar
Killie
Journeyman
 
Posts: 2317
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Postby Bundesbank » Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:04 pm

i agmed fl under an alt that only some 3 people knew about.

i still can't believe we went to war at 4k acres one age, lol
-die bankier
ich bin die bundesbank

WeeC | WTFPWND | NX | NPAC
officially endorses MoP's candidacy
User avatar
Bundesbank
Grand Arbiter of NPAC
 
Posts: 5879
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: captaining the internet

Postby Winders » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:19 pm

I think Taff told me we had recruited you after a few beers once...

Yep, I'm a very occasional lurker. Just the time delay issues as a Brit, study and in general other life issues dragged me away. In any case, the whole bitchiness of Guilds and the right-turn of Comments turned me somewhat away from the old community.

For the record, I was about in old school FL from about 1999 when Killie recruited me, and proudly wore the green of Oleana. Happy days really. Came again when it was resurrected here at Evernight- I remember guild wars timed around UK pub and club closing hours where most of the Brits couldn't see the screen, let alone type :) Worryingly, they usually were the most sucessfull strikes...
"Take my shoes off and I will throw them in the lake
And I will be two footsteps on the water"

LoF's Space-age Scarecrow
User avatar
Winders
Peasant
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Lesta innit

Postby Killie » Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:14 pm

Lol 1999 Winders, seems eons ago eh!!
Scotland Forever!!

Getting Married on July 7th 2007
User avatar
Killie
Journeyman
 
Posts: 2317
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Postby Winders » Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:23 pm

Yeah, we were all so young and fresh-faced then :) I made a killing selling you half-used phonecards at full price late at night when you needed to war too...
"Take my shoes off and I will throw them in the lake
And I will be two footsteps on the water"

LoF's Space-age Scarecrow
User avatar
Winders
Peasant
 
Posts: 781
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Lesta innit

Postby Vesperan » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:08 am

Hey again guys - randomly decided to check the forums.

Congrats on the impending marriage Killie!

Hope everyone else is well and the like (I am). Currently I have no immediate/medium term plans to head over to your side of the world, but it is almost a duty for young Kiwi's to head over there - so who knows. Wouldn't mind actually meeting you guys and having a drink, or several, when the time does in fact come.
Neither individuals nor corporations have any right to come into court and ask that the clock of history be stopped, or turned back.
User avatar
Vesperan
Peasant
 
Posts: 889
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: New Zealand

Postby Killie » Sat Apr 21, 2007 10:17 pm

Vespie, if you ever head over here make sure you let me know!

I am always up for meeting Colonials who make it back to the motherland :P
Scotland Forever!!

Getting Married on July 7th 2007
User avatar
Killie
Journeyman
 
Posts: 2317
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Postby Pistol » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:20 pm

Vesp if you come over give me a shout too .

A beer or 4 would be a good plan!!
"I contend that we are the finest race in the world and that the more of the world we inhabit the better it is for the human race" Taken from the Will of John Cecil Rhodes. If only his dreams had come true.
User avatar
Pistol
Peasant
 
Posts: 697
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Wigan - England

Postby Lak » Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:59 pm

Did someone say beer?

And I need to look up the old rp threads again somewhere on the big web... since my computer with kaboom on xmas eve and I had to kinda.. throw it (and when I say throw it, I mean I now have a really expensive but interesting side table next to my sofa in the lounge).
~LoF~ * ~FL~ * ~AoA~
"Fractions of fear make shadows of nothing."
~I look to my Eskimo Friend
When I'm down, down, down...~
User avatar
Lak
Mad but cute
 
Posts: 5893
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Falkirk, Scotland, UK


Return to Guild Roll Call

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users