Once Upon A Time There Was This Place Called Braggart's Hall

- General Comments.

Moderators: Voice Dax, Voice Aeneas

Once Upon A Time There Was This Place Called Braggart's Hall

Postby Lady Maven » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:38 am

And it had a game attached to it. But mostly, it was this place called Braggart's Hall. And like all great places it had a story.

This is our story.

Neurosis
posted Feb 26, 2000 10:05 CT (US) Profile Email Edit Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yep, this is post 10k according to my profile. Is it accurate? Not entirely. Quite a while back I had to reset BH. When I did I wiped everyone's post counts. Except mine. I kinda guesstimated. Several people informed me that my guess was off severely, so this is probably really only post 9000-something, but I don't really care.
A list of the people important to myself and the game would be impossible to create. I could include 10,000 names and still miss as many or more. So, given the futility of such a task, I think I'll just wax nostalgic instead...

[Some of the vets are sick to death of hearing about NWN, but the story begins there, so bear with me.]

In July of 1997 AOL closed down an online AD&D game called Neverwinter Nights (NWN). It was one of (if not the) first fully graphical multiplayer games. It had a very long-standing and tight-knit community. The core group was small (under 1000) but very active and very very vocal.

Well, three or four months before the game closed I was in a guild called KAAOS. It was pretty much a guild devoted to flame wars and was really rather pathetic, but because of a few key members it had a well established reputation.

Well anyways, at the time, we'd grown bored with beating around the other established guilds and instead started a brief war with a somewhat younger guild called SATAN. They'd been around for some time but because of some bad apples had never really gained any respect.

After a few flames and some deathmatch controversy (yes I was responsible for both: I lost a PVP and didn't follow through on the terms), things started to settle into the same old rut. Recycled flames, stale catchphrases, the same people posting the same shit, over and over and over... I got bored. I started a RP. At the time "Neurosis" was banned (I'd composed and recited a few nasty limericks about the game staff), so I was posting under the name Murder (or was it Father? I forget). I went looking for any SATAN member to join in my RP.

After scouring their boards, the only one I saw who wasn't writing tavern-chat or cybersex was a one-eyed demon/leper named Decae. I tracked him down in the game and harassed him into making a one-shot appearance in my RP.

Well, couple months passed and NWN closed down. I'd quit KAAOS and re-opened my guild: Evernight Citadel (ENC). We were checking out other games, looking for a replacement for NWN. We settled on a game called Lords of Empyria. Decae was the GM of SATAN, and was there, along with several other NWN guilds.

LoE, in a word, sucked. It was run by a Nazi-esque freak who once proclaimed that the 1st Amendment was a coward's shield. This guy's idea of player input was "Tell me how great I am or take a hike."

Well, there's Dustin and I, each leading relatively young guilds, filled with overeager players bored to death, heading into a game that had been "a week from open beta" for three months. Our members are tired of waiting and a few start to wander off. I get the brilliant idea that a flame war/rivalry between ENC and SATAN would be a good way to keep interests up, at least for a little while. I pitched the idea to Decae and he agreed.

Things went to hell, and fast. The SATAN "elders" didn't like what was happening. They went behind Decae's back and started complaining to the staff for every ENC post on their public guild boards.

Well, it was around that time that Dustin and I met for the first time in real life. I was living in Tampa with some other players of NWN (MECH Jewel, WhiteAngl, and KaaosDeath). He drove down from Valdosta, GA and spent the weekend partying with us. The last day, I somehow managed to convince him to give me admin access over the SATAN guild boards. Needless to say, things got quite colorful when I made their boards the homepage for the Mongoloid Gay Olympic Games.

SATAN whined and bitched and whined some more. Dustin got pissed and quit as GM to join ENC. Staff cracked down and all hell broke loose. My entire guild was banned and LoE's creator uttered those famous words:

"If you don't like it, make your own game!"

=smirk=

Two months pass. I tried finding another home for the Evernight Citadel but failed. There simply wasn't any good games on the Net. This was the Quake era, RPGs were dead. I tried a game called Solaria at the urging of some friends but couldn't convince any of ENC to follow me.

My personal life went to hell. I was fighting with all my friends and in severe financial trouble. I had a relationship end badly and lost my job. I got evicted. I had only left Missouri six months before and did not want to return home in defeat. Add to that the fact that I'd been seeing Pious for about a month and things were already serious between us. I really didn't want to leave the FL/GA area.

In stepped Dustin. He was a jet mechanic in the air force, living in an unheated trailer with his pregnant wife and a coworker. He offered me a place to stay that was within driving distance of Macon (where Kat was going to school). I moved in around October 97.

That fall was rough. We were 15 miles from town and with only one car (we spent so much time fixing that car that Dustin and I joked about becoming Honda mechanics). Both of us were pretty low on self-esteem. We were drinking heavily. Coke & vodka. We both felt trapped.

Dustin was doing some web page construction for a dumb ass bitch he knew off AOL. He enlisted my help and we struggled to produce a mess of pages to this woman's hideous requirements (mint green background with orange and yellow text... in other words: puke).

Well, like I said, we felt trapped and were looking for a means of escape. We saw the web as an opportunity to make some extra cash. We produced one of the very first DHTML pages for our new company: Evernight Design. Collapsing buttons, flying layered pages, and Aztec pyramids. Friends loved the page, but even with our bargain-bin prices we didn't get a single customer.

Around that time I gave Solaria/Earth another shot and convinced Dustin to play with me. Back then the game was pathetically simple: 4 buildings, 4 units, spies, and not much else. We each ran multiple countries and managed to worm our way into the top 10. After doing so we quickly became bored. It was impossible to win without cheating, and not worth the time it took to play that many accounts.

We decided to make our own game. It was late December, we were both pursuing careers as alcoholics, and we figured that making a simple game wouldn't be too hard. (At the time our knowledge of HTML was intermediate at best and our knowledge of PERL was non-existent.)

Christmas arrived and we wasted time playing with numbers. "At 10 cents per banner click with 1000 players each clicking once a day we'd make $3000 a month!" "Well, with 3000 players..." We repeated such nonsense enough times until we actually began to believe it. We had visions of fast cash and a hunger for success. We also had a 500 count box of Blow Pops, bulk bags of tortilla chips, and a steady supply of coke and vodka.

December 26, 1997, work on Monarchy began. Our initial design was skimpy to say the least: a half-page of notes and some scribbles on a stolen dry-erase board. We didn't even have a name for the game yet (we called it "Medieval Solaria" amongst ourselves).

The plot: three religions at war. That was it. I took the names Barnabas and Angelique from a 60s horror/soap called Dark Shadows but neither of us had a good idea for the 3rd god. Finally I decided to use the name Leto (based on Duke Leto Atredis from Dune).

We had two things going for us. First, we'd both been involved with long-running online gaming communities. This let us avoid some of the hurdles that plagued other games. For example, we knew better than to make it a battle of Good vs. Evil. Such a game would grow stale quickly as all the experienced players would flock to the Evil religion, simply because it let them behave more outrageously. Instead we created an atmosphere in which none of the three were exactly virtuous and at least one was a cold-blooded murderer.

Our second strength was simple stubbornness. Both Dustin and I are arrogant and competitive. A week into the design, we both pretty much stepped away from the computers and said "Fuck this. This game is going to suck." Within the next two hours we filled about 10 pages of hand written notes. Ideas were flying back and forth. Training, fortresses, ambush, multiple treaty levels, and a whole host of ideas that didn't make the cut (customizable units, prisons to hold enemy captives, healers, and more).

Re-armed we went back to the computers and started chugging out code. I think we both knew then that the next time we backed down would be the last, so we decided we needed to go public soon. Once our reputations were at stake, backing down was not an option. We redid the Evernight Design page, threw up a message board (a very primitive Braggarts Hall), and then proceeded to spam other game's message boards to get some traffic.

We had Main, Fortify, and part of Township. None complete. We blatantly lied about the game's readiness. We threw together bits and pieces so that when we let the first few testers play, they could at least see what we had planned. Instead of standard errors we littered the game with snide comments and attitude. We tried making it personal as much as possible: "Welcome to your kingdom, Lord Whoever."

We let the first batch of testers in (pre-Alpha, like 10 people). Mostly they were our friends. Either they managed to see the game's potential or they didn't want to hurt our feelings, but the initial reactions were 90% positive. Braggarts became active as more and more people waited to get in. I can still remember us grinning and boasting over seeing 50 posts in one day.

Slightly worried that the public would grow bored of waiting, and also in a rush to get at that fantasy cash, we released a "closed" Alpha. In truth, it was open: we let in everyone who applied. Some 300 players rushed in and we sat back giggling, watching as the game actually ran on its own. We sat there till dawn that first night, just watching it go. We had one spell and one form of attack (which didn't work right half the time). Scum was functionless. Tithe a joke.

It didn't last long. We were leasing space from a massively overcrowded web server (there were something like 2000 other web sites on the server). Even in its infantile form, Monarchy was too heavy a load for that. Lag was a bitch. Players were saying it took 3 minutes to load a page. The server would shut us down almost daily.

February 98: We'd switched hosts three times. My Pentium 150 died, we had to share Dustin's old 486/66. We'd moved, we were in town now. Broke as hell, we'd been booted by several advertising companies for fraudulous click throughs. I was writing code 10-16 hours a day, with occasional marathon sessions going over 24. Dustin would come home from working 10 hour shifts for the Air Force (Saddam was acting up again then) and pound out code for 8-10 hours before collapsing from exhaustion.

We were living off coffee and cans of Castleberry Chili. We'd made maybe $50 off advertising. We pushed each other until we snapped. Violent shouting arguments became common. We'd scream and fight, only to find out 10 minutes later that we'd actually been in agreement all along, only been too tired to coherently express our ideas.

One day in particular became something of a Monarchy legend. I had accidentally wiped half the game the day before (did I mention we did 99% of our development live?). Well, Dustin decided we needed an away-from-computer project. He decided he wanted to build a fish pond in the front yard.

We hit Home Depot, bought some cement, wire mesh, and some assorted rocks (for decoration). Think we may have hit a bar on the way home, cause I know it wasn't until around Midnight that we actually started working. Picture if you will, two white guys digging a massive hole in their front yard at Midnight on a Friday in the middle of an all Black neighborhood. We're out there with pick and shovel while cars drive by really really slow.

Well, after digging the hole we spent about an hour mixing concrete in a bucket. We then quickly discovered that we really didn't know what the fuck we were doing. Too thin, too thick, not enough rocks... long story short, we ended up with a giant 2 foot deep mud puddle in the front yard every time it rained.

I can't really remember when we opened the Beta. We had over 1000 players almost immediately and kept growing and growing. Monarchy was constantly hopping from server to server to try to keep up with the load. General opinion among the players was that the game kicked ass but was still a couple months from being complete.

We got suckered by some idiot in Chicago who promised us some contract work for custom CGI scripts. Nothing he wanted was complicated, but the money he was promising us never appeared. I only wrote one program for him, but all the phone calls, emails, chats, and negotiations took way too much time away from Monarchy.

Which reminds me of something else: ICQ. We were the first game out there to actually have an ICQ account. This was before we had Saints, so the ICQ was staffed exclusively by Dustin or myself. We prided ourselves on keeping it available at least 8 hours a day. Player suggestions frequently found their way into the game and our ICQ list grew to mammoth size (over 5000 names, easily).

Monitoring EMail and BH soon became such a chore that some days we'd spend 4-6 hours doing nothing but replying to email (we were big on the idea of replying to every single email) and reading the boards. The load quickly became too much however, so we started turning more and more of it over to Saints. Pious stepped in and helped when she could.

By the summer, news of our financial woes was common knowledge. I'd been working full time on Monarchy for six months now. Dustin's check was going straight to rent and server hosting, with only a trickle left over for living. Things started looking really bleak. We sought out investors and even buyers, but none were willing to commit any money on such an untested company and product.

What happened next was amazing. The members of BH actually organized a collection plate of sorts. They mailed us cash and checks, $5, $10, $20... whatever they had. Paying for a free game. All told I think we received around 40 donations from all over the world, just under $300. We wrote down all the names and amounts. I'll bet Dustin still has that list stuffed away somewhere. Wish I had it now, I'd love to post it.

The game went gold before it was ready, but no one really seemed to mind. I think it was obvious by then that we would always be tweaking at it somehow. Think that must have been June. After that Monarchy settled down a little. Life on the other hand, did not. Dustin's daughter was born: Alaura Majestic (the middle name had to be an M-word). Dustin got approved for base housing and that helped a lot financially. I got a job working as an overnight cashier at the local convenience store.

We were being strung along by an advertising agent. We were generating $600-$1500 a month but the checks were always over the horizon. For those of you that have ever considered making a site like this, think again. We'd run the banner for 1-3 months. It would then be another 2-4 months before the advertiser paid our rep (if ever), and then another 1-2 months before he actually got around to mailing us our check. Thats 4-9 months turnover time. We were in the red before we even started. Think we only ever got two checks from him, and neither was over $200. Still, it was not always a bad time. Re-discovered the art of frisbee.

Enter Shareplay. You know, I can't remember how we got in contact with them. I think it was just some ICQ thing. They had recently announced a new game called Space Merchant, and had another, Panumbra, that had been in development for over a year. The owner, Jon, was doing financial consulting in Atlanta to pay for the business which was actually located in Illinois. They were interested in buying Monarchy, and by that point we were so in debt that we were ready to give it away.

We arranged a face-to-face meeting with Jon and his wife and arranged the sale of Monarchy. That was August, I believe. We each got computers and some office equipment. Shareplay hired us part-time on a $500 monththly salary. I used the money from the sale of Monarchy to get an apartment, an engagement ring, and to take a trip back home for the holidays.

After that Evernight Design dissolved. Lasted less than a year. I've moved twice since then. Three different jobs. New relationship. New friends come and gone. Done all kinds of new crazy shit, but doubt there'll ever be a year as insane as that one.

In closing, I would just like to say thank you, to every Saint, poster, and player. What we have built here is something that Dustin and I cannot honestly take full credit for. So many of you have left your fingerprints on the game, the community, and even its creators.

Dan

Neu is gone. Decae is gone. Fuck. We broke two admins. We really ARE assholes.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out screaming "HOLY SHIT ..... what a ride"!!
Lady Maven
Royalty

Re: Once Upon A Time There Was This Place Called Braggart's Hall

Postby Reylan Talonspyre » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:23 am

I remember Neurosis.

I was never friendly with him or Decae, hell, I hardly talked to Souldemon (or perhaps it was vice versa).

Monarchy and BH were good times. But Evernight and TB are good times too.

I remember I once printed that story out, or perhaps it was Souldemon's story from BH or maybe TB and showed it to a bunch of friends who wanted to know why I still posted here and what it was that I did here.

I also once printed off Ike's ICQ conversations with me. It had my friends in tears.

I do miss Ike.

But I still like it round here, a lot.
I still think I would make a great pope.
Portia-Reylan Hegemony
Reylan Talonspyre
Sticky Fingers

Postby Sturm » Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:07 am

Lady Maven wrote:Neu is gone. Decae is gone. Fuck. We broke two admins. We really ARE assholes.

That and your reminding some how much time in as many years they've spent posting here, Yes I'm old to and I dislike being reminded. :banghead:
~Bo,Sart~ RiP~
It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death, it is then the truest valor to dare to live."
~Amo ut invenio~Fidei Defensor Vexillarius~
Sturm
Armchair Warrior

Location: Look up, see that funny colored star...Smile please!!

Postby ~Vox~ » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:38 am

Picture if you will, two white guys digging a massive hole in their front yard at Midnight on a Friday in the middle of an all Black neighborhood. We're out there with pick and shovel while cars drive by really really slow.

At least Dec wasn't wearing the pink boa and shiny pants ;p
Monkey see, Monkey do
~Vox~
Journeyman

Postby SoulDemon » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:48 am

Its funny reading that because even before I really "knew" Neu or Dec, or had even heard of Monarchy my own history in both NWN and LoE was tied into theirs. Maybe tonight I'll write that up and post it.

I guess its even more amusing to me to think of some of the people who used to be here from COR and MECH and those early guilds, who's ass I handed to them many of nights in NWN. Or the fact that the creator of LoE first banned Neu and Dec, and then I was the third person to get the boot from that game for somewhat related situations. Haha.
This user no longer exists.
SoulDemon
User no longer exists

Postby Atla » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:37 am

I remember Neu's failed site called fishnetstockings or something like that, hosting pictures of BH posters wearing fish net stockings.
~Atla!
Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but Peace! -MajGen Rupertus, USMC.
Atla
Urban Cowboy w/Guns

Postby Kyhera » Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:45 am

Good times good times, although I think LoE was were I actually 'met' you Demmy wasn't it? Stupid game that did not hold any of our attention long. I do think the only bash I attended was the Vegas one tied in to ex=NWNers that played on LoE. But my memory is dodgy lots of times on what games I played before.

Before I did any of this I played Shadow of Yserbius . .WHO remembers THAT?! AOL was the devil btw. :mrgreen:
Moi
Insert something clever here
MTS/OAFS
Kyhera
Peasant

Location: Somewhere in the pieces of your dream shattered world

Postby owly » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:15 pm

i came and read the boards a couple times when it was Braggart's Hall, Hatama more than me she got me comming here....

i wish no one leaves the game or left already

ho hum
Lone NUT
Anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of Robo-Cop
If you think I don't make sense think about the evidence that Big Foot is my Papa and he got to protect ME!

DoC... Trench Town Rock... Soul Rebal...Kaya.....Thank you lord
owly
Master Knight

Postby Lady Maven » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:00 pm

i wish no one leaves the game or left already

That's because you didn't know some of them. SOME of them really were rat bastards. Spanky comes to mind (we do not say his name, the fucker Goggles it and then slimes back in, but look up High King David)

There were others. Too many others that I am glad are gone.
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but to skid in sideways totally worn out screaming "HOLY SHIT ..... what a ride"!!
Lady Maven
Royalty

Postby Reggie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:23 pm

I'm pretty much a rat bastard, but I still show up from time to time. Does that count?
Reggie
Stablehand

Postby Venus » Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:30 pm

some rat bastards are more lovable than others?:PPP
Venus
Fervent
Venus
Soul of Barnabas

Postby Grunt » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:27 pm

I dont think I ever posted in BH at least not much
played for 3 years before I discovered the boards
Random acts of kindness will save the world
A Few Tend the Tree of Freedom so Many can Live in its Shade
To send men to the firing squad judicial proof is unnecessary Che Guevara
Doing the right thing is seldom popular and never easy
Grunt
Upper Royalty

Postby Atla » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:15 pm

Heh, thats funny Grunt - cause I played Monarchy for less two weeks before quitting and posting all the time instead. A trend that has continued ever since.

I... am a forum monkey.
~Atla!
Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but Peace! -MajGen Rupertus, USMC.
Atla
Urban Cowboy w/Guns

Postby SoulDemon » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:14 pm

I knew of Neurosis and Decae to some agree from NWN on AOL. Never really had much to do with either of them, might of read some of Neu's posts and maybe saw him in game a couple of times. I pretty much stalked other areas then the normal folks. Decae I may have spoken to once or twice. For some reason SATAN was always trying to recruit me (PD and PDM, Taz, etc.). When NWN died the guild I was in (S0UL) moved to LoE along with most of the rest of the NWN community. Like Neu mentioned the guy that ran it was a total egotistical dick. If you think I am or were bad, I got nothing on this guy.

I remember when Neu and Dec got banned from LoE. I was friends with Nezzar who had went and bought s.a.t.a.n.com to run as the main SATAN website. He asked me to build them the webpage and everything. The LoE boards were a version of webx I believe, and they were friggin awsome. You could have pictures and backgrounds and posting icons, they were the inspiration for BH's icons and guild forums. Part of that was customizing them. When Neu defaced the SATAN forum, I was the one that ended up cleaning it up. At the time I was quasi in SATAN anyways.

I think I was the third person to get banned from LoE. One of my S0UL buddies and I made a spoof website about how much LoE sucked. Fred (the designer of the game) got ahold of it and threatened the hell out of us. My dad actually played LoE, and Fred threatened to "Tell him on me" as a way of "punishing me". I'll never forget that. They introduced moderation into the 'suggestion' and 'feedback' forums because we pointed out all the flaws in the game. All of this yet I was one of the highest level monk characters in the game and was only pointing out the flaws in the game at the higher levels. He finally got tired of me and banned my account, and removed my ability to post.

Before I left LoE I remember getting one of my forums spammed by Dec or Neu about Monarchy. I made an account but didn't do anything with it. A few weeks later a guild that S0UL had sorta hooked up with (Circle of Assassins) decided to try out Monarchy so we all came and started playing en masse. At the time I had a solo kingdom and played Guilds solo and was attacking LOF because I thought LOF stood for Lords of Freedom, which was this gay ass bunch of goodie-twoshoes from NWN. I couldn't stand that guild, so figured I'd hit a few of their members.

We started CoA over in Monarchy I think. That lasted all of about an age. There was a guild called Devient Blood who had some old school NWN players in it. One of my buddies (SoulMaster) was friends with a few, and got me and him into DB. Thats pretty much where I started building my reputation. People like Blackie, Maverick and company can probably remember those days.

LoE is where I met Kyhera, Desi (I think), and a few others. I know I was responsible for brining Kyhera over ;p

Played the game for a couple of ages and they put up a new round of Saint signups. Decided what the hell why not. I think this was a transition period between Neu and Dec. Basically they ran in cycles where one was the main admin, the other would take a break. Neu stepped back, while Decae came forward. I really never spoke with Decae before, but he let me moderate Guilds as Ravkyn. Nother couple ages passed and I ended up answering the info@evernight.com emails, which I kid you not were 2,000+ emails a day. I'd hand type a response to each and every one of them. That turned into more responsibility. There was an edit kingdom tool I had access too, started doing more Braggarts Hall administration. Ended up dropping the Saint gig and just went with SoulDemon. Pretty much ended up the third admin.

Shareplay hated me, and during the Gameloft saga decided it was time to ban me. So "SoulDemon" disappeared from posting...but the funny part was I was still administrating. Dustin never removed my access from the boards or game, and I just did my thing in silence (had a cool posting alt too, lol) and waited a few months. This was right around the end of the Shareplay days. They pretty much Fired Neurosis and that was the last time we saw him. Dustin had a falling out and we decided to do the Tidalmark thing on our own. This was right around 2000.

We opened Tidalmark in 2000 as a pay to play option, and were self-sufficient for about a year, maybe more. Dropped the pay to play and basically afforded our server rentals through a committee of things. Crom and I were supporting it going half and half for awhile. Some other people (won't mention names) made some sizable donations during rough times. In the end it pretty much fell to me. I can honestly say I've been financing this place since about 2003, never once have had a month where it hasn't hit my credit card. For those who never understood why I can't leave - there is why.

Dustin and I did our thing up until about what, two years ago? Dustin decided he wanted to persue other things like writing his novel, enjoying his family, etc. He planned to step away after one of the Bashes at his house. I think that lasted a month before someone pissed me off and I said I was done. I stopped posting, stopped reading - but was still funding the damn thing. Took a couple of months off and decided it was worth while to come back. Been around ever since.

Dustin finally decided to step away pretty much for good. He posts on the rare occassion but has had nothing to do with the development or administration in years. He is still on friendly terms with everyone as far as I know, and I hope at some point in the future he may consider coming back and working with those who run this place to make another game or something. Can never say never with him :)

The next chapter in The Monarchy/Canon - Braggarts Hall/Tempers Ball chapter is currently being written. I'm not a coder, never pretended to be. I went out and brought in people like Kaz, Gili, Sunny and retained people like Whit and Sakkara to help keep this community alive. What started as Dustin and Dan, transitioned into Dustin, Dan and I, has now has moved on to include Kaz and his ideas and concepts.

As long as people have a need for Tempers Ball, and I can afford to finance it - I plan to keep the place around. Regardless of who is developing or administrating what, this community still has its foundation and can trace its existance back to circa 1998-1999. Thats a helluva long time for a message board, or browser game to live. We've out lived alot of our competitors, that were larger then us - and its all because of what Dustin and Dan started after being banned from a shitty game.

Amazing isn't it?
This user no longer exists.
SoulDemon
User no longer exists

Postby Sturm » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:32 pm

So it's a labor of love then is that it, lol
See told ya have somethin "good" here.

*tips hat :wink:
~Bo,Sart~ RiP~
It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death, it is then the truest valor to dare to live."
~Amo ut invenio~Fidei Defensor Vexillarius~
Sturm
Armchair Warrior

Location: Look up, see that funny colored star...Smile please!!

Postby Sylandra » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:41 am

Wow. I was just shadowing and reading and this one took me back aways. As for Neu and Decae, I blame Maven. And I'm tellin'!!!

MOM!!! Maven chased Admin types away!

Miss alot of folks from here. Hope all are well, present or otherwise.
So what's it gonna be?
Are you real to me?
Or are you non-dairy creamer?
Sylandra
Pickpocket

Postby Nether » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:41 am

I'm just waiting for the age of Saint Nether.... :superevil:

But really I've been playing this game since I was 13, I couldn't imagine not atleast reading TB everyday, besides, i'm just now starting to get some sort of reputation.
Proud member of the I've seen Venus Nekkid club
Venus-when your at war, u might fight honorably, but your still honorably dead
congrats!
Nether
Average

Postby Lady Maven » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:45 am

Sylandra's naked Sylandra's naked.

I swear, I am one of what? 6 people? 7? Who is still around. It was me or Venus. I am betting Venus though, she is quite sneaky.
Lady Maven
Royalty

Postby Nether » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:46 am

I've only been here for 12 years. So what you have 10 years on me?
Proud member of the I've seen Venus Nekkid club
Venus-when your at war, u might fight honorably, but your still honorably dead
congrats!
Nether
Average

Postby Torkano » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:00 am

In June I'll have been here for 10 years. Been posting for 8 1/2. Wow.
Sartorious lives on forever in my heart and memories!
<Thantos> so there's 5 we have to break tonite
<Sexxay-Dux> well whichuns are the biggewst
<Art_is_Sexy> can we break them with fucking?
Torkano
Don't mess with da Elf

Postby GoldWyvern » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:07 pm

For me, a player, this place has been the only thing on the internet that I always return to. From Braggarts Hall to Templar's Ball, I have met so many people. To me, it's a message board that just happens to have a game attached to it.

-I joined in Gold.
-I married someone I met here (Nitra).
-I was once a saint (a bad one, a bald one, Saint Locke)
-I ran a guild, DEM, even through I knew nothing. My greatest strength then was my patience, teaching new players what little I did know, and listening to the vets so I could pass on the information. As for combat, war? Um.. other people handled that. I just posted a lot. My wife says that people liked my arrogance, my act of knowing 'everything', when in truth, I knew nothing! :)
- I love flaming. Souldemon loves banning. It didn't work out well for me a few times.

End point: Evernight may of been something thrown together by two guys a long time ago (in internet years) that didn't pan out to be profitable, and it might be something that doesn't fit today's prime 'internet model'. Yet, it's the greatest thing that has ever happened to me, personally, with so many memories it's indescriable.

I don't have too many friends here any more. They've moved on, or we've lost touch. Life has been hectic.. but thanks to Souldemon, and I honestly mean that, I still have my place to come *home* to.

So from a player, thank you Decae, Neu, Soulie, Kaz and the rest of you guys. I have always felt I belonged here, even on the days maybe, that was the wrong assumption. :)
Facts are meaningless. You can use facts to prove anything that’s even remotely true.
-Homer Simpson
GoldWyvern
Pickpocket

Postby Lady Maven » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:18 pm

And in that place called Braggart's Hall I have foundeth proof of my existance.

MEEEEEE!!!!!

Find yours

edit/ Those are links. Why for my links be white even whenI tell them to be red?
Lady Maven
Royalty

Postby Atla » Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:32 pm

Whoa.... Memories.
~Atla!
Atla
Urban Cowboy w/Guns

Postby Venus » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:00 pm

lol i am not sneaky!:Pp

and its been a long long time since the first time i came here

i started out playing chaos and dindt even find the boards till a month later

it was some time around gold i think
but i forget dates nowdays:P

what was that game called, it was basically solo but it was called something else
i played it one age then they took it away. u coudlnt have allies and u were basically on your own
just like solo but it was named a different thing back then.

was it called non guilds? that doesnt sound right... my memory sucks
Venus
Fervent
Venus
Soul of Barnabas

Postby LordGalvatron » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:29 pm

Hey Lady Maven how do you look up your profile there, did you just have to dig through the links to find it or is there an easy way?
Appearently the best free agent out there.
<Artanis> Galvy, you're my hero.
one part of the triad GM of DARK
LordGalvatron
Peasant

Next

Return to Comments