Guns vs No Guns

- General Comments.

Moderators: Voice Dax, Voice Aeneas

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Losmar » Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:37 pm

But what would a poor ogre do w/o his Dung Beetles...
Savage Hordesman
Bad Renegade Mercenary from a Confederate Republic
"Your people are threatening to rebel over your warmongering."
Almost a Survivor...
User avatar
Losmar
Necromancer
 
Posts: 3758
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: tecumseh, MI

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Atla » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:25 pm

While I'm waiting for the Nyquil to work, if it does this time, does anyone here by some magical chance happen to have the ballistics on a 8mm Mauser 196 grain FMJBT travelling at 2400fps?

I'm having a helluva hard time figuring it out.

Cause see, naughty me bought a bunch of Yugoslavian Sniper Grade mauser ammo for my mauser.... and us American's make 8mm mauser ammo, but we tone it down for some idiotic reason. American 196 grain bullets only travel at around 1800fps, and those 600fps make some difference in it's trajectory.

And I can't find no charts or nothing that deals with 'full power' 8mm ammo.
~Atla!
Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but Peace! -MajGen Rupertus, USMC.
User avatar
Atla
Urban Cowboy w/Guns
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Out back, playing with Tonka Trucks.

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Grunt » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:43 pm

goes off to find an old shooters bible
maybe 2 marrow befor I can find it
Random acts of kindness will save the world
A Few Tend the Tree of Freedom so Many can Live in its Shade
To send men to the firing squad judicial proof is unnecessary Che Guevara
Doing the right thing is seldom popular and never easy
User avatar
Grunt
Upper Royalty
 
Posts: 10189
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Shalimar

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Grunt » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:49 pm

I am assuming you have norma 196 Alaska as it travels at 2395 FPS
Random acts of kindness will save the world
A Few Tend the Tree of Freedom so Many can Live in its Shade
To send men to the firing squad judicial proof is unnecessary Che Guevara
Doing the right thing is seldom popular and never easy
User avatar
Grunt
Upper Royalty
 
Posts: 10189
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Shalimar

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Grunt » Tue Apr 22, 2008 10:52 pm

range 0 100 200 300

velocity 2395 2112 1850 1611

energy 2714 2190 1754 1399

arc 0 0 -6.3 -22.9
Random acts of kindness will save the world
A Few Tend the Tree of Freedom so Many can Live in its Shade
To send men to the firing squad judicial proof is unnecessary Che Guevara
Doing the right thing is seldom popular and never easy
User avatar
Grunt
Upper Royalty
 
Posts: 10189
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Shalimar

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Sturm » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:09 am

All this talk of guns, bullets and ranges is making me reminisce.
~Bo,Sart~ RiP~
It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death, it is then the truest valor to dare to live."
~Amo ut invenio~Fidei Defensor Vexillarius~
User avatar
Sturm
Armchair Warrior
 
Posts: 6832
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Look up, see that funny colored star...Smile please!!

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Atla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:23 am

No, it's not Norma 196 Alaska, Norma by the way has a really good Ballistics gizmo on their website. You can even 'create' your own bullet, which I did and came pretty close I think.

It's Yugoslavian military surplus ammo, from the area that is now Serbia I believe.

But I think I've a good enough idea now for what I'm using it for. Thanks for the help!
~Atla!
Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but Peace! -MajGen Rupertus, USMC.
User avatar
Atla
Urban Cowboy w/Guns
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Out back, playing with Tonka Trucks.

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby owly » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:42 am

Just out of curiosity i wonder what the tazer law is on campuses...
Lone NUT
Anything you say can and will be held against you in a court of Robo-Cop
If you think I don't make sense think about the evidence that Big Foot is my Papa and he got to protect ME!

DoC... Trench Town Rock... Soul Rebal...Kaya.....Thank you lord
User avatar
owly
Master Knight
 
Posts: 6022
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: I'm In Your Frige Stealing Your Food!!!

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Losmar » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:12 pm

I have an axe in my car... but that's just b/c I forgot to take it out when I got home from the grandparent's place. There rules against having tools like that in one's car?

Alta, what would the ballistics matter for how you want to use it? And how are you going to use it?
Savage Hordesman
Bad Renegade Mercenary from a Confederate Republic
"Your people are threatening to rebel over your warmongering."
Almost a Survivor...
User avatar
Losmar
Necromancer
 
Posts: 3758
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: tecumseh, MI

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Sturm » Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:05 pm

Atla wrote:It's Yugoslavian military surplus ammo, from the area that is now Serbia I believe.
But I think I've a good enough idea now for what I'm using it for. Thanks for the help!


7.92x57mm Mauser - The standard German service rifle cartridge from 1888 to 1945, the 7.92x57mm (aka 8mm Mauser) has seen wide distribution around the globe through commercial, surplus, and military sales. Serbia continues to use it in sniper rifles and GPMG. It compares favorably to the 7.62x54mmR Russian and 7.62x51mm NATO. Good against all targets.



*Word of Waring* wrote:link
A word of warning though, as many of the late war era German 98k Mausers were made out of inferior materials, and had poor workmanship(due to the pressures involved with wartime manufacture), many of these rifles-98k- cannot withstand the full pressure loads(like the milsurp ammo) that the M48 yugo can.As a result, most USA factory ammuntion is sadly anemic, to protect MORONS who may try to use an unsafe rifle. Therefore, if you can't get a good supply of Military surplus ammo, and don't want to reload, perhaps this is not the rifle for you.


Becareful with your toy's Atla. lol
~Bo,Sart~ RiP~
It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death, it is then the truest valor to dare to live."
~Amo ut invenio~Fidei Defensor Vexillarius~
User avatar
Sturm
Armchair Warrior
 
Posts: 6832
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Look up, see that funny colored star...Smile please!!

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Grunt » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:04 pm

Atla I would suggest you invest in the shooters bible
great refrence of firearms and different rounds
nothing like actual reference books
Google only gets you so far
Random acts of kindness will save the world
A Few Tend the Tree of Freedom so Many can Live in its Shade
To send men to the firing squad judicial proof is unnecessary Che Guevara
Doing the right thing is seldom popular and never easy
User avatar
Grunt
Upper Royalty
 
Posts: 10189
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Shalimar

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Atla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:27 pm

Well, I think I have an old one laying around somewhere. The book I reference most from is 'Boston's Gun Bible'.... which is an absolute must for any shooter.

I'm not shooting a German k98 Mauser, I'm shooting a Yugo 24/47. It can handle the pressure just dandy. But the German's had pretty good tolerances right up til it looked like they were going to loose - than it was a desperate race to crank them out.

As for Tasers, my campus doesn't allow them. If you look at your college's website there should be some sort of Student Guideline book that has a weapons section.

I was actually breaking the law every single time I went on campus I found out -after- I graduated and started working up a Self Defense program to teach on the campus.
~Atla!
Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but Peace! -MajGen Rupertus, USMC.
User avatar
Atla
Urban Cowboy w/Guns
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Out back, playing with Tonka Trucks.

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Sturm » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:54 pm

Hey!!
*just shakes head
No slaggin Google..mmkay
Google gets you Guns an Ammo Ballistic tables

;p
Last edited by Anonymous on Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Bo,Sart~ RiP~
It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death, it is then the truest valor to dare to live."
~Amo ut invenio~Fidei Defensor Vexillarius~
User avatar
Sturm
Armchair Warrior
 
Posts: 6832
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Look up, see that funny colored star...Smile please!!

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Atla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:55 pm

I am VERY seriously considering a LOSOK custom build rifle off a Mauser platform. (click LOSOK for the guys website)

Basically, you tell the guy exactly what you want and he builds the rifle to your specs using a Mauser action.

Here's some pics of the ones he's done before.

Image
Image
Image

Extremely pretty and accurate stuff.

The Mauser action is pretty nifty in that it can be rechambered for different rounds fairly easily. So you can turn it to a fair amount of different calibers. Put a new heavy free floated barrel on, a good trigger and your set.

I've a real hard on for the first one I pictured.

More rifles <--Clicky.

I've already begun talking to the guy about what I want, I just need to settle on a stock!
~Atla!
Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but Peace! -MajGen Rupertus, USMC.
User avatar
Atla
Urban Cowboy w/Guns
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Out back, playing with Tonka Trucks.

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Sturm » Wed Apr 23, 2008 4:58 pm

I likes the wood grain one...classy
~Bo,Sart~ RiP~
It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death, it is then the truest valor to dare to live."
~Amo ut invenio~Fidei Defensor Vexillarius~
User avatar
Sturm
Armchair Warrior
 
Posts: 6832
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Look up, see that funny colored star...Smile please!!

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Atla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 5:10 pm

I've never -really- been a fan of wood stocks. I love the wood stock on my Yugo 24/47 Mauser, but thats really the only gun I've ever handled that I've wanted to keep a wood stock on. And probably because the wood stock is kind of dinged up from around WWII so it gives it a lot of character.

Now, I suppose a M1 Carbine or M1 Garand I would keep a wood stock on just for both collectors sake and nostalgia. Anything else, synthetic.


Besides, I'm just going to camo it myself anyways. Heh. ;>
~Atla!
Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but Peace! -MajGen Rupertus, USMC.
User avatar
Atla
Urban Cowboy w/Guns
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Out back, playing with Tonka Trucks.

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Atla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:41 pm

This isn't exactly the most umm... 'masculine' photo of a rifle, but heres a quickie of my Mauser. So you can see why I like the stock. It's beat up, so it's got some character.

Image
Image
~Atla!
Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but Peace! -MajGen Rupertus, USMC.
User avatar
Atla
Urban Cowboy w/Guns
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Out back, playing with Tonka Trucks.

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Venus » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:42 pm

aww u gave your gun a teddy bear!!!

:P
Venus
Fervent
User avatar
Venus
Soul of Barnabas
 
Posts: 8918
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: im right here!

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Atla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:45 pm

Okay.

#1. Yes that is my teddy bear.
#2. Yes that is actually the blanket that is on my bed.
#3. Yes that is the 'Atla Love Nest' underneth my Mauser.
~Atla!
Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but Peace! -MajGen Rupertus, USMC.
User avatar
Atla
Urban Cowboy w/Guns
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Out back, playing with Tonka Trucks.

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Sturm » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:38 pm

A teddy bear ?!...Dude, if you must put some damn camo pants and a NRA t-shirt on it for gawd sake.
~Bo,Sart~ RiP~
It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death, it is then the truest valor to dare to live."
~Amo ut invenio~Fidei Defensor Vexillarius~
User avatar
Sturm
Armchair Warrior
 
Posts: 6832
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Look up, see that funny colored star...Smile please!!

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Atla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:41 pm

It's wearing a TUX!
~Atla!
Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but Peace! -MajGen Rupertus, USMC.
User avatar
Atla
Urban Cowboy w/Guns
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Out back, playing with Tonka Trucks.

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Gerien » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:42 pm

Atla wrote:Okay.

#1. Yes that is my teddy bear.
#2. Yes that is actually the blanket that is on my bed.
#3. Yes that is the 'Atla Love Nest' underneth my Mauser.

#1 - the teddy bear lures the girls in
#2 - the gun makes sure they stay
#3 - the "Atla Love Nest" is thus explained.
Grunt wrote:Its a Bird
Its a plane
Its Super Librarian

Read about our journey to open The Dog House hot dog restaurant
User avatar
Gerien
Threadjacker
 
Posts: 4776
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: http://thedoghousehotdogs.blogspot.com

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Sturm » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:04 pm

Gerien wrote:
Atla wrote:Okay.

#1. Yes that is my teddy bear.
#2. Yes that is actually the blanket that is on my bed.
#3. Yes that is the 'Atla Love Nest' underneth my Mauser.

#1 - the teddy bear lures the girls in
#2 - the gun makes sure they stay
#3 - the "Atla Love Nest" is thus explained.

Why i envision Atla and a dark colored beat up van being seen frequenting the local campus sites, trying to offer girls a peek at his tux wearing teddy bear, is beyond me. ;p
~Bo,Sart~ RiP~
It is a brave act of valor to condemn death, but where life is more terrible than death, it is then the truest valor to dare to live."
~Amo ut invenio~Fidei Defensor Vexillarius~
User avatar
Sturm
Armchair Warrior
 
Posts: 6832
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Look up, see that funny colored star...Smile please!!

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Atla » Wed Apr 23, 2008 9:50 pm

Rofl. It was a gift, and I'll probably keep it until I die.

It's a Build-A-Bear... so if I ever loose my temper at the person who gave it to me I would cut it's heart out and mail it to them. But thats not exactly likely, even given the current situation between us.
~Atla!
Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but Peace! -MajGen Rupertus, USMC.
User avatar
Atla
Urban Cowboy w/Guns
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Out back, playing with Tonka Trucks.

Re: Guns vs No Guns

Postby Nato » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:03 pm

I am speechless.

And completely repulsed!

No wonder you're not getting laid!
User avatar
Nato
Pickpocket
 
Posts: 1528
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia.

PreviousNext

Return to Comments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users