Let the right one in

- General Comments.

Moderators: Voice Dax, Voice Aeneas

Let the right one in

Postby Absinthe » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:41 pm

It's been awhile, I thought I'd drop by.

I watched Let the right one in on the advice of friends a few weeks ago. It's a Swedish vampire film. I have to say it's one of the most disturbing pieces of film I've ever seen. Subtle in the sense that what is most disturbing about it all happens in your own head.
A small masterpiece.

While I'm at it, I just finished Dan Simmon's Drood. Ever want to read an astute well researched piece of literary horror where the first person narrator is completely bugshit insane? And he has no idea. Well then this is for you.

Anybody else run into anything singular lately?
the sky is boiling
and there's something wrong with jane
User avatar
Absinthe
Peasant
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Re: Let the right one in

Postby Isildur » Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:49 pm

If you get the chance to ever watch the movie "Blades", run.

Run like hell.

Go fluff your pillows or find something similarly useful to do.

No, this ain't the Wesley Snipes series. This is about a giant man-killing golf course professional lawnmower, possessed a la "Christine", being tracked and hunted by a hippy in the Mystery Machine.

Waste just 15 minutes in front of the tube, and you'll spend the next 2 hours watching hoping you get 15 minutes worth of value back.

Then if you are drunk enough another night, you'll do the same.

Nothing besides death or coma can make you sit through more than 2 showings, and I'm not sure that you haven't slipped into one of those states to make it through the second one.
Economic ignorance is to politicians what idle hands are to the devil. Both provide the workshop for the creation of evil. - Walter Williams
User avatar
Isildur
Upper Royalty
 
Posts: 11892
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Re: Let the right one in

Postby Reylan Talonspyre » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:26 am

I finished the Warlord Series from Bernard Cornwell and now have an empty feeling where my soul used to be.

I don't think I have ever, in my entire life, had a book so engross me that I miss it and the characters created.

Guess I am going to have to read it again.
I still think I would make a great pope.
Portia-Reylan Hegemony
User avatar
Reylan Talonspyre
Sticky Fingers
 
Posts: 9912
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Gatekeepers

Re: Let the right one in

Postby Absinthe » Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:41 am

I have another recommendation Ekaterina Sedia's The alchemy of Stone is a nice dark allegory. Worth reading and improving her sales at the same time.

And I just saw something interesing on a book jacket. Guillermo Del Toro is slated to direct The Hobbit in two films.
the sky is boiling
and there's something wrong with jane
User avatar
Absinthe
Peasant
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Re: Let the right one in

Postby Mickal Redwater » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:58 pm

I've had Let The Right One In on my netflix for a while, will need to shift it up higher on my queue.

If you like horror, i'm your man ;) I read a lot of horror (along with other books) though oddly enough i struggle writing it sometimes.


I just got a few anthologies of some horror shortstories that are good. The Borderlands series is good (there are 4 of them, the last one being the most publicized since it has a Stephen King story in it) or an anthology called 999 (came out it 1999) thats really good too.

I"ll have to pick up Brood, i love stories where the narrators are crazy ;)
Lancelot: Would it not be a comfort, just for a time, to believe that we create our own Heavens, and our own Hells?
FEL forever
User avatar
Mickal Redwater
Pickpocket
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:42 pm
Location: Pride in the Desert

Re: Let the right one in

Postby Tara » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:41 pm

Hey guys..I'm joining Abs', 'been a while thing,' .. so whaa'choo doo'in t'night?
For a latest movie I'ma say, The Boat That Rocked. Never heard of it till we watched it, completely cool. An' by cool, I mean 60's rock kin'a cool. I liked it. An' the ending, completely awesome.

Tried reading one of Stephen King's latest, Lisey's Story. I'm one'a those "have read everything" fans of his, but this one, it seemed like a great concept but let's say I had the book overdue for like 4 months, returned it unfinished (that's either a boring book or I'm workin too much, ok some'a both!). I'm kin'a wondering what Lisey's doin an' what the next blood bool is, but it's not keepin me up at night, the wondering that is, not like a really addictive story would have me.
I forgot. At least that's what we told myself. Image
"She's a lover, baby, an'a fighter, should'a seen it comin when it got a little brighter..."
User avatar
Tara
The Wenchie
 
Posts: 2053
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: The Slippery Slope: helluva ride..

Re: Let the right one in

Postby Mickal Redwater » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:22 pm

the first like 3/4 of Liseys story is kinda slow, but the ending is good.

I liked the concept a lot, i feel he could done better.

Read the new short stories yet? (well a year old now i guess)
Lancelot: Would it not be a comfort, just for a time, to believe that we create our own Heavens, and our own Hells?
FEL forever
User avatar
Mickal Redwater
Pickpocket
 
Posts: 1033
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2003 9:42 pm
Location: Pride in the Desert

Re: Let the right one in

Postby Absinthe » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:08 am

James Lee Burke. Rain Gods. Think of No Country for Old Men, then add more of the same and better. Character development is both spare and concise. Beautiful book.
the sky is boiling
and there's something wrong with jane
User avatar
Absinthe
Peasant
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm

Re: Let the right one in

Postby Atla » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:57 pm

Monster Hunter International by Larry Correria - for any B rated movie fans out there.

I've never enjoyed any book as much as this one.

“You know what the difference between me and you really is? You look out there and see a horde of evil, brain eating zombies. I look out there and see a target rich environment.” -Dillis D. Freeman Jr. 11/2/2001

Anything that starts with a quote like that is bitchin'!

http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/mhi-sample-chapters/ <--First Chapter. Worth trying.
Five days after Owen Zastava Pitt pushed his insufferable boss out of a fourteenth story window, he woke up in the hospital with a scarred face, an unbelievable memory, and a job offer.

It turns out that monsters are real. All the things from myth, legend, and B-movies are out there, waiting in the shadows. Officially secret, some of them are evil, and some are just hungry. On the other side are the people who kill monsters for a living. Monster Hunter International is the premier eradication company in the business.

And now Owen is their newest recruit. It’s actually a pretty sweet gig, except for one little problem. An ancient entity known as the Cursed One has returned to settle a centuries old vendetta. Should the Cursed One succeed, it means the end of the world, and MHI is the only thing standing in his way. With the clock ticking towards Armageddon, Owen finds himself trapped between legions of undead minions, belligerent federal agents, a cryptic ghost who has taken up residence inside his head, and the cursed family of the woman he loves.



Business is good…



Welcome to Monster Hunter International.
~Atla!
Before God I swear this creed. My rifle and myself are the defenders of my country. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life. So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but Peace! -MajGen Rupertus, USMC.
User avatar
Atla
Urban Cowboy w/Guns
 
Posts: 4400
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm
Location: Out back, playing with Tonka Trucks.

Re: Let the right one in

Postby Absinthe » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:55 pm

House of Leaves. Disturbing, striking with multiple narratives buried in it. Labyrinthine, reading it is a deliberate interactive experience. Only thing I can think of that's comparable is Jeff Vandermeer's Ambergris stuff. But this one really hits. Creepy.

I loved just the dedication page.

This is not for you

heh.
the sky is boiling
and there's something wrong with jane
User avatar
Absinthe
Peasant
 
Posts: 526
Joined: Wed Sep 25, 2002 5:00 pm


Return to Comments

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot]